RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007

2000 LeMond Zurich

Day after tomorrow, I'm supposed to take a look at a 2000 LeMond Zurich. Apparently, it was bought new, used a few times for casual riding, then has sat in a closet since. In other words, its supposed to be almost mint.

I'm looking for any thoughts you have about this bike.

I think it has a Reynolds 853 frame--I don't know whether LeMond used carbon forks that year or not. Anyone?

I think it came stock with the full Ultegra grouppo. Does this sound right?

Asking price is $1000. Assuming close to mint condition, is that a fair price? Or would I be better off putting that money toward a new Trek 1500 or something like that?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    It has a carbon fork and full ultegra. I have a 1998 that I'm in the process of overhauling (new wheels, shifters, etc.). It's a great bike. I've had it since new and has been my main rain bike for the past 5 years (I live in the Pacific NW). If you like the way it rides (stable, stage-race geometry), and it fits you, you cant go wrong. Is it worth $1,000? That's up to you. Personally I think it is a great all around racing/training bike and is a better value than a Trek 1500.

ARP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

Fit would be the key issue...

Quote Originally Posted by An Ex Parrot
    Day after tomorrow, I'm supposed to take a look at a 2000 LeMond Zurich. Apparently, it was bought new, used a few times for casual riding, then has sat in a closet since. In other words, its supposed to be almost mint.

I'm looking for any thoughts you have about this bike.

I think it has a Reynolds 853 frame--I don't know whether LeMond used carbon forks that year or not. Anyone?

I think it came stock with the full Ultegra grouppo. Does this sound right?

Asking price is $1000. Assuming close to mint condition, is that a fair price? Or would I be better off putting that money toward a new Trek 1500 or something like that?

Thoughts?

Thanks!
    I own a Z of that vintage (white with red panels) I still own the bike. It is by far the smoothest frame I have ever ridden. What I mean by fit is I am an "off the rack" fit. I don't require custom geometry to make a bike fit me. I normally ride a 57 TT CC frame. My Lemond is a 55 with a 56.5 TT CC. I ride it with a 120 stem. I could have went either way, larger frame shorter stem, I was really inbetween sizes and either would fit. Conventional thinking at the time of purchase was get the smallest frame that fits. 55 it was.

My only complaint about the frame was the paint. It cracked and peeled around the clamp for the FD, BB, bottle bosses. I mean like cheap tape in big hunks. The paint would crack, water would get under the paint and I would see this little river of rust start to form and under further investigation I would end up with a big piece of paint in my hand. To make a long story short Trek offered to respray for $200 plus shipping. I said no and acquired a set of decals for a Lemond MJ, had the frame powdercoated and painted/decals /cleared for $300. In a fantastic coke red /viper yellow. I like the bike.

What the Hell is going on

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Gunman
    My only complaint about the frame was the paint. It cracked and peeled around the clamp for the FD, BB, bottle bosses. I mean like cheap tape in big hunks. The paint would crack, water would get under the paint and I would see this little river of rust start to form and under further investigation I would end up with a big piece of paint in my hand. To make a long story short Trek offered to respray for $200 plus shipping. I said no and acquired a set of decals for a Lemond MJ, had the frame powdercoated and painted/decals /cleared for $300. In a fantastic coke red /viper yellow. I like the bike.
    I have the same LeMond in a 61cm. Those factory LeMond paint jobs were craptastic!
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

ARP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

I believe they were listed in the specs as...

Quote Originally Posted by JaeP
    I have the same LeMond in a 61cm. Those factory LeMond paint jobs were craptastic!
    Quick release.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    Whew! When did a 7-year-old bike become "C&V"?

Nothing against Zurich, though I just sold mine (wife said I was at N+2 in the stable).