lodestar

1987 Maruishi RX-5

I picked this up on Craigslist. By doing a little research on components, my best guess is that this bike was produced in 1987. I was told by the seller that Maruishi produces bikes for Jamis, or maybe that Maruishi is now Jamis.

The ST is 53CT, and the TT is 54.5 CC. 45cm chainstays
    Tubes: "Tange 900 CR-MO Double Butted Tubes"
    Shifters, derailleurs: SunTour Alpha 3000 indexed/friction
    Freewheel: 6 speed 14-32 (may not be original)
    Chain: HKK Ultra 6
    Brakes, Levers: Dia-Compe
    Hubs: Suzue
    QR: Sunshine
    Rims: Araya 700C
    Cranks: Sakae SX
    Chainwheels: 52/40 steel
    Seatpin: SR
    Stem: 80mm SR
    HB: Sakae 38cm
    Weight: 24lb 14oz as it sits.

Original seat, tires, HB wrap, and brake hoods are lost. Has a fair amount of corrosion and rust on the components. I pulled the seatpin and the stem, and there was minimal visible rust in the frame. So far, so good.

1987 Maruishi RX-5-1987-maruishi_0002a.jpg

1987 Maruishi RX-5-1987-maruishi_0009a.jpg

1987 Maruishi RX-5-1987-maruishi_0011a.jpg

1987 Maruishi RX-5-1987-maruishi_0013a.jpg
    Last edited by killsoft; 09-14-2007 at 03:32 PM.

Master Bike Mechanic
    I'd say maybe '85-'86, and an 8 cm stem, an 80 cm stem would be rather awkward. Date is based on the brake levers and derailers, although it is possible those were thrown on as a cheap fix when older parts broke, or it was upgraded to indexed.

Either way it's a nice find, how much was it?
    And shepherds we shall be, for thee my Lord for thee, power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. And We shall flow a river forth unto thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be
    In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti

lodestar
    Quote Originally Posted by Durandal
    I'd say maybe '85-'86, and an 8 cm stem, an 80 cm stem would be rather awkward. Date is based on the brake levers and derailers, although it is possible those were thrown on as a cheap fix when older parts broke, or it was upgraded to indexed.

Either way it's a nice find, how much was it?
    Fixed the typo on the stem, thanks. I'm inclined to believe the components are original. There is no wear on the rims, brake pads, or chainrings. Based on what I've been able to find on the web, Alpha 3000 components became available in 1987. They were the least expensive indexed SunTour, followed by Alpha 5000, 7000, 9000, etc.

I don't want to sell it, but does anyone have an idea of what is the bike worth?

KS

Master Bike Mechanic
    I'd say probably from $100 to $150. And thinking back, yeah it has to be later 80's to have suntour indexed.
    And shepherds we shall be, for thee my Lord for thee, power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. And We shall flow a river forth unto thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be
    In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    aw man... are you in austin? I think I saw that listing on craigslist the other week. I clicked it and was about to email the guy and then I saw the listing disappear. So you're the guy that got it!

lodestar
    Quote Originally Posted by forced induxion
    aw man... are you in austin? I think I saw that listing on craigslist the other week. I clicked it and was about to email the guy and then I saw the listing disappear. So you're the guy that got it!
    Yep, and his phone kept ringing while I was there test riding it.

KS

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nice find. Red is always good on bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    I just picked up the same RX-5 in blue in the DFW area at an estate sale in great original condition. Seems to ride great with no work, just put air in the tires. I think it was stored indoors since it was new! The brake pads have hardly any wear on them. I will post some pics soon.