RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009

Strapless Heart Rate Monitors

Ive tried all different heart rate monitors with straps from Polar, SIgma, Garmin, etc... and it all turns into not using them since the strap constricts my breathing/performance (Im asthmatic). Ive been looking into strapless heart rate monitors and have only found a handful of companies offering them, Mio, RebokBowflex.

Do you know of any other company offering strapless heart monitors, and if you have had any what is your experience with them?

kytyree
    Not sure about now but I think in the past they weren't quite as accurate as the ones that used straps.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    I had a High Gear one, and it was awful. I had to be standing still, mashing my fingers to these two little electrodes, in order to get the darn thing to read.

Can you loosen the chest strap enough to breathe without affecting the signal? I tend to wear my strap tighter than it really needs to be....

Banned forever.....or not
    "since the strap constricts my breathing/performance "
    ??????????????????????

I guess that you could wear a Polar heart Bra.

How do you think that HRM's work? Do you want some crap that clips to your finger or ear lobe????
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Loosen the strap. Or...... replace the strap with an elastic band that has more stretch. Problem solved.

Expecting a strapless HRM to stay in place on a bike is probably expecting a bit much, IMHO.

RoadBikeReview Member
    back in the 'early' days teams used to use a wide strip of tape instead of a strap to keep monitors in place - worked great except for when it came to taking it off.

a lot of people wear the strap too high. It should be below the notch where your ribcage joins together in front

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    I also have asthma and I'll admit the HRM straps do constrict breathing a bit. You can loosen the strap, but then it wants to shift down in the back and that gets annoying.

You could lose the HRM altogether, using perceived effort, paying attention to your breathing to tell how close your are to hitting your limits.

Impulse Athletic Coaching
    What about a watch that takes your pulse from the wrist?

RoadBikeReview Member
    delete

On a different mission...
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonnitro
    What about a watch that takes your pulse from the wrist?
    They work, but you MUST be still, your skin should be fairly clean and dry and you gotta keep two fingers evenly pressed on the electrodes...to get any accurate reading. Keep your fingers pressed after the reading shows up and you can even see how fast your recovery HR occurs.

The backing of the watch MUST be clean...

Pound Solid
    Jun 2002
    I purchased a MIO, not a heart rate monitor. you have to push a button on the top to get a heart rate reading. I returned it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'd be amazed if the constricting force of the strap (assuming it's just tight enough to stay in place) has a measurable impact on breathing. Our lungs/diaphragms are damn strong - even with asthma. Are you sure it's not just uncomfortable? Asthma doesn't effect the diaphragm's strength/ability to expand/fill the lungs... it's more what the lungs can and can't do once they're full...

I'll admit, I like not wearing mine every once in a while - I think I know what women feel like when the go braless ;)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    I also have asthma and I can't at all agree with what I'm reading here... the polar straps have NO significant impact on breathing more than perhaps some psychological effect. You gotta be kidding!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I like the suunto comfort heart strap. I broke part of mine but it was super comfortable. As far as the breathing goes that's probably all in your heard or you have it on too tight. I've ridden at levels where my breathing is at maximum effort and my vision goes blurry and my chest strap is the last thing on my mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar
    I'd be amazed if the constricting force of the strap (assuming it's just tight enough to stay in place) has a measurable impact on breathing. Our lungs/diaphragms are damn strong - even with asthma. Are you sure it's not just uncomfortable? Asthma doesn't effect the diaphragm's strength/ability to expand/fill the lungs... it's more what the lungs can and can't do once they're full...

I'll admit, I like not wearing mine every once in a while - I think I know what women feel like when the go braless ;)
    I have asthma and had issues at first with my new polar hrm. It was all mental. I got over it by wearing around the house and then on rides. Never noticed it since.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerchas55
    I also have asthma and I can't at all agree with what I'm reading here... the polar straps have NO significant impact on breathing more than perhaps some psychological effect. You gotta be kidding!
    True the part moving the most is your diaphram and obviously your chest wouldn't expand that much, but damned if it doesn't feel like a chest strap is constricting.

At any rate. I think the OP should just us perceived effort and enjoy his riding and training. I had my best results in my early 30's and never used an HR or PM, I just road hard and lots and that always got me at least top 10 in every event. I have a lot more technical knowledge about cycling these days, but honestly I don't think we need all this info to ride well.