Super Genius

Time Trial Bike setup

So, I have an older Kestrel Talon frame sitting in the garage collecting dust. I have a set of training wheels and an Ultegra 6600 group. All I'd need are some aero bars, tt shifters, and brake levers. Figure I can do this pretty cheap, so I figure what the heck. It'll be fun to play around with.

One thing, I don't have a clue how to set up the riding position. I know, I could take it to the bike shop for a fit. I race for a local shop, so it would be easy. But I like to tinker around too. What are some dos and don'ts? Any online resources? Thanks for any advise.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Wile_E_Coyote View Post
    So, I have an older Kestrel Talon frame sitting in the garage collecting dust. I have a set of training wheels and an Ultegra 6600 group. All I'd need are some aero bars, tt shifters, and brake levers. Figure I can do this pretty cheap, so I figure what the heck. It'll be fun to play around with.

One thing, I don't have a clue how to set up the riding position. I know, I could take it to the bike shop for a fit. I race for a local shop, so it would be easy. But I like to tinker around too. What are some dos and don'ts? Any online resources? Thanks for any advise.
    As long as you're not an NRC or Master's nats racer, you have a lot of flexibility with the position. If you are going to see a UCI jig, you have to start there and work backwards.

Anyway, your TT position will generally have the saddle a little more forward and perhaps lower than your road position, because your elbows hold your body weight and you want to get your torso lower, and the hips rotate forward and effectively . Try to keep the hip angle similar to what it is on your road bike and then lower the handlebars slowly as you get more comfortable in the aggressive position.

Slowtwitch has a great series of articles on TT positions, but they tend to be very tri-focussed with STA of 76+, which isn't necessarily benificial for a road racer.
    The F.I.S.T. Method for fitting triathletes to their bikes - Slowtwitch.com