RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004

83 vintage saddles

I'll be building up a frame from 83. What were the typical "racing" saddles of the day. While I'm at it bars and rims.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mackgoo View Post
    I'll be building up a frame from 83. What were the typical "racing" saddles of the day. While I'm at it bars and rims.
    I am going to say Selle Italia Turbo, Selle San Marco Rolls and Regal, then for Bars Cinelli 66 or 64 with X/A or 1A stems. Rims Mavic MA40, GP4 and GEL 330. Also Campy Omega and Montreal and Ambosio Elites.

a real member's member
    selle is a good place to start, and they make a "1980 vintage" model.

i put cinelli 64-38 bars on all my '70s and '80s bikes.

i use sun m13ii rims with sapim spokes and vintage campy or ofmega hubs. there's nothing like a new wheel build for your vintage bike, and sun rims are a great value. these clinchers come in 32h and 36h, in either black or polished. the labels can also be easily removed if you don't like them. (i remove half with a razor blade -- the "m13ii" part, and leave the "sun" part.)

velobase is a good resource, and you can search components by decade, manufacturer, and country.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks guys.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    While the Suns are great, although I prefer their Assault model, they won't be vintage. There should still be some Mavic MA40, MA2 clincher rims and GL330, GP4 tub rims out there. Ambroio, FIRs and Campy may be harder to find.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GKSki View Post
    While the Suns are great, although I prefer their Assault model, they won't be vintage. There should still be some Mavic MA40, MA2 clincher rims and GL330, GP4 tub rims out there. Ambroio, FIRs and Campy may be harder to find.
    It should be pretty easy to find solid complete wheels for some good prices. I've got plenty of wheel sets for freewheels hanging in my basement that I'd rather keep than sell for what I'd get for them, and I'm sure that there are plenty cyclists that would be happy to unload theirs. Spare wheels that have seen little use.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    The Selle San Marco Concor was popular in the day. It's in production these days which may or may not suit you.

https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-s...FU9nAQodVu4Crw
    Too old to ride plastic

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    There is a Bernard Hinault labelled version of the Selle Italia Turbo - need I say more?

Iím not sure when the MA40 (just a guess but I say mid 80ís) came out but I see the Mavic G40 on the older, early 80ís bikes more frequently.

Cinelli 64-40 (40 denotes c-c width) is my all around favorite bar. The 66 model (Campione del Mundo) have deeper drops and the 65 model (Crieterium has a shorter curved top. 3T were also around commonly in the 80ís.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by GKSki View Post
    While the Suns are great, although I prefer their Assault model, they won't be vintage.
    no, not vintage, but brand new with a classic look.

... a world apart from bonafide "vintage" sun rims with thousands of miles on them.

i do like the mavic ma2 label, though. so, i would only prefer n.o.s. ma2's over new sun rims unless i knew exactly what their history was and could spin them in the frame or in a stand before purchase.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

Russian Troll Farmer
    I do remember there being a lot of @$$-hatchet saddles from that time. Add to that 19mm wide tires pumped up to 120 psig, and you had one heck of a ride!
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Now I remember, there were 3ttt Competizione bars back then I think the quill that they went with was a Model 84. They were both very close to the Cinelli offerings. Not having quite as big of a market share, ITM also had similar bars and quill stems back then.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Go with the beautiful standby... a Regal

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yes to the: 3TTT stems and bars. The Bernard Hinault saddle along with Turbos and Concor. Those Regals were very pretty saddles along with being $$. Mavic MA40's and MA 2's. In those days the Shimano and Campy bits sure were pretty being polished as they were.

Mavic pedals should be somewhere in that time period or so.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    The Selle San Marco Concor was popular in the day. It's in production these days which may or may not suit you.

https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-s...FU9nAQodVu4Crw
    Back in the day, I raced on the Concor. So when the time came to build my old bikes back up, that is the saddle that I used. Mine are all NOS examples but you can get the re-makes today I believe. I also rode more than a few Turbos in my day before settling on the Flite in the early '90s.

83 vintage saddles-xlarge.jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 83 vintage saddles-xlarge.jpg  
    Last edited by Quattro_Assi_07; 07-23-2018 at 12:38 PM.
    San Antonio, Texas

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    WOW, love those Miyata's. I had a 1981 912 with Shimano 600. My first "real" bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yeah, I have a soft spot for '80s Miyatas. Those two blue ones are both '82s, the Pro in the middle was the first real bike I purchased. Back then it had Dura Ace EX. I moved that group over to the '82 Team and built up the Pro with a full AX group. I have a couple more Miyata frames, another Team from '83, Team track frame from'83, and an '90 Team that was built up with 9 speed Dura Ace along with DA EX stem and seat post. The '90 with the Dura Ace is a wonderful riding frame.

Last edited by Quattro_Assi_07; 07-25-2018 at 12:21 PM.
    San Antonio, Texas

RoadBikeReview Member
    Beautiful bikes! Thanks for sharing pics of them!!

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quattro_Assi_07 View Post
    wow. never seen a univega/miyata with a fastback seat cluster like that. pretty cool.

my '80 windsor was similar.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    wow. never seen a univega/miyata with a fastback seat cluster like that. pretty cool.

my '80 windsor was similar.

Yes, that frame was made by Miyata and went on to be made as the '86 Miyata Pro.

San Antonio, Texas

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Quattro, I see you have one with a white Flite Ti. Used to have one like that. Great saddle.

Right now I have a thread over in Components Wrenching regarding when a Flite Ti is level. Care to give your $.02 over there as a Flite user?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    I started racing in the early 80's. Mavic Ma40 clincher for training. GP4's Tubulars for racing. Victoria CX tires. Most often used Cinelli stems which seemed to be more the standard. The 3T's were known to be hard to fit. Clipless pedals were just coming on, and had a pair of rebranded Mavic clipless. The gray ones. Pretty sure the paid Look a royalty.
    I was lucky enough to score a Mavic SSC group. A lot of riders swapped out the Campy shifters for the Simplex Retrofriction with the cutout. Way smoother and the bolt didn't loosen like Campys causing the cable to slack at the worst time, like on a climb.