Thread: Another LeMond

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2017

Another LeMond

Figured I'd show y'all my latest build. Sick of riding aluminum and too cheap for carbon, so I decided to build myself an '01 LeMond Zurich built with butted 853 steel.

Right now its a hodgepodge of parts from my parts bin plus some 2nd hand stuff, but it's getting there. Decided to stick with a super tight budget... so far I'm into it for $600 out of pocket excluding the 105 shifters and RD which I had on the shelf.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another LeMond-img_4139.jpg   Another LeMond-img_4365.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Based on my '98 I would bet you are happy with the ride.

a real member's member
    if you're going to describe a new lemond, 'another' is a great way to start.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Easyup View Post
    Based on my '98 I would bet you are happy with the ride.
    Really does ride like a dream. So far I've put maybe a couple hundred miles on it and every time I ride it, it just puts a smile on my face for the rest of the day. The 853 steel is so smooth on its own, but when you pair it with the carbon fork, post and cranks, the ride is indescribably good.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    if you're going to describe a new lemond, 'another' is a great way to start.
    Yeah i hear ya on that. Really nothing special about this build at all, especially compared to some of the beautiful vintage builds here. I just tried to put together a quality steel ride that just flat out performs - on a budget. And it sure does perform. It's a good deal under 18lbs and with fresh bearings it just spins effortlessly.

The black stem/bars and spacers gotta go, I think it needs more natural aluminum. But the bars are so comfy I can't stand to lose them. So I've been considering stripping the anodizing and seeing how the bare shot peened aluminum looks. Since that pic I've replaced the black 105 dual pivot calipers with old school natural aluminum cane creek single pivots. They look sweet and with the salmon pads they stop really well, probably better than the 105's with their old pads.
    Last edited by RobotGuy; 03-19-2017 at 06:49 AM.

a real member's member
    tough call on deanodizing the bars, etc.

there's so much black already, and those rims are really busy looking. if it were just the crankset and seatpost that were black, i'd quickly deanodize and polish 'em.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2014
    Crystal draino works great for deanodizing stuff btw

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Those were well made bikes. I guess his falling out with Trek via Lance ended it. Lemond started a new bike company recently, but it seemed to fade away. High end carbon. He should go back to making nice steel bikes. There's an emerging market for that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    So uhhhh, what is the lemond leaning on in the first picture? I was looking for a Zurich when I found my Buenos Aires. It's a great frame that will perform without drama.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    Click here to edit signature.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfaas View Post
    So uhhhh, what is the lemond leaning on in the first picture? I was looking for a Zurich when I found my Buenos Aires. It's a great frame that will perform without drama.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    I was lookin' and wondering too. My thought is it's a Plymouth Roadrunner.
    Too old to ride plastic