RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011

Bottecchia rescue/resto

My buddy has had this hanging in his shed and I always tell him how wrong it is to let this bike just rust away. He finally says just take it! Maybe too late but will try to at least get it out on the road again. Took a pic before going to work on this poor guy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    That's an old on there. How bad is the rust inside?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Inside is clean, worst is pitting on chromed lugs. Been hanging in his shed for over 20yrs+. Derailleurs (Suntour rear and campy front) pretty shot, hubs(campy) spin nice, rear has 5 sp cassette, tires hard as concrete and split. Carneilli stem rough but useable and may clean up nice. Campy downtube shifters in good shape. Will post some more pics.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Poor frame. Glad it is in your hands for a make-over and back into life. Keep us posted.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Some components from the bike I'm thinking of using. The stem is kind of beat up but definitely usable with the carnielli panto. Downtube shifters are smooth and cable router is in good shape. The crank has this greenish corrosion but no pitting and the teeth are good.

Pretty much just brushed the stuff off, is there any chemical cleaners that will clean up the surface? Not looking for a perfect restore just want to get it in decent rideable shape.

Wheels, brakes and derailleurs are very corroded so I'm going the ebay route for some campy replacements. Original was 5 speed but don't know much about the older campy stuff. Any reason to consider staying 5 speed? There are some good deals on 7 and 8 speed stuff.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Was getting some bodywork done on my van and asked the shop guy to sand blast and paint the frame if it looked ok after blasting. Told me to look thru some paint left over from some other jobs and that part would be free. They charged me $60 to sand blast and paint was free. Came out pretty nice!

Bottom brackett and head set to be replaced so it was easier to keep those on for the job.

Will use the original stem and seat post but undecided on dt shifters or ergo. Will post some more pics as the build progresses.

Fecal indicator
    big improvement...

I would have ground off the eyelets...unless you plan on running fenders...
    eff all y'all...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    big improvement...

I would have ground off the eyelets...unless you plan on running fenders...
    You're right! This frame was so rusted I didn't even notice until after the paint. My buddy used it as a touring bike and ran fenders back in the day(1970's)-bike ran up and down the east coast from FL to PA at least twice.

Probably just keep it the way it is for now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Great that you brought it back to life. I personally would have stuck to one color for the repaint. That fade scheme looks too much like an 80s paint job. That blue is very similar to the Miyata team blue that I am a very big fan of. Enjoy it in good health!
    San Antonio, Texas

RoadBikeReview Member
    Did you have it painted with the headset and bottom bracket installed?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Did you have it painted with the headset and bottom bracket installed?
    No, the old set got painted and will be replaced with NOS campy. Most of the components were shot and badly corroded. My goal is a cool retro rider from an abandoned rusty bike left to degenerate in a shed. Not interested in a period correct build but will keep it campy. The dilemma for me is DT vs ergo, got both of those on the shelf ready to go.

So far the original components I'm using are crank set, stem and seat post as these were salvageable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Turns out the BB and headset were not bad. Both had loose ball bearings and the axle was clean. Spent a couple of bucks on some new ball bearings and BB and head set are tight and smooth. Put a Cinelli Giro bar and old serfas saddle along with original cranks.

The wheels were pretty much shot so I picked up these Ambrosio Gentleman set off ebay for cheap. Waiting for a cassette.

Some of the builds on this forum are stunning and this bike will never be in that condition but hoping for a fun rideable result. Has been a great learning experience so far

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    As she sits now - just need chain and pedals. Trying to figure out the rear derailleur cable routing, does not seem right but is moving thru the range. Might take it to the LBS as I will not ride it like this.

The frame had center pull brakes and the campy options from my searching were not available. Got a good deal on NOS Dura Ace and went with these but used campy levers. Decals from an online source went on nicely.

As I said before, something is not right with this routing and haven't figured it out yet.

Will post some more pics when chain is on and I figure out the routing of the RD

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    that looks good!

any worries about chipping the paint should you ever need to remove the BB or headset?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    i will say that i wish the downtube decal had "Bottechia" in white, like the seat tube decal. but i'm just picking at nits.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well done! The rear derailleur cable is too long. Once you set up the correct chain you'll have a better idea how much cable to cut.
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by charlox5 View Post
    i will say that i wish the downtube decal had "Bottechia" in white, like the seat tube decal. but i'm just picking at nits.
    I agree! This was the standard script colors of the online supplier. I will probably get another set in white as they are not expensive and they are over the paint, no clear coat over decals.

I have a campy BB and headset but the drive side BB part was seized and just cleaned out the race and replaced the loose ball bearings. If I like the ride I will probably swap out the BB and head set. So far I'm liking this bike and it's my size

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    be careful when you remove the bottom bracket when you do replace it. once the paint is fully cured, removing the bb may flake up the paint around the bb shell. i would take a razor blade to it before removing the old BB.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JaeP View Post
    Well done! The rear derailleur cable is too long. Once you set up the correct chain you'll have a better idea how much cable to cut.
    That and you need a ferrule at both ends to keep the casing from compressing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by charlox5 View Post
    be careful when you remove the bottom bracket when you do replace it. once the paint is fully cured, removing the bb may flake up the paint around the bb shell. i would take a razor blade to it before removing the old BB.
    Did the razor blade cut before I tried to remove BB and head set. Thing that amazed me is how well the head set an BB spins with new ball bearings and fresh grease! The older systems are a PITA but cheap to rebuild.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by zmudshark View Post
    That and you need a ferrule at both ends to keep the casing from compressing.
    This is true! Need to find the smaller ferrel that fits the Nuevo Record RD as well as the chain stay cable guide.

Sources?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BacDoc View Post
    Did the razor blade cut before I tried to remove BB and head set. Thing that amazed me is how well the head set an BB spins with new ball bearings and fresh grease! The older systems are a PITA but cheap to rebuild.
    ah cool.

i thought about rebuilding the original BB on my bianchi when the fixed cup refused to come out, but with enough leverage, it eventually came off

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Figured out the RD routing and put some MTB pedals for a quick spin to see if it would shift and brake and basically not fail under weight/pedaling pressures. Used a Jagwire ferrelI that fit thru the cable stop with some engineering. I guess steel is real because I mashed em pretty hard, jammed the brakes and rode over some cobbles and this old bike handled beautifully!
    Haven't used DT shifters so I wanted to get the feel of the bike before going clipless. Only rode a couple of miles but passed the test.

1st Gen Honda Civic
    It's amazing how you transformed that ugly frame hanging in the rafters to this current beauty!! She looks awsome. I'm curious to know if your friend that gave it to you has seen it!
    *1988 Colnago Master Piu
    *1993 Tommasini Tecno EL-OS
    *2005 Colnago Dream
    *2007 Colnago C50 WX07