Thread: 120mm Road Hub

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012

120mm Road Hub

I am trying to locate a 120mm road hub, either high or low flange, 32 or 36 hole to use with Atom and Regina 5-speed freewheels. I used to cycle competitively with this bike in the 1970s and need to build a lightweight clincher wheel for training purposes.

Any suggestions as to where I can locate something of this nature? E-Bay's a pain in the you-know-what what with the crazy bidding and all, and I don't want to spend a fortune on the "Buy Now" option.

Help would be enormously appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to look at this.

RoadBikeReview Member

Bike swap meets or EBay

You can try the swap meets if there are any in your area but EBay is still probably your best bet. You can also buy a 126mm hub and then buy an axle for a 120mm build.
    i've got limited minutes left in life, don't waste my time

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks. I will probably have to go the 126mm to 120mm conversion as this is most likely the easiest route.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    I can part with a set of Phil Wood tubular wheels if you like. Make me an offer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012

Thanks

Actually, I found a Phil Woods hub on e-bay and have already had a wheel built, but thanks for the offer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Good move! Glad you found something to work with.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Yeah, ebay's quite remarkable in terms of the selection of vintage components they have. It's a valuable resource for old farts like me that refuse to give up the old equipment in favor of the carbon fiber this and the titanium that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    If you're still looking for a 120mm hub, you might consider looking at Pelissier 2000 "Professionel" rear hubs as they came in 123mm spacing. Enough of them pop up a eBay every year that it's easy to find them. The 3mm oversize will be close nought that you won't really need to cold set your steel frame (I suspect it's steel because of the old spec narrow 120mm spacing) wider to fit them in, just spread the rear triangle a little when you mount the rear wheel and make sure the quick realease is tight enough everytime to pull the dropouts and stay ends in alignment., but if you are brave enough, you might be able to do the slight cold set on the rear tiangle yourself because 3mm is such a small variance.

Chombi

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks for the suggestion. I've already located and purchased a couple of 120mm rear hubs on e-bay.