RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005

Swiss Triathlete McMahon Positive for EPO

I'm not a tri follower but just ran across this on the AP if you're interested;

Swiss Triathlete McMahon Positive for EPO
    July 01, 2005 12:28 PM EDT

BERN, Switzerland - Triathlete Brigitte McMahon, who won Switzerland's only gold medal at the 2000 Sydney Olympics, tested positive for EPO last month.

The test was done at her home June 6 and the banned performance-enhancing hormone was detected in her initial sample, the Swiss Olympic Association said Friday.

McMahon said she started taking small amounts of EPO in May because she was getting divorced and caring for her three small children.

"One of my consultants suggested I should take EPO in small doses for therapeutic reasons and said it wouldn't show up in a test," McMahon said at a news conference. "And then I made the worst possible decision and took this drug."

McMahon refused to name the adviser.

"I relied on the advice of experts, and now I don't know why," said McMahon, who holds a degree in biochemistry. "When I was told I tested positive, I was shocked."

Werner Bhend, president of the Swiss Olympic Association, said her punishment would be decided by next week but that she was being kicked off the national triathlon team.

McMahon finished 10th in the women's triathlon at the Athens Olympics

RoadBikeReview Member
    I care about a female tri-geek taking EPO and making excuses why???
    Pretty much here just to piss you off...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    I didn't mean you....

This IS the triathlon forum, someone may care.

NeoRetroGrouch
    Too much caffeine? - TF
    "Don't those guys know they're old?!!"
    Me, off the back, at my first 50+ road race.

RoadBikeReview Member
    In the grand scheme of cycling, this doesn't rate a blip on the screen. Before today, how many people had honestly even heard this woman's name?

Let me re-iterate...who cares?
    Pretty much here just to piss you off...

RIP Funny Penguin
    The 2004 Kona World Ironman was similarly tainted when the winner of the women's pro division Nina Kraft tested positive for EPO. And yes...it was a big deal in us there tri circles.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

RIP Funny Penguin
    In the grand scheme of cycling, this doesn't rate a blip on the screen. Before today, how many people had honestly even heard this woman's name?

I do...if you don't...here is a tip, stay out of the tri threads.

/have a nice day and remember to swim bike run...cause just cycling is for p#ssies.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    Amazing that someone with a biochemistry degree is shocked to find out that taking EPO will show up on a test. That must be one of those new tests that they are busting out and not telling athletes about.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005

Hmmm, I was perfectly clear in the TITLE what the message was about so I'm really unclear why you would have clicked it to begin with since you "don't care" about the topic that was CLEARLY stated up front. Then want to come in and spread crap because YOU don't care about the subject. Where's Magnolialover, bring this guy some tinfoil!!