RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013

Whey Protein Contains Metal

My cousin asked me to stop drinking. I feel this is not that dangerous to the level that it will do more harm than good. What do you think?

Fat and slow but trying
    Proof? Details?

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    It's got iron in it. You may want to stay away from magnets.

Calories in EAS - 100% Whey Protein Powder, Fundation Fuels | Nutrition and Health Facts
    Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 1serving (100 g)
    Per Serving % Daily Value*
    Calories120
    Calories from Fat 18
    Total Fat 2.0g 3%
    Saturated Fat 1.0g 5%
    Cholesterol 65mg 22%
    Sodium 55mg 2%
    Carbohydrates 3.0g 1%
    Dietary Fiber 1.0g 4%
    Sugars 1.0g
    Protein 23.0g

Calcium 1% Iron 33%
    Iron, Fe 1 mg

wots...uh the deal?
    Looks like Consumer Reports did some investigating in 2010.

Report: Protein Drinks Have Unhealthy Metals

So if you are in a high risk category and consuming large amounts (3x a day), there could be some worry for contamination levels of lead, arsenic, mercury and cadmium...if you consume some brands.

(Otherwise, if you consume anything with Iron or Magnesium, you have metal in your drink/food...not a big deal. But heavy metals at certain concentrations are concerning)
    martymoose

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mmoose View Post
    So if you are in a high risk category and consuming large amounts (3x a day), there could be some worry for contamination levels of lead, arsenic, mercury and cadmium...if you consume some brands.
    I wonder if those brands are made in China.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    probably referring to stuff like Muscle Milk with their concerns of heavy metal contamination.
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

Road & Trail Warrior
    Slayeeeeeeerrrrrrrrr!!!
    "What is this? A center for ants?"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    I wonder if those brands are made in China.
    I don't think any whey food products are imports. Mostly... foreign nations export value added products. Whey is a waste food product.

Originally milk fats (aka milk solids) are separated from whole milk and made into butter, cheese, yogurt and so forth.

The lower quality "milk serum" is the whey that is dried and sold as a protein mix product. It is also (as in MOSTLY) used as a cheap food additive when making feed products (chicken feed, and pet food).

I don't know why anyone would consume that stuff. It would be like going to the slaughter house and buying pig snouts, chicken feet, and beef marrow. All are completely eatable and inexpensive food products. But they are of lower quality as far as protein content... and taste. And IMHO are best used as animal feed additives. They are by no means a "health food".

Things like chicken feet... and whey.... likely contain no more lead and other heavy metals per pound than say... a T-bone steak. But the steak is eaten in a natural form of just a few ounces and not condensed and processed into a food product.

It would take pounds milk serum to be condensed down into a useable protein powder. So... of course the normal pollutions (metals, pesticides, toxins) found in milk and beef should be found in processed waste foods.... but at much higher levels.

Quote Originally Posted by 8511biker View Post
    ....I feel this is not that dangerous to the level that it will do more harm than good. What do you think?
    More harm than good? Eating whey powders is much better than starving to death! If powered eggs, potato starch, whey shakes, and sawdust bread is all that is available for you to eat. Eat it... it may keep you alive till you can find better (actual) food. But eating to stay alive isn't the same as eating to be healthy. I would not IMHO... consider whey powders as "healthy". Sorry for the rant.
    Last edited by Dave Cutter; 07-24-2013 at 04:25 AM.
    If I didn't bicycle when the weather is bad... I wouldn't be a cyclist. I'd just be another old fat man... with a bicycle hanging in his garage.

Urban Cycling.... Overcome your fears (a YouTube Link).
    Learn to cycle in traffic
    Or... just HTFU

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Whey Protein Concentrate (WPC) or Whey protein isolate (WPI) which go into protein shakes are the concentrated protein from milk and cheese production yes--but they are over 70% Crude Protein with an Amino acid profile only out done by egg which is held as the ideal biological protein/amino acid source. In research nothing beats the muscle tissue recovery aspects of WPC
    2013 CAAD10

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by russm View Post
    .... In research nothing beats the muscle tissue recovery aspects of WPC
    Oh really? I'd love to hear more of these cultures of people who have benefited from eating farm animal and pet food additives.

I have nothing against whey... or any other highly processed food-like products. But make no mistake... these are not foods created by science for the benefit or improvement of human health. These waste food-like products are simply a means to cut waste and support a profit. They were developed by dairy producers with the hope to preserve the smallest amount of lost food value in the waste stream.

These whey powders are every bit as good a food-like product as Pink-Slime Beef.

But... selling this waste food-like product [which has been proven to be suitable as an animal feed additive].... as human health food.... is just wrong. Waste dairy fat... has NO special, healthful, or recovery benefits.

A big glass of chocolate milk however....
    Last edited by Dave Cutter; 07-25-2013 at 04:35 PM.
    If I didn't bicycle when the weather is bad... I wouldn't be a cyclist. I'd just be another old fat man... with a bicycle hanging in his garage.

Or... just HTFU

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by russm View Post
    Whey Protein Concentrate (WPC) or Whey protein isolate (WPI) which go into protein shakes are the concentrated protein from milk and cheese production yes--but they are over 70% Crude Protein with an Amino acid profile only out done by egg which is held as the ideal biological protein/amino acid source. In research nothing beats the muscle tissue recovery aspects of WPC
    But in reality, nothing beats the recovery and nutritional aspects of red meat.

