RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004

Question Winter Windblocking Jersey/Tights

I live in the DC area and would like to ride more in the winter. I have the usual winter stuff (tights, baselayers, warmer jerseys) but I have not found really good windblocking jerseys and tights.

I see riders out there who don't have jackets on but rather have pretty form-fitting jerseys. When I ride in weather below about 50 degrees I absolutely freeze. I think I need some windblocking stuff but HATE flappy jackets as its VERY windy in the winter where I ride. I've seen Assos stuff in Colorado Cyclist, it looks awesome but it's very pricey.

Any thoughts on what to buy and where to buy it? What do you maniacs out in Colorado wear in the winter?

Power Napper

Look outside of cycling gear.

Check out cold weather clothing made for other endurance sports like x-country skiing or running.

The best jacket I have for cold weather cycling is close fitting and made for cross country skiing by REI. It is wind blocking on the front, but has fleece on the back and lower arms for ventilation. I have worn polypro underwear on really cold days, or a base layer, short sleeve jersey and arm warmers on slightly less cold days. It unzips from the bottom too, so if I need to vent more I can unzip from both top and bottom, and the jacket doesn't flap around. I generally don't wear windblock tights too often, unless it's very cold (less than 32F) or a really windy day. I have a pair of Bellweather wind front no-chamois tights, and wear regular shorts underneath. Otherwise I have tights with chamois in a couple different thicknesses depending on temps.

It took me a lot of searching around. You may have better luck than me because there is more high quality guy stuff made than girl stuff.
    "When it shall be said in any country in the world, my poor are happy; neither ignorance nor distress is to be found among them; my jails are empty of prisoners, my streets of beggars; the aged are not in want, the taxes are not oppressive; the rational world is my friend, because I am the friend of its happiness: when these things can be said, then may that country boast its constitution and its government." -Thomas Paine

RoadBikeReview Member
    Not cheap, but the Assos Airblock jacket is very nice.

http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='6350-10'

I've also begun to like having a wool baselayer, wool socks, and even a wool skullcap when its really cold, or I'm out in it for a long time. Wool seems to hold in heat much better than synthetics.

Enjoy...

Call me a Fred
    It depends on how cold/wet it is. My favorite outer layer is a Windstopper jacket from Performance. It breathes good and keeps water out. As the weather gets colder, I add layering under it. The most I have needed is a wool undershirt and a longsleeve jersey. When it is too cold/messy for regular tights, I wear the PI Amfib tights over bib shorts. I wear either a wind cover over my shoes/wool socks or neoprene boots, again depending on conditions. I have a helmet cover that I usually use if it is cold enough for tights and I frequently use an ear cover. If it is really cold, then a balaclava is necessary. For really cold, I use ski goggles instead of glasses.

The only garment that I wish I had was a windproof vest.
    Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

Sleepy John Estes

H

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

As a cold weather...

cyclist, climber and XC skier, I've gone through a lot of gear over the years. As near as I can tell the best:

Another vote for the PI Amfib tights. Honestly, I only ride in these things when it's below freezing and would only skate in them if it was sub 0. But then, I'm pretty accustomed to the cold...

The Marmot Driclime Windshirt: Perhaps the greatest jacket ever made and it's only $100. Waterproof, breathable, packs into a stuffsack that fits into a bottle cage, lightly fleece lined. Seriously, if they came out with one of these in bright yellow with pockets in the back and told me it cost a grand, I'd probably end up buying the stupid thing.

Booties. I don't think the brand matters, but they are one of history's great inventions.

Gloves: Get ones made for XC sking. Remember what makes a glove good: Warmth, dexterity, a clip that connects them together, and a snot wipe on the index finger. Accept nothing that doesn't meet all requirements.

Have fun (if that is indeed possible.)

Go Blue

Another vote for Assos

Quote Originally Posted by PdxMark
    Not cheap, but the Assos Airblock jacket is very nice.

http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='6350-10'

I've also begun to like having a wool baselayer, wool socks, and even a wool skullcap when its really cold, or I'm out in it for a long time. Wool seems to hold in heat much better than synthetics.

