RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012

Question Apollo Gran Tour Twelve Speed--$70?

I'm a recreational/commuter rider in the market for a lighter bike. I made the mistake of buying a Murray road bike a year ago (never having heard of it since I'm from a different region and not knowing it wouldn't be worth the two hundred dollars I put into it). At this point, the bike is falling apart faster than I can fix it, and I'm tired of wasting my money.

That being said, I want a new bike but am on a budget. I found this bike on craigslist:

And thought it was too good to be true.

It's a Ross Apollo Gran Tour twelve speed, and it's seventy dollars. How good of a bike is this? Is it worth the money being asked for it? I can't find much online about this specific model, so I thought there might be someone on here with some personal experience. Thank you!

RoadBikeReview Member
    You can find something better. If your looking for something lighter, you'll need to find a bike that is made with lighter tubing. At the $75-$100 price range I would be looking at Fuji,Trek,Univega to name a few. Kind of a rule of thumb is to stay away from any stem mounted shifters, foam bar wrap, steel rims and so on. The big thing is to buy a bike that fits.

Did a quick CL search. Kind of like this:

univega nuovo sport 18 speed

Or even better! Miele men's 14 speed CHEAP! I will deliver!
    Last edited by High Gear; 05-05-2012 at 02:18 PM.
    Can't chrome carbon.
    Yes, you can call me a slightly opinionated retrogrouch.

"Keep your eyes on the road and your hands upon the bars"

RoadBikeReview Member
    How much are you comfortable spending? That helps us make suggestions.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    I'm looking to spend up to $120.

Unlabeled
    Quote Originally Posted by shaylapr View Post
    I'm looking to spend up to $120.
    Where do you live? I have a Panasonic DX 2000, double butted Chrome moly frame, forged dropouts, upgraded to 7 speed index shifting that my son has outgrown. It is about the same size as the bike pictured. I'd sell it for $100 but don't want to ship it. I'm near St. Louis.

Definitely add Panasonic to your list of brands. Panasonic also made some nice bikes for Schwinn.

Look for bikes with double butted chrome moly frames, forged dropouts, and aluminum rims. After that it's all about condition. Depending on where you live, you may need to up your budget.

I'd avoid the Apollo Gran Tour
    Lugged Steel Treks

RoadBikeReview Member
    To their credit, Ross did make some very nice road bikes in the 1980s. The Ross Mt. Whitney in the early 1980s was also a very nice mountain bike. This bike, though, is just standard fare for recreational riders looking for something to ride around the neighborhood. Not bad if you can ride it like it is without spending anything on it, until something better comes along. Something better might be a 1980s Japanese road bike, or even a Schwinn from the eighties, since they were also very good. You could also take a look at hybrid style bikes from the early nineties, since they can provide good value. Try to find something with butted chrome molybdenum frame tubing, alloy rims, and decent components. Stem mounted shifters and safety levers attached to the brakes indicate an entry-level type bike. Build quality is a separate issue, since they can still be good, serviceable bikes that are well made. Whatever you do, make sure the bike is the correct fit for you. If it is the wrong size for you, it is the wrong bike for you. You can find plenty of information on bike fitting through online searches.