RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004

wet/rain conditions - impact on performance?

hello everyone

assuming the wind conditions are the same (strength and direction)what is the negative impact of riding the same roads in the rain (or just after the rain when road is completely wet)? In percentage terms how much slower would it be? I think wet road/rain has impact on rolling resistance. Anyone quantified it?

thanks!

Obviously not doping
    no experience, but my guess would be less rolling resistance, but more caution... so slower.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Wet = faster

Quote Originally Posted by acid_rider
    assuming the wind conditions are the same (strength and direction)what is the negative impact of riding the same roads in the rain (or just after the rain when road is completely wet)? In percentage terms how much slower would it be? I think wet road/rain has impact on rolling resistance. Anyone quantified it?
    I haven't seen the quantification, but wet tires mean less grip of the rubber when contacting the road. Straight line with no standing water to plow through, wet is faster. A VERY small effect. Obviously you will be slower around the corners in the wet.

Roadbike Rider

It's slower in the rain

Your tires are kicking up rooster tails of water. This wastes energy. Especially your front tire as it throws the water into your down tube creating resitance to forward motion. Also when your shoes get wet the insoles get mushy. You lose some efficiency. Then of course you are hitting the rain drops. This will increase resistance and slow you down.

Depending on the rider your aerodynamics changes. I sit up higher as I need all the visibility I can get.

It feels like you lose muscle efficiency Perhaps the blood flow will distribute more too your skin to compensate for the cooling effect of the rain.

Finally, there is no drafting unless you like the taste of rooster tail.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004

thanks, divided opinions

thanks all. I typically ride a relatively straight road and I always find I am slower when the road is wet (raining or not). It is hard to compare other things, perhaps "wet is slower" is all in my head.