RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004

Wendy's International Cycling Classic June 25-27

Does anyone have more detailed course descriptions than are offered by the maps at http://www.wendyscycling.com/courses.html?

A few of my teammates and I are considering heading down to this race but would like to get a better handle on the courses.

Calorie Counter
    Which courses are you interested in?

Quote Originally Posted by rztk65
    Does anyone have more detailed course descriptions than are offered by the maps at http://www.wendyscycling.com/courses.html?

A few of my teammates and I are considering heading down to this race but would like to get a better handle on the courses.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    We are a Cat 3 team, so we would be looking for information on the Grove City course for the 26th and the Grandview course on the 27th. Thanks for the response and look forward to hearing back.

Cannot bench own weight
    I live here in Columbus, and all I can really tell you is that the Grandview course is pretty close to downtown, so it's quite urban. I wouldn't be surprised if the roads were a bit rough.

Grove City is on the southside and is just your typical suburb. Streets are probably nicer in Grove City.

I took the liberty of looking at a map, and it looks like the Grandview course is about 1 mile long. Goodale has fairly high traffic on it, so i'll wager that's the worst road of them all.

Calorie Counter
    I plotted out both courses and Grove City is dead flat. I'm not sure where the start/finish is since they don't have it marked out on the map.

As for Grandview, I did this race last year and it's flat with one descent and then a gradual climb to the finish. I'm racing up in NY on Saturday, but hope to do the Grandview race on Sunday.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004

Thanks Thorman

This is exactly what I was looking for. Your efforts are very much appreciated!

Good luck in NY and maybe I'll see you on Sunday. We're riding for Team Bikesport out of Ann Arbor/Detroit Michigan. What race would you be doing?

Cannot bench own weight
    Thorman, what program did you use to get the elevation data? That's pretty sweet.

chica cyclista
    Feb 2004

not Thorman, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Einstruzende
    Thorman, what program did you use to get the elevation data? That's pretty sweet.
    That looks to be a DeLorme product, either Topo or Streets USA. The DeLorme guys have a thread posted over on General right now offering a 40% discount on Topo to the RBR'ers. Have considered getting this software for awhile, this may be my incentive.
    Grandpa LFR: "Kid, don't wrestle with pigs; you'll just get covered in crap, and the pig enjoys it."

/Grandpa LFR

chica cyclista
    Feb 2004

Rz,

Quote Originally Posted by rztk65
    This is exactly what I was looking for. Your efforts are very much appreciated!

Good luck in NY and maybe I'll see you on Sunday. We're riding for Team Bikesport out of Ann Arbor/Detroit Michigan. What race would you be doing?
    I THOUGHT Grandview was the one I recalled. J. Baumeister has done a couple different incarnations of Wendy's over the years and I wanted to be certain I wasn't mistaken.

Don't kid yourself, I've done that course and it is deceptively tough, especially if you're racing it in a strong, motivated field. The downhill corner is FAST, caused a number of crashes on times I was present, and the climb to the finish may not be a mountain, but it is a leg-sapper. Many primes = many counterattacks, and well-timed counters after everyone's gassed from sprinting up the climb will blow the field to bits.
    Grandpa LFR: "Kid, don't wrestle with pigs; you'll just get covered in crap, and the pig enjoys it."

/Grandpa LFR

Cannot bench own weight
    Quote Originally Posted by lonefrontranger
    That looks to be a DeLorme product, either Topo or Streets USA. The DeLorme guys have a thread posted over on General right now offering a 40% discount on Topo to the RBR'ers. Have considered getting this software for awhile, this may be my incentive.
    Thanks for the info. They may have just gained a customer.

Calorie Counter
    The software I use is Topo USA version 4. It's pretty easy to setup routes and generate cue sheets.

I'll be racing the 3/4 field with one other teammate. I ride for Stark Velo.

I agree that this course (Grandview) is tougher than it looks. I only made it about 5 miles last year before getting dropped. I'm hoping to at least finish with the field this year.