Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009

Train with power meter = race with power meter?

We all know the value of the data we get from our training rides with a power meter, how many of you who train with a power meter also race with it? Do you have two sets of wheels each with a power meter?

We see the pros race with SRM cranks but what about racing with a Cycleops Power Meter, is the weight offset by the data you get back?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Train and Race with PowerTap. Have training wheels and racing wheels both have a PT Hub.

Impulse Athletic Coaching
    Weight is minimum, especially since it's centered around the hub.

Race with a PM to find your true weaknesses. Train with a PM to fix them. Hand-in-hand relationship.

If you can afford to buy tubulars with a PM, you can probably splurge for a 2nd set of clinchers for training. Or, do what most people do and just buy nice clinchers with a PT and use it for both.

Lexicon Devil
    I train and race on my 24H PT SL laced to a DT Swiss RR585. Deep sectionish, sturdy, etc.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005

Not necessary every race

I can only afford one power tap. So, I will race with my rear training wheel a couple of times a year: in an early season crit, and a mid season road race that I have no hope of doing well. This allows my coach to see the numbers and create/adjust my training around them. I couldn't care less about my power in a race. I am going to give it everything I have on a given day anyway, so I go for the race wheels over power meter, hands down.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I raced and trained with my powertap for a year and it was incredible. But I recently picked up a Quarq so that I could use some deep section wheels without having to buy another PT. (I'm selling my Powertap if anyones interested)

Power data is just too valuable for me when racing. I only look at my Heart rate when I'm racing, but the post-race analysis of the power data I find is incredible.

Anti-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by silver7
    ...I am going to give it everything I have on a given day anyway, so I go for the race wheels over power meter, hands down.
    So, don't you want to know what your power numbers are when you're giving it everything you have?
    Last edited by Andrea138; 09-29-2010 at 03:29 AM.
    No turkey unless it's a club sandwich
    Brickhouse Blog

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2005
    I read a quote about this the other day;

Amateur cyclists using power meters is like employing an accountant to tell you how poor you are...

corning my own beef
    Quote Originally Posted by olr1

Amateur cyclists using power meters is like employing an accountant to tell you how poor you are...
    the forum is fortunate to have you here to offer your insightful commentary.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People who say, "Laughter is the best medicine.." have never been on the receiving end of a morphine drip..

ноожеяз ай вщоw?
    -VaughnA

A fool and his money were damned lucky to have bumped into each other in the first place.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JustTooBig
    Agreed. While I have no intention of using a PM during a RR or crit, I plan on using one in the TT setting. No, it's not about dropping big numbers, but pacing myself better and watching for the hopeful improvement.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008

I just don't get this. If amateur's are not supposed to use what the pro's use - then we shouldn't be using nice carbon bikes, expensive wheels, gear and clothing....

Powermeters are hands-down the most effective way of quantifying / qualifying the work you do on a bike. It allows so much more efficient use of your time. This way I can get so much more done on solo / interval rides - and stay a little more focused / dialed on group rides as well.

If we're not supposed to achieve the greatest understanding of our physiological capacities and limitations possible - then why should we invest in bikes, gear and etc... that do nothing of the sort?

The PM such an effective tool - I really wish more people understood this.

Note this is NOT an attack. I respect your position I just wanted to offer insight into why some people purchase them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    I'm not a data guy but I don't 'get' the value of using one in a race. For example if I were to compare power numbers of a race I managed to be smart in to one where I got gapped or fell off the back the power meter would show the opposite of how I raced. My goal in a race is not to do the most work I can.

but thinking about it
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank Stamper
    I'm not a data guy but I don't 'get' the value of using one in a race. For example if I were to compare power numbers of a race I managed to be smart in to one where I got gapped or fell off the back the power meter would show the opposite of how I raced. My goal in a race is not to do the most work I can.
    For me, it's been useful for identifying and quantifying limiters. E.g., exactly what was happening when you got gapped and what significant events led up to it?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    ah, that makes sense, undecided.

but thinking about it
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JustTooBig
    Yes, it's a reminder of the core purpose of internet forums.

RoadBikeReview Member
    A millionaire can have a shi**y account. He's got enough money that he can afford imperfections in his budget.
    A poor man needs to squeeze ever penny out of every dollar to survive. He needs the good accountant.