Enjoy...
    I have both the Assos Airblock jacket and the Assos Airblock tights. They are a great combo for low temperatures (at least as low as 18 degrees, my current low temperature record). These were a present to myself last March when they went on sale. I doubt that you will find too many sales right now. If you can wait atleast until after Christmas, you may find come better prices. If you don't want to break the bank, I also would recommend the PI AmFib tights. They are good at blocking the wind but breathe at the back.
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

Ya, what ATP said...!
    Quote Originally Posted by wyomingclimber
    Booties. I don't think the brand matters, but they are one of history's great inventions.
    I'll second this. They were instrumental in the Roman winter campaigns. Get some booties or, at minimum, toe covers. There are a number of ways to do windblocking. Craft makes a longsleeved base layer in wool with wind blocker on the front. Love it but they're around $60. PI makes a range of vests, some fleeced, some not, that have zephyr windblock on the front, mesh or fleece on the back. Either way, protect the torso since its the largest target. Skull caps are very effective as well and will help to keep blood flowing to the toes and fingers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    you should be looking for a vest or jacket made from either "windtex" or "breezewall" fabric. this material is windproof and stretchy, so it is close fitting. our team uses santini breezewall vests, and they are fantastic. I also just got a new quickstep windtex jacket, close fitting like a long sleeved jersey, for $65 on e-bay. IMHO, the price of the assos stuff is obscene.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

carft

Also check out Craft, they make some amazingly high quality stuff.
    Check out their Undershirt with the Windblocking front, it might seem a bit pricey for a
    "undershirt" but trust me once you get it you will love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fignon's Barber
    you should be looking for a vest or jacket made from either "windtex" or "breezewall" fabric. this material is windproof and stretchy, so it is close fitting. our team uses santini breezewall vests, and they are fantastic. I also just got a new quickstep windtex jacket, close fitting like a long sleeved jersey, for $65 on e-bay. IMHO, the price of the assos stuff is obscene.

Ya, what ATP said...!
    Quote Originally Posted by trener1
    Check out their Undershirt with the Windblocking front, it might seem a bit pricey for a
    IMO, one of these is worth two jerseys. Well worth the price.

PMC
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by trener1
    I've found the Craft wind-blocking base layer almost too much in most situations. I spent 3 hours out today in 14-16 degree weather and was over heating doing zone 2 work wearing one. I was also wearing a long sleeve Castelli jersey and a team windproof jacket (both were partially unzipped). The part I find limiting with these base layers is you cannot unzip the wind-block portion to cool down as you can with a vest or jacket.

The best application I've found for the Craft wind-block base layer is early season road races with temps in the 30s under a summer weight jersey with arm warmers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SANDICO
    I live in the DC area and would like to ride more in the winter. I have the usual winter stuff (tights, baselayers, warmer jerseys) but I have not found really good windblocking jerseys and tights.

I see riders out there who don't have jackets on but rather have pretty form-fitting jerseys. When I ride in weather below about 50 degrees I absolutely freeze. I think I need some windblocking stuff but HATE flappy jackets as its VERY windy in the winter where I ride. I've seen Assos stuff in Colorado Cyclist, it looks awesome but it's very pricey.

Any thoughts on what to buy and where to buy it? What do you maniacs out in Colorado wear in the winter?
    I live in Wisconsin and this week it was hitting the zero mark but it was good to leave the road bike on the trainer in the basement and get outside for some fresh air on the mountain bike. To answer your question about windproof layers I concur with the other writers about the PI Amphib tights.They are very good windstoppers and on days down to thirty I find them adequate without a base layer. One thing about them though. The seat is slick as all-get-out. Be careful adjusting your riding position or you'll slide off the back.
    When you do need a baselayer I'm hooked on the UnderArmour coldweather stuff. It's very form fitting and doesn't bunch up under tights. It wicks away moisture so you don't get clammy. It is a bit pricey. REI also makes some very nice synthetic baselayers under their brandname that are vey reasonable.
    I use a PI top for a wind breaker but that may be too flappy for you. When it gets really cold I use an old Columbia Goretex anorak that is not as flappy that also has more pockets.
    Just a few other coldweather tips. Don't forget your pulse points. If your jacket and gloves don't adequately cover your wrists use some wrist bands or old sock tops. For your neck use a turtleneck or a neck gaiter. A skull cap with or without earflaps is indespensible. Someone made the suggestion about ski goggles, great idea. They cover alot of surface area. So does a balaclava. I don't like fabric on my face so I use a heavy laver of skin protectant. The one I like is Dermatone. I think it keeps me warmer by blocking the wind and it smells pretty good too.
    When your'e out in the winter don't forget to eat. If these suggestions don't help come to Madison in February when we chop a hole in the ice and jump in the lake to raise money for Special Olympics. Then you'll realize that the cold you feel on your bike is all relative.