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you actually read the literature, whey protein (while it is a 'waste product of the dairy industry) has the best amino acid profile (leucine content and amino acid kinetics) and has beat or tied soy, beef, casein, and milk proteins on a matched gram for gram basis to increase post resistance training muscle protein synthesis (as measured by fractional synthesis rate or rate of disappearance).

HOWEVER!!!!! With that being said, the differences are small and the overall dietary quality (and potentially timing of nutrient intake) are more important than the immediate post exercise source (as long as the MPS threshold is breached).

This can be accomplished with beef, chicken, milk, pork, fish, and even soy. But it might take more of those protein sources (which most of us get because the threshold for most applications is just north of 20 grams of 'quality' protein).

We don't have enough long term studies to truly elucidate if an all soy vs all whey (or what ever source with all other variables matched) would yield a difference in MPS, gain of muscle mass, or recovery.

Bottom line....do you 'need' whey....NO. Is it a convenient method to get high quality protein after resistance training?....Yes. But as I said, real food will have a very similar effect if you get enough (30 - 40 grams for insurance that you surpass the amount needed to maximize protein synthetic response).

On the chocolate milk note......Data that I am in the process of examining in low trained college aged males during 12 weeks of resistance training does not appear to show a difference between 1% chocolate milk and whey protein in any of the measured outcomes (LBM, strength, weight gain, bone density, circumference)

But I am still wading through the diet analysis. If you didn't know....College males eat like crap.......
    "The lower limit of dietary carbohydrate compatible with life apparently is zero, provided that adequate amounts of protein and fat are consumed."......http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?reco...10490&page=275

Feel free to PM me nutrition questions. I will answer them if I have time.....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NealH View Post
    But in reality, nothing beats the recovery and nutritional aspects of red meat.
    I think that depends on the person's physiology... but I fully agree as far as I'm concerned. Fish does nothing for me, at least not the amounts I can physically ingest; both chicken and pork are ok, but nothing fixes my torn up muscles like a thick cut steak or lamb shanks. Ground beef is even better as the body wastes very little time in absorbing it. Eggs are another super food I find helps immensely during recovery and build-up.
    Argon 18
    Ridley
    Brodie

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sdeeer View Post
    ..... But I am still wading through the diet analysis. If you didn't know....College males eat like crap.......
    Still wading? Why not just read that one report that tracked even one gram of any nutrient through a human body? Oh... no one has done that yet... well analysis over.

Kids eat like crap... smart kids convince themselves that their crap is scientifically... non-crappy. If your in college... it should be OK for me to share this with you. Powdered mix food-like products are to food... as what masturbation is to sex.

A little advice from an old guy: Learn to enjoy yourself. You won't be young forever... life is really very, very short. Don't over-indulge but do eat a wide variety of the healthiest and best tasting stuff you can. Leave the animal feed, pet food, and touching yourself to the guys who won't be back in school this fall.

Or... just HTFU

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Cholesterol 65mg 22%
    I'd worry more about that.

Fat and slow but trying
    Whey protein is a supplement. It's not meant to be a meal or replacement for a meal. It serves one purpose and does it well. Use it as intended and move on. Get most of your nutrients from real food and use the whey post workout or if you really need to squeeze in a little extra protein and don't feel like choking down another chicken breast or couple of eggs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Did you even read my post Dave?

The diet data that I am analyzing is MY DATA from a 35 18 -23 year old college aged males who typically lifted 2 - 3 times per week before enrolling in MY STUDY.

I am not in college, I am the PI and a professor.

While some of your comments in many threads have merit, your n=1's and anecdotal 'data' is good for you, and your collective experience, but often can not be generalized to the population.

You seem to be arguing that whey is garbage when that is simply not true.

But as stated, whey and other protein powders are not necessary components to a diet and may not even make that much of a difference. But it has YET TO BE SHOWN TO BE INFERIOR to all other protein sources that it has been clinically compared to when examining MPS.

If you are unaware of a recent wealth of information regarding most supplements, check out examine.com.

They review multiple different supplements using the clinical studies.

Bottom line......most don't do much for you if anything.

And your diet and training (in all sports) are paramount to success over supplement use!
    "The lower limit of dietary carbohydrate compatible with life apparently is zero, provided that adequate amounts of protein and fat are consumed."......http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?reco...10490&page=275

Feel free to PM me nutrition questions. I will answer them if I have time.....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Labeling something as a waste product or additive is pretty meaningless. Is low fat milk a waste product of cream production...or is cream a waist product of low fat milk production? Back in the day, Little Miss Muffet ate her curds and whey. Nowadays, we eat lots of curds (processed into cheese), leaving an excess of whey. Something being put into animal feed or pet food doesn't mean it has no or poor nutritional value, it means it's an inexpensive source of nutrition. It's inexpensive often because it's excess to the human food market demand.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by looigi View Post
    Labeling something as a waste product or additive is pretty meaningless. Is low fat milk a waste product of cream production...or is cream a waist product of low fat milk production?
    yes, cream is a waist product
    Blows your hair back.

Fat and slow but trying
    Quote Originally Posted by den bakker View Post
    yes, cream is a waist product
    haha...I see what you did there

Fat and slow but trying
    I guess donut holes are a waist product too but damn they sure are tasty.