Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: veloreality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    78

    1978 Masi Gran Criterium

    Here's my 78' crit, enjoy
    not for sale
    not for sale
    not for sale
    not for sale
    not for sale

  2. #2
    Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Reputation: Dave Hickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    20,856
    Will you people stop posting these gorgeous bikes....I keep telling myself I don't need a new project...

    Veloreality- That bike speaks to be.......well done..

    What tires are those?
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

    My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velomateo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    210
    Very nice, although you should have remove the pump for the pics. Repaint?

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: veloreality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hickey
    Will you people stop posting these gorgeous bikes....I keep telling myself I don't need a new project...

    Veloreality- That bike speaks to be.......well done..

    What tires are those?
    haha thanks,
    the tires are vittoria action pro team tires(no longer made unfortunatly)

    Quote Originally Posted by velomateo
    Very nice, although you should have remove the pump for the pics. Repaint?
    thanks,
    yes, repaint by jim allen about 6 years ago.

  5. #5
    banned from the museum
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,751
    I have a silver seat post just like that, 27.2. Wanna trade? That bike needs a silver one.

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: veloreality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by My Own Private Idaho
    I have a silver seat post just like that, 27.2. Wanna trade? That bike needs a silver one.
    this seat and seatpost is actually being borrowed off my mtb. ill pick up a vintage campy post when i have funds. unless yor local im not really interested.

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: redmasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    235
    Beautiful bike... Love it in black!

    Mine's a youngster and just turned 21 ('89 prod date).
    It was my second road bike (my beloved Schwinn Varsity was first), but it was the first I paid for myself.
    I'm about to re-install the downtube shifters and toe clips, and she'll be set for another 21 years.


  8. #8
    Master Photographer
    Reputation: AFenvy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by veloreality
    haha thanks,
    the tires are vittoria action pro team tires(no longer made unfortunatly)


    thanks,
    yes, repaint by jim allen about 6 years ago.

    Damnit! Those tires would look dead sexy on my old Le Mans RS! That is a beautiful bike you have there, treat her well!

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: veloreality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by AFenvy
    Damnit! Those tires would look dead sexy on my old Le Mans RS! That is a beautiful bike you have there, treat her well!
    you can find them on ebay from time to time.
    heres a set in yellow
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Vittoria-Pro-Tea...item20b56d6966

    ill treat it very well. unfortunatly a broken elbow is restricting me from taking it out on pavement and its stuck on the trainer

  10. #10
    JP
    JP is offline
    Lizzie will ride free
    Reputation: JP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,153
    Well I wiped the drool off the ceyboard. Some of the slobber shorted out the letter "c."

    Anyway, that's pretty sweet. Someone makes copies of the brace lever hoods if you need them that don't cost a fortune. If you don't find them online, I've seen them at Elliott Bay Bices in Seattle.
    "Another shot of the 6th Street Bridge. I guess I'm feeling sentimental because word is they're going to tear it down and build a replacement." DrRoebuck

    http://subterraneanhomesickrandonneurblues.blogspot.com

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Ride-Fly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    1,905
    Quote Originally Posted by redmasi
    Beautiful bike... Love it in black!

    Mine's a youngster and just turned 21 ('89 prod date).
    It was my second road bike (my beloved Schwinn Varsity was first), but it was the first I paid for myself.
    I'm about to re-install the downtube shifters and toe clips, and she'll be set for another 21 years.

    BAD AZZZZ redmasi!! Well done!!! (Is this the bike you converted to Campy?)
    Ordered and Fitted for my Custom DEAN Titanium frame on Sept 17th, 2008. Finally got it in Oct, 2010!!!

  12. #12
    Get me to In&Out
    Reputation: spookyload's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,550
    Nice Bike. I like how it says "not for sale" when you hold the mouse over the picture.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Ride-Fly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    1,905
    Quote Originally Posted by veloreality
    haha thanks,
    the tires are vittoria action pro team tires(no longer made unfortunatly)


    thanks,
    yes, repaint by jim allen about 6 years ago.
    Also BAD AZZ!!! I was gonna ask you if you ever rode the black beauty but then I see that you got her re-painted. Still, it was 6 years ago...so I gotta ask ya...do you ever ride that thing???
    Ordered and Fitted for my Custom DEAN Titanium frame on Sept 17th, 2008. Finally got it in Oct, 2010!!!

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: redmasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride-Fly
    BAD AZZZZ redmasi!! Well done!!! (Is this the bike you converted to Campy?)
    Thanks Bro!

    Negative, different frame. Carbon, Ti, Alu, and ____ frames will likely come & go from the stable, but the GC will always have a home.
    Last edited by redmasi; 11-29-2010 at 09:59 AM.

  15. #15
    duh...
    Reputation: FatTireFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    9,823
    Quote Originally Posted by velomateo
    Very nice, although you should have remove the pump for the pics. Repaint?


    eeek, a french pump?! that bike deserves a silca...
    interesting choice of SP; is the STA too steep for you?
    .


