Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 80's racing pix

waterproof*
    Anyway, scanned a bunch more. Here goes:

Ladies first - this is 84 at Winfrey Point, White Rock Lake, Dallas. Ladies start and the lovely Rebecca Twigg strapping in next to Jeannie Longo.

Longo leading the ladies, M Berglund at far left, C Carpenter next to her.

It's not really much of a hill but the course is open and cross-windy and that little bump will wear on after a few laps.

Plus a course like this lends itself to aggressive racing - here's a Berglund attack

Now Ms Twigg gets it rolling, Carpenter chasing

Group is splintered but the lovely Sue Ehlers, Texas local girl is still in there (far right)

This is a lovely spot on a pretty day. This day wasn't pretty at all.

a REALLY crappy shot of the finish. Longo defeats Carpenter and Twigg.
    * not actually a Rock Star

waterproof*
    Ok now the trivia contest. That's Sue Ehlers on the bike. Man she was gorgeous, and the sweetest girl. Anyway, name the stud muffin standing on the trailer.

waterproof*
    ok now the men.

Jeff Bradley.

Roy Knickman warming up and I don't know the other guy. For some reason I think he's Canadian?

USPRO Champ John Eustice warming up next to Chris Carmichael

Davis Phinney... OMG look at that baby face! Leading I think Tom Broznowski who if recall right won the US road natz that year?

I think this race was on a Sunday and Phinney had crashed on Saturday, or something like that. Leading Thurlow Rogers.

I'm pretty sure that's Bob Beckman in the cool helmet. Now making neat touring bikes as Sakkit Designs.

waterproof*
    Ok one year later now, 1985, different course - this is Flagpole Hill which is a considerably larger hill and the pavement has always been nasty and choppy. Still part of White Rock Lake park but not on the water like Winfrey Point is.

Becky Twigg, nic n blurry. I seem to recall she was off form that year from working hard in school.

Cindy Olavarri in the 7-Eleven kit.

More ladies I don't know. This was March 85 so who was the '84 ladies road champ?
    Last edited by Creakyknees; 01-04-2009 at 11:00 AM.

waterproof*
    Ok fast forward a few years, Richard DeGarmo and crew were still running the "Tour of Texas" but it wasn't quite so big a deal anymore. I think this was 87 or so, maybe even 88, they had a crit at the HQ of one of the big Houston companies - I wanna say Brown and Root. Just a flat wide open loop around the ring road.

So we're walking along, and here's this dude standing there talking with a couple guys. We wander up and say hi and the little clock in my head goes 3-2-1- DING!

I'm standing next to Olympic Road Champion Alexi Grewal, who turned out to be a pretty cool dude to hang with and watch the race.

waterproof*
    And that's all for now. Got an early ride in the morning.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    I remember DBRC, Brant, Cresap, Busey and some of the TRC guys("froggy" but I can't remember his real name). I raced for A&M, Piney Woods and Athens Bike Barn back in the day, then moved to Houaton. I raced until 91.

I've seen a pic of your Schneider cross bike. I've known Hans since the 70's and ride a Schneider too. Great bike. I'm planning on another one later this year.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by steelbikerider
    I remember DBRC, Brant, Cresap, Busey and some of the TRC guys("froggy" but I can't remember his real name)...
    Somewhere I have my TRC phone list packed away, I don't know why I didn't toss it. I still have a couple of the neon skin suits too. Thank gawd they don't fit or I'd have to wear them.

Chris Hipp, Rob O (Oltrazewki? I could barely say it much less spell it) and Tom Hauk used to let me tag along for the abuse on training rides until I moved in '91.

What the Hell is going on
    Hmmmmmm . . . more Rebecca Twigg pics. Even the blurry one has my heart atwitter.

Thanks Creaky.
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

waterproof*
    Quote Originally Posted by TWB8s
    Somewhere I have my TRC phone list packed away, I don't know why I didn't toss it. I still have a couple of the neon skin suits too. Thank gawd they don't fit or I'd have to wear them.

Chris Hipp, Rob O (Oltrazewki? I could barely say it much less spell it) and Tom Hauk used to let me tag along for the abuse on training rides until I moved in '91.

Yeah we knew Hipp and his brother (Mike?) when he was just a snot-nosed 4. Then I went away to college and come back a few years later and he's the king stud of Texas racing. I was like "you're pulling my leg."

I still have an old orange and yellow wool TRC / University Cycle jersey in my closet. I can't wear it b/c of the huge hole from a crash, but I can't get rid of it either.

I saw Greg Kagay and his partner wearing them at Tour de Gruene a couple of years back.

Twinkies rule!!!
    Awesome pics!!!

Anyone have any shots of the cantilever equipped bike Fignon rode in a few stages of the '89 Tour?
    Truly a wealth of useless information.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    All three pics are from 1989 -thats the link! Bauer wins at GP Zurich, Theunisse at the Tour and Lemond at worlds in Chambery. I guess, all three could also be pretty close together geographically.

Takmanjapan

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by takmanjapan
    All three pics are from 1989 -thats the link! Bauer wins at GP Zurich, Theunisse at the Tour and Lemond at worlds in Chambery. I guess, all three could also be pretty close together geographically.

Takmanjapan
    Question was "Other than the year...." But also was answered on Page 1

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaloni
    Awesome pics!!!

Anyone have any shots of the cantilever equipped bike Fignon rode in a few stages of the '89 Tour?
    Don't remember that. Are you sure it was 89 Tour?

RoadBikeReview Member
    More '89
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 80's racing pix-resize-giro-89-criquielion.jpg   80's racing pix-resize-giro-89-fondriest.jpg   80's racing pix-resize-giro-ditalia-89-cippolini.jpg   80's racing pix-resize-perrier-89-kelly.jpg   80's racing pix-resize-tour-de-france-89-lemond.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Marianne Berglund. I met her at Interbike in Long Beach back in the '80's. Now she was HOT!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006

And just to prove my point.

Found this.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Twinkies rule!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimobici
    Don't remember that. Are you sure it was 89 Tour?
    Pretty sure but I couldn't swear to it. IIRC, Fignon felt the cantis provided better braking which allowed him to descend faster with more confidence.
    Truly a wealth of useless information.

waterproof*
    bump, because of the LA Olympic thread.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post
    ok now the men.

Jeff Bradley.

I think that is Richard Scibird

We have met the enemy...
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post
    ok now the men.

Roy Knickman warming up and I don't know the other guy. For some reason I think he's Canadian?

Is Roy Knickman closest to the camera or behind? If he is the behind guy, the front rider could be Ron Hayman, who was Canadian and was sponsored for a time by TI-Raleigh...

The Canadian in the early shot (with the arm-warmers and specs) could be Gordon Singleton....
    "There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."
    John Rogers

What the Hell is going on
    Good bump. Still have a mad crush on Becky Twigg. Thanks for the memories.
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

Cheese is my copilot
    Heard a good interview with Davis Phinney on The Outspokin' Cyclist a few weeks back, talking about his foundation. He was brilliant. Made me happy.
    Life is better in the big ring.

http://theclemencyblog.blogspot.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12