RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010

Trainer - Cyclops Fluid 2 vs JetFluid vs KK

I had an issue with my clamp on my Travel Trac Fluid Trainer and performance says send her back.

So! With that in mind, I've decided to upgrade from the Travel Trac to Cyclops or Kinetic.

Opinions / Comments ->

Cyclops Fluid 2 or Cyclops JetFluid Pro or Kinetic Fluid?

Slightly Opinionated
    Kinetic is the best trainer I've used. Love the resistance unit and the clamping mechanism.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Trolling the lounge is like noodling for piranha.

The Daily Grind Cycling Journal & Tailwind Coaching

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    I have friends who are very happy with CyclOps, but I can't imagine a better designed and built unit than the Kinetic. It's that good.

So. Calif.
    I've only used the Kinetic Road Machine.
    I'm 100% satisfied. It is well designed & constructed, and has a very nice, smooth resistance.

It also appealed to me that the Kinetic is inherently leak-proof by design : the coupling to the fluid impeller is magnetic (but it's not magnetic resistance based), and so there are no shaft rotating seals to ever leak.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    I am leaning towards the KK... My hope is that Performance will cut me a deal on it...

Does the KK (or Cyclops) rock? I was always screwing around with my Travel Trac to get it stable.

So. Calif.
    I've experienced no "rocking" on my Kinetic Road Machine.

PS: plan on spending another $15-20 for a front wheel support stand. Although any brand will do, the Kinetic stand is a compact, hollow cylinder (with 3 different selectable heights of "notches"), and it's easy to store.

Trying to return....
    Jun 2005
    I have both a cyclops fluid 2 and a KK rock n roll with road mc resistance unit. The KK beats the cyclops hands down.

Urb
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I have the road machine and love it.
    You get all the sleep you need when you are dead

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    kk is pretty epic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    I have the cyclops flluid2. Its not bad by any means but I could see room for improvement. No one in my area carried KK and I would rather buy stuff in the store than online.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dust3313
    I have the cyclops flluid2. Its not bad by any means but I could see room for improvement. No one in my area carried KK and I would rather buy stuff in the store than online.
    Agreed! At the time I was looking I didn't know how much I was going to use a trainer. The local shop sold Cyclops Fluid2 and 'at the time' I couldn't justify spending that sort of cash on something I was not going to use. The travel trac wasn't bad, it just had it's issues... but it was $130 bucks to my door!

I'm very much leaning on the KK.. I hope PB can scratch this kid together a deal! The GYM bikes SUCK! HOWEVER the scenery is great ;)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Years ago I had a traveltrac as well, but it was the top of the line at the time for that brand, it was $380.

I now have a KK road machine and it's a lot more stable and the resistance is calibrated pretty close to the speed I'd be doing outside.

The only thing I don't like about the KK is the fact that they switched to a plastic yolk(what were they thinking). I would have prefered a larger tension knob made of metal and covered with plastic. Other than that it does come with a lifetime warrenty for parts, so if something wears out I can get it replaced.

I'd also like to recommend the KK rock and roller riser block. Even with a stationary trainer the ability to turn the handlebars a little makes for a more comfy ride. I recently picked up one on ebay for $26 with shipping.

flinty-eyed moderator
    Went from a older Cyclops to a KK and really like it.

Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Sculpture on 2 wheels
    I have the cyclops the bike goes in and out fast and it's not loud
    I like it just fine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Ended up with the Kinetic Road Machine. Feels much better than my Travel Trac, however it doesn't provide as much resistance..however! there is still plenty of resistance for my winter training...

Thanks for all the feedback folks.

So. Calif.
    Quote Originally Posted by glacebay
    Ended up with the Kinetic Road Machine. Feels much better than my Travel Trac, however it doesn't provide as much resistance..however! there is still plenty of resistance for my winter training....
    You can always shift 1-2 gears "harder" and try keeping same cadence ;-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    KK road machine. Solid, quiet, great resistance and lifetime warranty. I was happy with my Cycleops Fluid2 (5 years, just started to leak), but am ecstatic with my new KK.

RoadBikeReview Member
    1-Up needs to be part of everyone's consideration. I have been very happy with mine for five years. I have not tried a KK or CycleOps so I can not offer a comparison, but it offers plenty of resistance is smooth and quiet. Also, I really like the adjustable height (no need for a front wheel riser).

(I have nothing to do with the company, just a very satisfied client.)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    just got my KK road machine still waiting for the 12lb. flywheel,I have the Cycleop2 also,side by side both are stable and feel the same ,the KK front to back is slightly longer with slightly beefier arms,the C2 unhooks much quicker ,the smoothness depends on how tight u make the connection,the KK has 4 holes for diff. tire sizes ,all in all ,both are well made ,lol I like the green color

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009

Kk

KK without any hesitation. It's not cheap, but it will be the last one you have to buy. I only put 396 miles on mine last year, but it still works just like day one.

The resistance is very fluid and consistant. The only thing I here when using it is my drivetrain.

Easy to install and remove bike.

Extra flywheel is nice for the longer intervals; helps maintain a constant speed more precisely.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    I would highly recommend the KK. I have a 4 year old Road Machine and a Cycleops Fluid. I had to ride the Cycleops till the replacement parts came. It reinforced my opinion of the KK. The plastic knobs on the side got stripped. Sent a email to KK and then sent me replacement knobs and the threaded spindle.

Great customer service.

ScubaD

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nasu: Summer in Andalusia 茄子 アンダルシアの夏
    A Japanese bicycle anime movie.

And it's sequel about the world cup in Japan
    Nasu: A Migratory Bird with Suitcase 茄子 スーツケースの渡り鳥

Really nice animation and entertaining bicycle races.
    Last edited by Michael S.; 01-22-2011 at 11:32 PM. Reason: some how ended up on the wrong thread when trying to reply.