Contador has all the time and resources he needs to train day after day. Its his job so his entire life is built around it. Most of us would love that schedule. If I can find 10 hours to ride in a week I'm thrilled and I believe many amateurs are in the same boat as me. With family, work and other commitments its crucial we get every possible watt we can out of our very limited training time. I'm anal about collecting and analyzing data for this very reason.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have one wheelset right now...It's a basic wheelset with open pro rims, 28 spokes (14/15) front and 32 rear with a Dura Ace front hub and a Powertap Pro+ rear hub. I use them to both train and race on and have put a little over 13,000 miles on this wheelset over the past two seasons.

The information you get from races is pretty important in the grand scheme of a training program. You will generally find out that races tend to be easier than your regular group training rides...other than the surges that take place and maybe the final sprint if it ends in a sprint finish. However, the information will show you why you were dropped (or were able to stay on) and where your weaknesses are in a race instead of training rides...and how much you need to improve in those areas to become competitive.

I would love to get a second set of deep dish, tubular, carbon wheels with a Powertap rear wheel for racing...but I don't have the extra 2k sitting around to spend on them (I can get a team deal on a set if I can ever get the 2k). However, my current wheelset does great for all intents and purposes from road races to crits...I however don't use one in TT's since I run a rear disc and don't have 3.5k sitting around to purchase a powertap rear wheel or an SRM/Quark crank.
    Bikes:
    • 2013 Scott Foil 40
    • 2013 Jamis Nova Race (winter training bike)
    • 2012 Argon 18 E-118

RoadBikeReview Member
    competitivecyclist.com has some of the Quark cranks for about 2k or less.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spade2you
    competitivecyclist.com has some of the Quark cranks for about 2k or less.
    Gotta have 2k laying around though

Then you have to spend another 1k - 2k for some deep dish wheels on the road bike...though I own my TT wheels. So then it would be which would be better, a crank for my TT bike or power tap race wheels for my road bike?
    Bikes:
    • 2013 Scott Foil 40
    • 2012 Argon 18 E-118

but thinking about it
    Apr 2007

Amateur cyclists using power meters is like people earning in the bottom 99.9% of incomes using a financial planner. You know, it's probably a good call for some of them, might seem premature for others, but ultimately up to each person to understand why they might want to, what the costs are, and then decide.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookiebiker
    Gotta have 2k laying around though

Then you have to spend another 1k - 2k for some deep dish wheels on the road bike...though I own my TT wheels. So then it would be which would be better, a crank for my TT bike or power tap race wheels for my road bike?
    Gotcha. When you mentioned $3.5k, I wasn't sure where the pricing was coming from.

Depending on your gearing, the same crank could theoretically be used on two bikes. I was also hoping to get a generic power tap wheel for general training and a power crank for my TT bike.

Given some new home repair bills, probably just getting the crank for my TT bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2005
    I was only passing on a quote I heard, no need to thank me!

(I don't get the whole powermeter thing, but that's a whole different argument)

As you were gentlemen..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spade2you
    Depending on your gearing, the same crank could theoretically be used on two bikes. I was also hoping to get a generic power tap wheel for general training and a power crank for my TT bike.

Given some new home repair bills, probably just getting the crank for my TT bike.
    One of my teammates has an SRM crank that he switches between his TT and Road bikes. Basically, he has the same BB installed on both of them and all he needs to do is remove the non-drive side crank arm to switch it from bike to bike.

Works fairly well for his purposes, and if I could afford one (or a Quark for that matter) I'd do the same thing
    Bikes:
    • 2013 Scott Foil 40
    • 2012 Argon 18 E-118

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't get the whole powermeter thing
    I don't think anyone here doubted that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookiebiker
    One of my teammates has an SRM crank that he switches between his TT and Road bikes. Basically, he has the same BB installed on both of them and all he needs to do is remove the non-drive side crank arm to switch it from bike to bike.

Works fairly well for his purposes, and if I could afford one (or a Quark for that matter) I'd do the same thing
    Quark would be nice if they made a Campy version, although something about having to send in the SRM for batteries and calibration does not sit well with me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast