RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011

1985 Eddy Mercx Corsa Extra sticker problem

I have a 85 Eddy Mercx Corsa Extra serial: 3XP 8572 Z that is in mint, and I do mean mint condition. Problem is, the serial says it is a corsa but the only sticker it is missing is the sticker that is on the top tube that says "Corsa Extra". Why? the color of the frame is just and shiny and bright as it probably rolled off the assembly line with. I will take some pics tonight. I notice all of the later frames that have the cable going through the top tube have those stickers. My bike has the little rings on top to hold the cable on the top tube.

there is no visual evidence there ever was a sticker either. I looked closely.

the serial number is where I came up with the idea that is was a Corsa Extra. I looked on the serial ID that you guys posted.

It really doesn't matter, I was just curious.

Oh yeah, just out of curiosity, how much did this bike cost new? with Nuovo record group on it? I was wondering if I could have afforded one back in the day. I think I know the answer, but again, I am just curious.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It could be that the P in the XP = Professional. Many of the Professionals that I have seen had the cables loops and did not have a gold model decal on the top tube. I have also noticed a lot of Merckx frames missing the top tube decal, I don't know if over time they deteriorated and fell off or the factory just omitted them sometimes.

Definitely post some pics, everybody here enjoys checking out clean bikes.