Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Vee
    RoadBikeReview Member

USA Cycling Cat 5 to Cat 4

I have read that to go from Cat 5 to Cat 4, a person must participate in 10 races. This year will be my first year racing. I have purchased an annual USA Cycling license and am set to debut in at an event coming up in mid February. The event is a multi day event with a Criterium and a TT. My question is, if I race both the Criterium and TT, will I be given credit for racing TWO races? Or will this only count for one on my license?

RoadBikeReview Member
    10 mass starts. TTs are not mass starts.

Vee
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spade2you
    10 mass starts. TTs are not mass starts.
    Alright then. Thanks!

I ride in circles..
    Not to totally hijack.. but along the same lines..
    I bought my Cat5 license this year as well... My season officially starts at Battenkill.

I have raced in 4 other races prior that were legit one day races. 2 on 1 day.. then 2 others.

Will those 4 races count for me or only the ones from here on out since I've only just picked up my license.
    ~ Long Live Long Rides~

Vee
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoSoSwiM
    I bought my Cat5 license this year as well... My season officially starts at Battenkill.

I have raced in 4 other races prior that were legit one day races. 2 on 1 day.. then 2 others.

Will those 4 races count for me or only the ones from here on out since I've only just picked up my license.
    I am curious about this one, as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Most will only count the races on your license, but you could probably let your local upgrade coordinator know that you did some races prior to the ones on your license and they might allow you to upgrade slightly early. Some are strict and some aren't.

I ride in circles..
    Well when you pull up my name on bike reg you see 3 of them and the results are on the USA cycling site. Guess I'll just cross my fingers when the time comes.
    ~ Long Live Long Rides~

Slightly Opinionated

My question is how the eff did you manage to get registered for that? Everything was completely full by the time I tried to register, a day after it opened.

You going to do the preview ride in late March?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Trolling the lounge is like noodling for piranha.

The Daily Grind Cycling Journal & Tailwind Coaching

I ride in circles..
    I signed up the evening it opened. I managed to get into the first cat 5 field. The 2 other fields filled by the next day. I'm not doing the preview ride but my friend is.. I plan on checking out the file from his Garmin at least. It's a 4.5 or so hour drive for me.
    ~ Long Live Long Rides~

Slightly Opinionated
    I signed up the evening it opened. I managed to get into the first cat 5 field. The 2 other fields filled by the next day. I'm not doing the preview ride but my friend is.. I plan on checking out the file from his Garmin at least. It's a 4.5 or so hour drive for me.
    Yeowch. That's a bit of a drive.

Lucky to have gotten in. I got my name on the wait list, so maybe I'll get a little bit lucky as the date draws near.

You staying in a hotel up there or heading up the morning of?
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."

I ride in circles..
    At this point I've been offered a spot on a floor. So driving out the day before.. Camping in a strangers living room.. beating myself up with the cat 5 field.. then a long drive home.

Hopefully someone on the waiting list gives it up for ya!
    ~ Long Live Long Rides~

but thinking about it
    Apr 2007

As long as you can document them and they were sanctioned, they should be included in "[e]xperience in 10 mass start races."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by robdamanii
    My question is how the eff did you manage to get registered for that? Everything was completely full by the time I tried to register, a day after it opened.

You going to do the preview ride in late March?
    Get on the waitlist. Deiter loves to open new fields once one is full. After enough people are on a waitlist, he'll open a new field for them.

Slightly Opinionated
    Quote Originally Posted by kbiker3111
    Get on the waitlist. Deiter loves to open new fields once one is full. After enough people are on a waitlist, he'll open a new field for them.
    Sweet. Jumping on the wait list as soon as I saw the fields were full may yet work out.

Any clue how soon one hears if there is a spot open?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Well when you pull up my name on bike reg you see 3 of them and the results are on the USA cycling site. Guess I'll just cross my fingers when the time comes.
    Get the results from USA Cycling or the actual event site, include them in your resume' when you apply for the upgrade, they'll count. It was a mass start race, and if you can prove you were in it, then you can use it towards upgrade. There's nothing in the rules that says one day licenses don't count.

