RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004

83 vintage saddles

I'll be building up a frame from 83. What were the typical "racing" saddles of the day. While I'm at it bars and rims.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mackgoo View Post
    I'll be building up a frame from 83. What were the typical "racing" saddles of the day. While I'm at it bars and rims.
    I am going to say Selle Italia Turbo, Selle San Marco Rolls and Regal, then for Bars Cinelli 66 or 64 with X/A or 1A stems. Rims Mavic MA40, GP4 and GEL 330. Also Campy Omega and Montreal and Ambosio Elites.

a real member's member
    selle is a good place to start, and they make a "1980 vintage" model.

i put cinelli 64-38 bars on all my '70s and '80s bikes.

i use sun m13ii rims with sapim spokes and vintage campy or ofmega hubs. there's nothing like a new wheel build for your vintage bike, and sun rims are a great value. these clinchers come in 32h and 36h, in either black or polished. the labels can also be easily removed if you don't like them. (i remove half with a razor blade -- the "m13ii" part, and leave the "sun" part.)

velobase is a good resource, and you can search components by decade, manufacturer, and country.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks guys.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    While the Suns are great, although I prefer their Assault model, they won't be vintage. There should still be some Mavic MA40, MA2 clincher rims and GL330, GP4 tub rims out there. Ambroio, FIRs and Campy may be harder to find.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GKSki View Post
    While the Suns are great, although I prefer their Assault model, they won't be vintage. There should still be some Mavic MA40, MA2 clincher rims and GL330, GP4 tub rims out there. Ambroio, FIRs and Campy may be harder to find.
    It should be pretty easy to find solid complete wheels for some good prices. I've got plenty of wheel sets for freewheels hanging in my basement that I'd rather keep than sell for what I'd get for them, and I'm sure that there are plenty cyclists that would be happy to unload theirs. Spare wheels that have seen little use.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    The Selle San Marco Concor was popular in the day. It's in production these days which may or may not suit you.

https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-s...FU9nAQodVu4Crw
    Too old to ride plastic

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    There is a Bernard Hinault labelled version of the Selle Italia Turbo - need I say more?

Iím not sure when the MA40 (just a guess but I say mid 80ís) came out but I see the Mavic G40 on the older, early 80ís bikes more frequently.

Cinelli 64-40 (40 denotes c-c width) is my all around favorite bar. The 66 model (Campione del Mundo) have deeper drops and the 65 model (Crieterium has a shorter curved top. 3T were also around commonly in the 80ís.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by GKSki View Post
    While the Suns are great, although I prefer their Assault model, they won't be vintage.
    no, not vintage, but brand new with a classic look.

... a world apart from bonafide "vintage" sun rims with thousands of miles on them.

i do like the mavic ma2 label, though. so, i would only prefer n.o.s. ma2's over new sun rims unless i knew exactly what their history was and could spin them in the frame or in a stand before purchase.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

Russian Troll Farmer
    I do remember there being a lot of @$$-hatchet saddles from that time. Add to that 19mm wide tires pumped up to 120 psig, and you had one heck of a ride!
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Now I remember, there were 3ttt Competizione bars back then I think the quill that they went with was a Model 84. They were both very close to the Cinelli offerings. Not having quite as big of a market share, ITM also had similar bars and quill stems back then.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Go with the beautiful standby... a Regal

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yes to the: 3TTT stems and bars. The Bernard Hinault saddle along with Turbos and Concor. Those Regals were very pretty saddles along with being $$. Mavic MA40's and MA 2's. In those days the Shimano and Campy bits sure were pretty being polished as they were.

Mavic pedals should be somewhere in that time period or so.