RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011

Will begin the Carmichael Time Crunch in 10 days

Alright; for those interested, in just over a week im going to start a running log of my progress with the Carmichael Time Crunch 8-11 week cycle workout.

I read the entire book virtually front to back two times and understand the concepts and the rational behind the concept. After reading the book im convinced that is may be the best option for "me". Im sort of a science physiology guru so the book was right up my alley.

Why the 10 day wait? Well i need to wait for my HR monitor to get back from Polar (its sat with dead batteries for 5 years). Time to have my doctor run a routine physical on me. This will also give me a bit of time to adjust my diet and work a low volume steady base to prepare my muscles, tendons (and crotch) for the time on the bike. I have been doing some steady cycling for the past few weeks and really enjoy it! Im stoked and ready to give this a shot!

Base Bio Info:
    DOB: 8/1/1974
    Height 6' 1"
    Weight 170lb +/-2lb thin frame
    Bike: Cannondale CAAD7 R2000 Ultegra/Dura-ace equipped.

Athletic History: Competitive middle/middle-long distance runner in high school and college. Minimal Cycling experience during a few years of duathlon/triathlon training in the early and min 1990's. I seemed to enjoy and excel more in the shorter distance, distance races....3000, 5000 and 3000 steeple chase.
    PR 800m 1.51 1996 (outdoor track)
    PR 1 mile: 4.11 1997 (indoor track)
    PR 5k: 14:38 (outdoor track) 1997
    PR 10k 29.52 1997 (cross country)

Since the late 1990's i have not been competitively running or riding my bikes. Ive kept fit jogging, lifting some weights and motocross riding. MTB and RB have collected dust However my weight has gone from 148lbs in my prime to the current 170'ish and i feel it.

My goal will be to improve on a 30k time-trial time for my personal private goal and to compete in some CAT5 citizen races in June and early July and be able to keep up with the main group for 30-40 mile rides prior to transitioning this training to a running/duathlon regiment if my health allows it.

Let the count down begin.....let the fun begin.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugergundog
    PR 800m 1.51 1996 (outdoor track)
    PR 1 mile: 4.11 1997 (indoor track)
    PR 5k: 14:38 (outdoor track) 1997
    PR 10k 29.52 1997 (cross country)
    Prepare to be FAST. Good luck.
    Last edited by soup67; 04-06-2011 at 07:53 AM.

Don't Tread on Me
    Aug 2009
    I'm happy with the results thus far using TCTP. I'm starting week 7, and my performance from last weeks crit was beyond my expectations, considering the track, and my body type ( more of a climber at 145lbs).

Good luck - I think you'll enjoy the program.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for the nice encouragement guys! Im tall and generally pretty lean when at race weight....despite being 170lbs im still a "rail" everyone tells me.......but i feel heavy compared to what im use to.

Im pretty excited to give this plan a whirl and see how it works out. Once i get started im gonna post up a running diologe of how each workout goes....both good and bad.

Bob

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Well day one is on the books.

Today was the two 8 minute test intervals to establish a usable average heart rate at a all out effort. My max was 174 while my average was 168 and 170.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Just finished week one of the program. Bummer was the weather here in Michigan did not cooperate so i had to complete the work-outs on my spin-bike.

In any event; the workouts were tough but i could manage them. I think my target heart rates are pretty accurate as described.

I lost a little weight and i for sure do feel stronger already. I can't wait to get going on my roadbike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Just finished the meat of week 2 of the progam. Interval workouts were composed of 3x10min following 90 minute warm-up. I was able to complete the second interval workout outside on my actual bike. I did find that while outside on the bike there was a different perceived feel of heart rate. 160bpm on my spinner is a solid intensity...while for whatever reason outside it did not feel as high while at the same pulse rate.

Pleased to say i am already feeling stronger.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    The intervals are supposed to be completed during the 90 - 120 endurance minutes, not afterward. There's a paragraph somewhere in the book that explains it. Otherwise, good work!