For that matter, if you did really well in them, apply now if you want. A teammate of mine upgraded to Cat 4 after 3 races. The most any of us did was 7 before applying and being awarded an upgrade.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by robdamanii
    Sweet. Jumping on the wait list as soon as I saw the fields were full may yet work out.

Any clue how soon one hears if there is a spot open?
    Not sure. It depends on the field, but its usually a couple weeks and you should definitely know a few weeks out so you can make accommodations. Are you a cat5? He may handle cat 5 differently b/c the field limit is 50, not 125. The best thing to do is ask. They're pretty good about responding to emails.

TWD
    Quote Originally Posted by EMB145 Driver
    Get the results from USA Cycling or the actual event site, include them in your resume' when you apply for the upgrade, they'll count. It was a mass start race, and if you can prove you were in it, then you can use it towards upgrade. There's nothing in the rules that says one day licenses don't count.

For that matter, if you did really well in them, apply now if you want. A teammate of mine upgraded to Cat 4 after 3 races. The most any of us did was 7 before applying and being awarded an upgrade.
    Wow, no way that would happen in Washington. You need 10 mass starts and they all must be USA Cycling events (no weeknight championship races). If he won his three races I could see making it on points

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis
    Wow, no way that would happen in Washington. You need 10 mass starts and they all must be USA Cycling events (no weeknight championship races). If he won his three races I could see making it on points
    His worst finish all year, any category, was 10th. He was/is the exception. He went from never racing to 3 by the end of the 2010 race season.

I ride in circles..
    My first 2 races were nothing to brag about.. Got shelled but what could I expect.
    My 3rd race I did much better and finished mid pack with the lead group.. 4th race I took second after dragging a wheel sucker off the final corner. It was a small weekly crit though so who knows if it'll count.

Had I justed a tinch sooner that guy would have never caught my wheel.
    ~ Long Live Long Rides~

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    My first 2 races were nothing to brag about.. Got shelled but what could I expect.
    My 3rd race I did much better and finished mid pack with the lead group.. 4th race I took second after dragging a wheel sucker off the final corner. It was a small weekly crit though so who knows if it'll count.

Had I justed a tinch sooner that guy would have never caught my wheel.
    Any mass start race that you have to have a license to enter, one day or annual, counts. Minimum race time for a Cat 5 crit is 20minutes to meet USA Cycling minimums. That doesn't mean you have to race 20 minutes, you can roll off the line, DNF, and it will count.

I ride in circles..
    Well all 4 of those count then. I had to pay for a one day for each.
    ~ Long Live Long Rides~

but thinking about it
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by EMB145 Driver
    His worst finish all year, any category, was 10th. He was/is the exception. He went from never racing to 3 by the end of the 2010 race season.
    If the district upgrade coordinator takes the view that the ten mass starts are about experience, not results, then it just doesn't matter how you do. (Humbly, I submit that (in almost every case), that's the right way to look at it. If you're talking about someone who goes off the front at the start of every race and just rides away, such that s/he's not getting any "mass" experience, then I guess that's a different story, but even then, I'd probably only feel that way if s/he's done it across the spectrum of types of races.)

I ride in circles..
    Just because your legs have the power doesn't mean your skills do.. Blowing the doors off a field is very different than riding in a pack.
    ~ Long Live Long Rides~

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    anymore information on this-

I raced last week (first ever) and easily rode away from the other 4/5s (one 4 did the same to me as well so I got 2nd in my mass start). I actually caught and passed the 1/2/3s from a 5 minute deficit after 24 miles (there were only a handful in that race and they were all still riding together at that point and still had 24 miles to go while I only had 8. I stayed well ahead of them until my finish line.)

I have a decent amount of group ride experience, cyclocross experience and unsanctioned gravel road racing experience (as well as a cat1 mountain license).

I would really like the opportunity to upgrade mostly so that I can be in longer races as soon as possible. Racing just 25-40 miles seems awful short, my mountain bike races are just as long!

How soon would it be appropriate to ask for an upgrade? Can I do it after just 2 or 3 races if they continue as my 1st experience?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Someone from NYSBRA put together a short video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ9BjIeFt9w

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast