Thread: Uphill TTs

RoadBikeReview Member

Uphill TTs

I did an adventure race/team tri (2 person team, runner, both canoe, then biker) that was basically an uphill TT from my perspective. Technique/training totally aside, when do you draw the line between a road bike and a TT bike? Generally, a TT bike is heavier, but mine is significantly lighter. Next year I plan on something extremely light for my roadie.

RoadBikeReview Member
    For me, if it's an uphill TT...anything that averages 3% or above I'll use my road bike. However, I will still use my disc wheel and deep dish front wheel since there isn't much weight difference from my regular wheels.

The TT bike just doesn't climb as well as a road bike, regardless of weight as the position is much different, as well as the bike geometry.
    Bikes:
    • 2013 Scott Foil 40
    • 2013 Jamis Nova Race (winter training bike)
    • 2012 Argon 18 E-118

Cycling Coach
    When the gradient is such that being effective in an aero position is not possible. That varies for different riders.
    Aero still trumps weight though, even on hard gradients.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for the input. I won't be traveling next year, so I'll know my routes well, but I might need to take guesses in upcoming years. I haven't done the route yet, but sometimes there is a little more of a true uphill TT. I didn't look at it too much since they weren't using it this year. My local geography won't have too many climbs that don't flatten out or have a few descents along the way. LOTS of rolling hills!

Between the new and much lighter roadie, a solid disc wheel, etc, I'll probably have the luxury to test out the course a few times and simply see what gets me the best overall times.

What Would Google Do.
    Unless you can get close to 15mph on the climb with the TT bike stick with the road bike.
    (which for all of US here means a roadbike )
    you cant say 3rd without turd.

___
    if every man in the world actually played hide the weenie with every woman he ever fantasized over both herpes and stupid would be more of an epidemic than they already are.

- Spanky_ 888007
    __

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muscleendurance
    Unless you can get close to 15mph on the climb with the TT bike stick with the road bike.
    (which for all of US here means a roadbike )
    Sounds like a plan. With climbing and time trialing a general strong suit of mine, I'm very eager to try a real uphill TT, if there's one around me next year. I'm hoping the roadie I'm building should make it easier to make an easier decision.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spade2you
    Sounds like a plan. With climbing and time trialing a general strong suit of mine, I'm very eager to try a real uphill TT, if there's one around me next year. I'm hoping the roadie I'm building should make it easier to make an easier decision.
    Don't forget you can get a set of clip-on's for your road bike which will get you in a position similar to your TT bike for the shallower sections. This way you get the light weight and position of your road bike, with the ability to get aero as on your TT bike.

Some thing like these work great for races like this: Vision Tech Mini Clip on Bars
    Bikes:
    • 2013 Scott Foil 40
    • 2012 Argon 18 E-118

What Would Google Do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookiebiker
    Don't forget you can get a set of clip-on's for your road bike which will get you in a position similar to your TT bike for the shallower sections.
    ]
    or you could just 'lie' your elbows on the tops and use 'imaginary bars'!
    the 'bonus' position of bars
    you cant say 3rd without turd.

___
    if every man in the world actually played hide the weenie with every woman he ever fantasized over both herpes and stupid would be more of an epidemic than they already are.

- Spanky_ 888007
    __

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muscleendurance
    or you could just 'lie' your elbows on the tops and use 'imaginary bars'!
    the 'bonus' position of bars
    Yea, I do that a lot (it's always an option), but it's not nearly as comfortable as a set of Aero Bars. If a rider has flat top bars it would be more comfortable than round bars though.
    Bikes:
    • 2013 Scott Foil 40
    • 2012 Argon 18 E-118

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'll definitely look at a decent set of clip-ons. My current roadbike has the FSA wing bars, which didn't have an adapter until after I bought my TT bike. I'm not sure if it's my geometry or the C2C's geometry, but a simulated aero position doesn't feel natural on that bike, which was another reason I got the TT bike.

The new bike will most likely be the new 928SL and I'm planning on searching high and low for a nice set of aero bars that will work well, especially if I ever decide to travel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by spade2you
    The new bike will most likely be the new 928SL
    nice...jealous

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by repartocorse40
    nice...jealous
    Not gonna lie, I'm very stoked and will be picking up a lot of extra shifts this winter, but it should be worth it. I already have a decent wheel set, so I'll just be buying the frame and components. Not going to be cheap, but the fully built bike w/Super Record and Fulcrum wheels made my eyes bug out!