RoadBikeReview Member

Tour De Frankenmuth, May 25th

Hey guys (and ladies),

I was wondering if there is anyone here who has ridden the Tour of Frankenmuth and if so do you have any insight into the race itself. Such as the terrain that can be expected and the competitive strength of the field. I am a Cat. 4 racer with a lot of road racing experience but I have never done this race and was just hoping to get some insight from some of you who might have been there before. I am also curious to know if there is anyone here who I might be racing with/against? Two weeks to go till race day. Here's hoping this ridiculously cold spring breaks before then.

Token Sprinter
    I'll be racing against you in Cat 4! This will be my first year racing it as well, so I can't really help you with your other questions.
    Amassing Miles - My Little Cycling Blog

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've raced it 2x, it's very flat with straight roads. Traveling through farmland, tends to yield quite a bit of wind. I'm small, so it's really too flat for me. I'll be skipping it this year.

The last turn (left) to the finish is a bit tight with speeds high preping for the sprint.It's a downhill finish, so the sprint speeds are quite high. Watch for the man hole covers in the last corner as they tend to be slick, especially if wet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Nothing will get away, bunch sprint at the end. Tight corner into the finish straight... if you aren't in the top 15 at that point, please don't sprint lol

Cat 4, registered.

Rained last year which made the cobbles across the road in the final corner a bit tricky (IMO), but everyone survived

New course this year, tighter turn into finish straight, but less downhill lead in from what I can tell. Last corner will be tricky, but talked to the race promoter, he thinks it'll help safety if everyone respects it... in his terms, past years, people thought they could cut the final corner (and everyone else) off, trying to get position
    Last edited by adam_mac84; 05-13-2013 at 06:29 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    So a flat course that will yield to high winds and a lot of open roads to mix things up. I am not so certain as you are Adam that nothing will get away. Anything is possible and a well organized attack can break away at any time. It is unlikely but not impossible.

Its good to see a few of the RBR folks will be attending. I am looking forward to this race. Its going to be long but should make for an interesting mix of tactics and weather conditions. I have a number of road races under my belt but nothing at this length so I am a little uncertain of my own ability to stay with it and still have enough to finish strong. Good luck to all of you and here's hoping that nobody is hurt and we all have a great time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by adam_mac84 View Post
    Nothing will get away, bunch sprint at the end. Tight corner into the finish straight... if you aren't in the top 15 at that point, please don't sprint

apparently they didnt read this thread....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adam_mac84 View Post
    apparently they didnt read this thread....
    Injuries? That kinda stuff is freaky.

Token Sprinter
    ^Most likely a few. At least one was taken away in an ambulance on a stretcher.

The crash happened a bit after the finish line and started amongst those who were likely in the top 10 so I don't really think that less people sprinting for the line would have allowed the crash to be avoided. Maybe the damage would have been a bit less, but any time someone at the front of a big field crashes its not going to be good.

That said, hopefully none of you guys got involved in that and if you did I hope you're ok. It happened more or less right in front of me. The first guy who went down hit the ground HARD and it was all down hill from there. I didn't see any of the mess that came after the first guy went down, but oh my did I hear it.
    Amassing Miles - My Little Cycling Blog

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    im in MI, and was looking at the prizes. i saw conflicting info. it says $1200/top 15.

is that split among top 15 riders? or each of top 15 get $1200? http://www.tourdefrankenmuth.com/wp-...yer-pdf-11.pdf

sorry. i havent done any races and am new to the system....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by RaptorTC View Post
    ^Most likely a few. At least one was taken away in an ambulance on a stretcher.

The crash happened a bit after the finish line and started amongst those who were likely in the top 10 so I don't really think that less people sprinting for the line would have allowed the crash to be avoided. Maybe the damage would have been a bit less, but any time someone at the front of a big field crashes its not going to be good.

That said, hopefully none of you guys got involved in that and if you did I hope you're ok. It happened more or less right in front of me. The first guy who went down hit the ground HARD and it was all down hill from there. I didn't see any of the mess that came after the first guy went down, but oh my did I hear it.
    The guy who went away had a concussion. Finished in the mid/high 20's (crash after finish). I got mixed up with people trying to dodge, and thankfully got thrown into the grass when i flipped it.

The total for the day that I had heard was 2 collar bones and a wrist, and the good concussion. 2 broken bikes that I know of/saw

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by c.rod View Post
    im in MI, and was looking at the prizes. i saw conflicting info. it says $1200/top 15.

is that split among top 15 riders? or each of top 15 get $1200? http://www.tourdefrankenmuth.com/wp-...yer-pdf-11.pdf

sorry. i havent done any races and am new to the system....
    It means they pay 1200 split 15 people deep. if it were $100 to 3, winner might get 60, second 25, third 15 or something

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    huh, i figured the top prizes might be a little better than $100 when the pro class cost $50 to race!!

i didnt see anything about it being a charity race. wheres all the money going?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010

cat 4 crash

RoadBikeReview Member
    Awesome, awesome race. A lot of fun with a very competitive Cat. 4 field. Unfortunately one of my teammates ended up crashing at the end. He was banged up a little and trashed his kit but his bike came out okay so overall it wasnt too bad. I was off to the left side of the crash and had a front row seat to the crash. Brutal stuff. Good racing though guys. Cant wait till next year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    We had 4 crashes in the CAT 5 race. A bunch of stupid crossed wheels etc. I managed to avoid most of the drama and took 1st at the line, I caught a few good drafts coming down the finishing hill. I hope to see you guys in the CAT 4 race next year.

Chuck