RoadBikeReview Member

Three words: Gore Bike Wear

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=1130

I bought this jacket last week from a Performance flyer mailed to me, some sort of clearance/end of season/holiday sale for $99. It's on their website at $129, but I bet if you call in an order they'll give you the $99 price. For me in the Pacific Northwest, it's perfect. It's a form-fitting jacket that stows in its own pocket, and it has zip off sleeves making it a vest as well when Spring rolls around.
    The Windstopper fabric is fantastic as your outter layer for fighting wind, and it's water resistant but I haven't put it through a true Seattle Shower test yet...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PMC
    I've found the Craft wind-blocking base layer almost too much in most situations. The part I find limiting with these base layers is you cannot unzip the wind-block portion to cool down as you can with a vest or jacket.
    I also found the Craft shirt to be too warm. Consider having a zipper installed by a tailor. I have a friend that does wonders with a sewing machine. I had her install a 12" zipper on mine. Fabulous!
    Pain is weakness leaving the body!!!
    Work to Eat / Eat to Live / Live to Ride / Ride to Work

hi, I'm Larry

I just got a pair of Bimme Windstopper bibs

I'm happy with them. They show up on ebay for $89 now and then. The fronts have the flexible windstopper material and a very thin layer of insulation. The sides and backs are heavy weight spandex. I went with the bibs since my stomach gets cold in the cold weather. Be careful, they are euro sizes and even a little tight for the eurosizes. I was out in 20 degree weather with them with a polyproplene long johns underneath. I stayed plenty warm. I would expect I could do 30 degrees and possibly lower with just the tights. Next time in the real cold weather I will put my old tights over the top of these since they run on the tight side (the waist and length is okay but my thighs are tight.) They have pads so there is no need for padded shorts underneath. I also have a IP Kodiak jacket. It is not windblocking and fits fairly snug but even though it is a medium it is still a little baggy.

I hope to give them a try again this evening. We are having a heat wave. It is up to 35 degrees out so it's time to ride the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by SANDICO

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wyomingclimber
    The Marmot Driclime Windshirt: Perhaps the greatest jacket ever made and it's only $100. Waterproof,
    I agree that the DriClime is very possibly the greatest jacket known to man (read: super versatile). However, it's not waterproof, only highly water resistant (which works 90% of the time anyway.) I wear mine instead of my waterproof jacket any time I can, which is most of the time on the bike, since i don't ride in the rain (on purpose! )

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003

Question on amfibs

so I ordered a pair of amfib bibs, size large They are super-tight in the legs, almost too tight to ride, way too loose in the "bib" and waist area. They're also a bit short, I have 34-35" long legs. I thought about getting the non-bibs in an xl, but they would be way to big in the waist. I always wear larges.

My question is, will these things stretch out a bit, or should I look for something else? Any suggestions on something superwarm that runs longer? I am in michigan and need something for the 20 degree days. The various regular spandex tights fit fine but aren't warm enough for that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dave11
    so I ordered a pair of amfib bibs, size large They are super-tight in the legs, almost too tight to ride, way too loose in the "bib" and waist area. They're also a bit short, I have 34-35" long legs. I thought about getting the non-bibs in an xl, but they would be way to big in the waist. I always wear larges.

My question is, will these things stretch out a bit, or should I look for something else? Any suggestions on something superwarm that runs longer? I am in michigan and need something for the 20 degree days. The various regular spandex tights fit fine but aren't warm enough for that.
    I'm just about the same size as you and I got XL's, non bib. They are a bit big but the large was too snug in the legs. I have 4 other sets of tights/legwarmers. These don't fit nice and tight due to the type of material. I quit worrying about the fit and enjoy the warmth.

I've had mine about 3 months now and they haven't changed size one bit so rule that option out. They are incredibly warm, especially for your gential area which is a HUGE plus!