competition must not exceed 10 cm or be
    less than 4 cm and their capacity must be a
    minimum of 0.4 l and a maximum of 0.8 l
    As for the wheel fairing, it should be possible
    to pass a rigid card between the bottle and
    the tube where it is attached

here is the link from USA Cycling website (page 39):
    http://www.usacycling.org/forms/uci/...n-Controls.pdf

what are you guys using for water bottles in a long (40k) time trial? I have the Xlab dual bottle holder behind my seat right now, but would like to have either the downtube aero bottle/cage such as the Xlab shown, or a handlebar-mounted area bottle with spout.

I play for keeps
    They're showing those bottles and cages because they are banned.

RoadBikeReview Member
    For a 40k ITT ... I don't carry water with me. Basically anything under an hour isn't worth it as your body carries enough water for a hard one hour effort. Drink a ton while warming up (and before the race), take a big drink before heading to the start line and you will be fine.

In ITT's the pro's carry bottles, but when is the last time you actually saw a pro use it? Usually it's a sponsorship thing.
    Bikes:
    • 2013 Scott Foil 40
    • 2013 Jamis Nova Race (winter training bike)
    • 2012 Argon 18 E-118

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ok thanks. The photos I've seen have shown either no bottle or a standard round bottle/cage on the downtube, which disrupts the aero effect of the frame.

My worry would be here in OK in 100 degree weather that I might get dehydrated in a 40k TT. But I can also see your point in hydrating before and not carrying anything during the effort.

thanks for the responses.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Only applies to UCI races or elite USAC stuff though right?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    according to that powerpoint from above... about 90% of the people i race with are not UCI compliant... I dont race UCI though... good read however!

Banned forever.....or not
    I think that I read that carrying a water bottle is more aerodynamic than without one.......(I think that a seat tube bottle acts like a fairing for the rear wheel)

Just don't bend down and drink from it.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    I think that I read that carrying a water bottle is more aerodynamic than without one.......(I think that a seat tube bottle acts like a fairing for the rear wheel)

Just don't bend down and drink from it.
    That was from a study some M.I.T. (?) students did a while back...however, it wasn't on modern aero bikes, and was performed on a regular round tubed/steel road bike.

I doubt it works as well on modern TT bikes...if it did, they would be making a wider seat tube since it would allow for more of a fairing (3:1 rule) in that same area.
    Bikes:
    • 2013 Scott Foil 40
    • 2012 Argon 18 E-118

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmitro View Post
    Ok thanks. The photos I've seen have shown either no bottle or a standard round bottle/cage on the downtube, which disrupts the aero effect of the frame.

My worry would be here in OK in 100 degree weather that I might get dehydrated in a 40k TT. But I can also see your point in hydrating before and not carrying anything during the effort.

thanks for the responses.
    In 100 degree weather...I'd consider a water bottle...though, still not sure I'd go with it.

This year the 40k I did it was in the low 80's when I did it and near the end of it could feel the effects from starting to dehydrate...though, I didn't bring, nor drink enough leading up to the TT or during the warm up.

It really ends up being a personal choice in the end. I know a lot of people that use Tri aero bottles for longer TT's here. They are not UCI nor USAC legal, but for most races they won't care much if at all.

You can always get a small camel back and put it under your skinsuit...they are legal as long as they don't act as a fairing, and you would want it small to begin with.
    Bikes:
    • 2013 Scott Foil 40
    • 2012 Argon 18 E-118

Cumudgitude
    Quote Originally Posted by jmitro View Post
    According to UCI rules:
    [I]From 1 January 2013, bottles will have to be located on the down and
    seat tubes on the inside of the frame and not be integrated to the frame
    Who did Specialized piss off? This reads to me like a big middle finger waving in the air at the Shiv.
    If you only ride in nice weather you're missing a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    Had fun building up a bike... Check!
    Having fun riding... Check!
    The rest is just details.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    The Shiv with the internal water bladder was never intended to pass UCI inspection. It is designed solely for triathlon duty, and USAT doesn't abide by UCI rules.

Cumudgitude
    Quote Originally Posted by tuffguy1500 View Post
    The Shiv with the internal water bladder was never intended to pass UCI inspection. It is designed solely for triathlon duty, and USAT doesn't abide by UCI rules.
    Touche.
    If you only ride in nice weather you're missing a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    Had fun building up a bike... Check!
    Having fun riding... Check!
    The rest is just details.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanPrimitive View Post
    Who did Specialized piss off? This reads to me like a big middle finger waving in the air at the Shiv.
    Actually more of a middle finger to Cervelo and the P4.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookiebiker View Post
    In 100 degree weather...I'd consider a water bottle...though, still not sure I'd go with it.

This year the 40k I did it was in the low 80's when I did it and near the end of it could feel the effects from starting to dehydrate...though, I didn't bring, nor drink enough leading up to the TT or during the warm up.

It really ends up being a personal choice in the end. I know a lot of people that use Tri aero bottles for longer TT's here. They are not UCI nor USAC legal, but for most races they won't care much if at all.

You can always get a small camel back and put it under your skinsuit...they are legal as long as they don't act as a fairing, and you would want it small to begin with.
    I may be a wimp, but I almost always bring a water bottle unless it's something like a prologue effort. Typically I'll TT in 90-100 degree weather, high humidity, and zilch for shade. Throw in TT pace, a less breathable skin suit, and a TT helmet with visor and I get really hot pretty quick. Maybe 50% of the time, the TT is part of an omnium or stage race, too.

On a flatter course, the weight penalty is minimal. With my bottle behind the saddle, I can drink with one arm still on the aero bar and still mostly in an aero tuck. Time loss due to drinking should theoretically be minimal.