    Quote Originally Posted by mikagsd
    Fat tire Fred....you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid

  16. #16
    duh...
    Reputation: FatTireFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    9,823
    Quote Originally Posted by redmasi
    Beautiful bike... Love it in black!

    Mine's a youngster and just turned 21 ('89 prod date).
    It was my second road bike (my beloved Schwinn Varsity was first), but it was the first I paid for myself.
    I'm about to re-install the downtube shifters and toe clips, and she'll be set for another 21 years.


    wow, how long is that stem?
    .


    Quote Originally Posted by mikagsd
    Fat tire Fred....you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: veloreality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by JP
    Well I wiped the drool off the ceyboard. Some of the slobber shorted out the letter "c."

    Anyway, that's pretty sweet. Someone makes copies of the brace lever hoods if you need them that don't cost a fortune. If you don't find them online, I've seen them at Elliott Bay Bices in Seattle.
    thanks, ill be on the lookout for some hood in the near future.
    Quote Originally Posted by spookyload
    Nice Bike. I like how it says "not for sale" when you hold the mouse over the picture.
    haha i have to do that becuase 90% of the stuff in my flickr is for sale and i use my albums for my adds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride-Fly
    Also BAD AZZ!!! I was gonna ask you if you ever rode the black beauty but then I see that you got her re-painted. Still, it was 6 years ago...so I gotta ask ya...do you ever ride that thing???
    heres the story. i work at a bike shop and my manager owned this bike, it was his daily rider for years. about 6 years ago he had it repainted and he hung it up. i finally convinced him to sell it to me on saturday.
    it has never been ridden with the new paint so it is prestine. i am currently healing from a mtb accident that happened about a month ago that broke my elbow so unfortunatly i can't leave the trainer for another month or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTireFred
    eeek, a french pump?! that bike deserves a silca...
    interesting choice of SP; is the STA too steep for you?
    haha i know, i have a silca for it but i need a new handle and i will have jim allen paint it to match when i have a chance. the seat and seatpost are temporary as it had and even more insulting set up when i picked it up. im in pretty deep debt right now with my medical bills so im focusing on that for now. once that is all done i will have this thing dialed in.

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: redmasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTireFred

    wow, how long is that stem?
    140mm of heavenly joy...................... For the WIN!

    Last edited by redmasi; 11-29-2010 at 01:08 PM.

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: veloreality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    78
    Threw some gatorskins on, the vittorias I had on there were kinda crispy. I had the gators already from a previous bike.

    Should I put the brown brooks swift and matching bartape on this?

    When I have the funds the first few things I'll be picking up is a silver campy post and campy lever boots off ebay as well as a black brooks swallow and matching black tape.

    I might even pick up road pedals for the first time. I'll probably start cheap with some basic shimano's probably.

    I'm gonna try and ride to work tomarrow. Hopefully my elbow wont give me issues if I stay in the saddle and just cruise.


  20. #20
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: redmasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by veloreality

    Should I put the brown brooks swift and matching bartape on this?

    When I have the funds the first few things I'll be picking up is a silver campy post and campy lever boots off ebay as well as a black brooks swallow and matching black tape.
    Looking Good! One vote for Black Brooks Swallow / matching Brooks Black Leather Tape.
    Of course, don't forget the retro-Italian jersey + cycling cap!

    If you can beat this price on the tape, you're a better man than me :

    10% Off Coupon Code ~ BCthanks2010
    http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?m...oducts_id=6741

  21. #21
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: veloreality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by redmasi
    Looking Good! One vote for Black Brooks Swallow / matching Brooks Black Leather Tape.
    Of course, don't forget the retro-Italian jersey + cycling cap!

    If you can beat this price on the tape, you're a better man than me :

    10% Off Coupon Code ~ BCthanks2010
    http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?m...oducts_id=6741
    I have a feeling thats what im gonna go with.
    I work at a bike shop so its actually a few dollars cheaper then at bens but holy moly that is quite the sale!

  22. #22
    Slippery Old Devil
    Reputation: oily666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,641
    One of my all time favorites. Drooled over one in 1975 when $800.00 was a lot of money....well, more than I had to spare.

  23. #23
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    13
    I found an Italian made 1971 Masi "Gran Criterium" about a year ago. I was donated to a bicycle charity I volunteer much of my time to, Bicycles for Humanity. Through the B4H Earn A Bicycle Program, I was allowed to keep the bicycle. Sadly, it was just too small for me and it now lives in sunny California?

    Great bicycles and I do wish that the one that came my way had fit and stayed.

  24. #24
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: veloreality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    78
    So update on this,
    Turns out It's really a 1981. Built in San Marcos.

  25. #25
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    124
    First, awesome bike. One point, the brake cables should come behind the bar, not in front of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Sea Otter Classic

Hot Deals

Contest


Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook