RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013

1989? Bottecchia adr replica

so went and had a look at the bottecchia i saw online. it isnt exactly mint, but she is in very good condition. the bottom of the bb where the cable guides run is a bit beat up, and there’s a good peanut sized paint chip on the headtube plus usual wear. the brake blocks looks brand new so the bike hasnt really done much besides get moved house to house.

the hardware is full campagnolo with the cinelli stem/bars. hubs/wheels/seatpost also campagnolo but all towards the low end as far as models go. 7 speed indexed downtube shifting…and herein is my quandry…disclaimer all the info i find is from google, not anything i actually know to be true or have verified

7 speed was around a very short time it seems. it is also spaced at 126mm at the rear. im not seeing much in the lines of 7 speed cassettes on the bay, but have read you can use 8 speed cassettes by omitting either a cog and/or a spacer. is this accurate?

if i wanted to…and i will…build a wheelset for this, am i stuck trying to locate 126mm hubs? is the process complicated to fit 130mm, which is what the 8 speed is? can a 7/8 speed cassette be slapped onto modern campagnolo freehubs easy peezy?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    I'm assuming this is a steel bike, do disregard if not.

I'm writing this not to tell you to convert away from your 7 speed set up, but only that it's very simple to use modern 130mm wheels (8/9/10 speed) if you want. If I were you, I'd just use 130mm wheels and convert to at least 8 speed (using new 8 speed indexed shifters, your current shifters in friction mode, or upgrading to some Ergo/STI integrated levers). I'm currently friction shifting a 10 speed cassette on my old bike and it seems to work just fine. I might switch to 8 or 9 if the close spacing of the 10 speed proves to be problematic in the long run.... or might just spring for some 10 speed integrated levers.

First, you can almost definitely put a modern 8/9/10 speed 130mm hub into that rear spacing. It will either be dead easy, or kind of a hassle.

But, it is dead easy to "cold set" the rear triangle. I had never done it before, and did it a couple of weeks ago on my 80s Sannino frame. It really was as easy and safe as people say. If you search for "cold set" or similar in the forums and online you'll find several ways of doing it.

After my experience, I think next time I'd try the Sheldon Brown method: Bicycle Frame/Hub Spacing

Because I happened to have a bench vice ready to go, I clamped the bottom bracket into a bench vise and simply using muscle force to spread the two sides:
    1989? Bottecchia adr replica-frame-vice-2.jpg.

Either way, it's easy to use the "string" method to check frame alignment.
    1989? Bottecchia adr replica-frame-alignment-measurement-l-2.jpg

I was exceedingly careful and it took about an hour. If I ever did it again, it would take 5-10 minutes.

Here's a thread about a simple tool I made to align the dropouts after spreading. Another DIY dropout alignment tool
    Last edited by Camilo; 05-03-2013 at 11:37 AM.

We have met the enemy...
    Is this the ADR replica with the chrome socks on the rear stays and chrome fork ends--or the other all painted one--a slightly lower model? Both nice bikes.

I was not paying attention during the first gen campag index/7 speed, but if memory serves the later generation of the DT index shifters (Sychro II) allowed you to change from six to seven speeds by switching out the index piece.

People have also filed an extra notch on the Sychro IIs and used them for 8 speed as well--there is a pretty good introduction here on Tears for Gears

You could definitely run 8 speed in friction mode and that would get you into a wheel type that there are more available
    "When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking."

(Sir) Arthur Conan Doyle. Scientific American, January 18, 1896

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    it's the purple and flouro green scheme. it has chrome on ds chain stay and forks are chrome entirely.

i think the plan will be to clean it all up, ride until it wears down, and in meantime collect parts to make the switch to 130mm spacing using friction.

this old stuff sure does come with lots of quirks.

thanks for the replies