RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002

What aero bikes are you rockin' for TT/Tri?

Hey guys,
    What's your TT/Tri bike of choice and why? How's the handling and comfort? I've decided I'm upgrading and am looking for a good aero bike but don't want to sacrifice comfort and handling (bike will be used for shorter TT's but also longer half-iron distance events).

I've been riding a 4 year old Felt S22 (carbon stays and full DA) and I've been very happy with it and I'm thinking of the Cannondale Slice (seems to be a good mix between aero and comfort, plus I get a decent deal with my team). There's so many "fast looking" bikes out there! Any experience with the Specialized Transition, Fuji D6, Felt DA or B2, or Quintana Roo cd0.1?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    I have a Transition and I'm a big fan. I'm not sure if its the most aero frame, but Specialized has done a good job with integration (water bottle, brake hanger, etc) to keep things aero.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'handling'. Bikes handle differently across their size range and how you set them up. So my XL Transition set up at ~75 deg may handle differently than your small set up at 78. Does your Felt fit well? Look at the geometry (stack and reach) for it and find one that fits similar or better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    OF the ones you mention, the Felt is the best - most aero, refined design. The Fuji D6 is not great - integrated seatpost, mediocre aero. Now that Kestrel and Fuji are under same ownership, support is going to the kestrel 4000 (and is being ridden by footon). The cd0.1 is well designed and rides well - but it is not UCI legal (doesn't matter for tri but would matter if you wanted to do something like national tt events). I verified this with QR. The transition's UCI status is also questionable. The Kestrel 4000 is worth a look - you can find it for significantly less than the Felt. Also look at the stack and reach database on slowtwitch, since there is a lot of design variation among these frames. Felt is long and low.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/...ooton-servetto

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    I used a Ridley Noah for a while for both wheel to wheel races and as my TT bike. They have the head of the integrated seat post reversable. I got a second 'seat head' and left a second saddle mounted in that...You simply loosen the binder bolt and pull off the seat head (for want of a better term)...or you can use just one and reverse it for a forward TT position.

This was a great frame, worked very well as a TT bike with the proper front controls and also was an excellent RR and crit frame...Good in sprints, good on descents..

Sold it when we got Colnago CX-1s. Wish I could have afforded to keep it for my TT bike, but I don't do that many TTs and it was gathering dust while losing value hanging around un-ridden. Ridley's are a good value, in my experience.

orlin03
    I'm currently TTing on a Leaderbike 735TT frame (cheap but aero aluminum). Position works for me, but the ride isn't all that comfortable on my aluminum training clinchers, even with carbon Profile extensions, EC90TT fork, and EC90 seatpost. However, swapping out for my raceday EC90TT tubular wheels (the older 56mm versions) makes a night and day difference, and the ride is quite nice, at least up to 60 miles or so- it's easy to forget I'm riding aluminum. What I'm getting at is with the right setup and comfortable wheels, almost anything can be comfortable; get one that fits you well.
    I am looking to upgrade, though, and am leaning heavily towards the Felt B2.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2009
    I'm currently on a Giant Trinity Alliance. I picked it because, um, I got a really good price on Craigslist on it

The comfort and handling is fine. It's not as smooth as my road bike, but that's somewhat expected (Ti w/ 25c tires vs Alu/Carbon with 23c). Stock wheels weigh a ton, but not too concerned about them right now.

No Crybabies

P2c

I have a Cervelo P2C. Pretty good bang for the buck.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

When my fist clenches, crack it open
    Before I use it and lose my cool
    When I smile, tell me some bad news
    Before I laugh and act like a fool

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Also look at the stack and reach database on slowtwitch, since there is a lot of design variation among these frames
    Just wanted to reiterate this comment. Slowtwitch is an amazing resource for TT/Tri bike info. The Slice tends toward tall/narrow, which means it best fits long-legged/short-torsoed riders.

Asad

RoadBikeReview Member
    Last year when I could not get ahold of a Giant Trinity Advanced SL frameset, I opted to replace my 07 TCR TT Composite with a Dengfu FM018 frameset for significant savings over the somewhat unobtanium Trinity Advanced.
    Michael - There may not be an 'I' in team but there is a 'U' in suck!
    __0
    _ \ |_
    (O)/ (O)

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a Cervelo P3 and it rides great. Very smooth and quiet compared to my old Leader TT frame. Oh, and it's very lightweight, which is a nice bonus.