We have met the enemy...

Campy Campa Campagnolo Syncro DT shifters

Someone (I hope) was paying attention while I was not.

From what I have seen there are at least 2 versions of Campy DT indexed shifters. By report, the first ones were fairly awful (Synchro 1: 198x), in part because Campy attempted to make them backwards compatible with different rear mechs. (These were 6/7 speeds I think?)

Second version (Synchro 2: 1987): Again by report these were better, and would shift 6, 7 or (?) 8 speed, depending on a replaceable colored component in the lever.

Colored inserts decoded Record (Summer 1988)

Synchro explained: Tears for Gears

1991: Synchro 2 true 8 speed capability explained on Tears for Gears

He goes on to add that these were revised again in 1995 (dropping friction shifting) and were redesigned internally. Then he says

"Campagnolo discontinued downtube shifters altogether in 2001, but the same design is used for the 10 speed bar end shifters today. If you wanted 10 speed indexed shifters, you'd just need a set of stops, and a set of the bar end shifters, or a set of the 95+ shifters, and a 10 speed indexing collar."

Now for the question part.

Has anyone used the 8 speed DT Synchro 2 shifters? Indexed or friction?

Do the later versions work well enough to be a decent substitute for brifters?

Has anyone tried using the last revision (1995) and tried to shift 10 speed systems by using the collar from barcons as he suggests?

Inquiring minds want to know..
    "When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking."

(Sir) Arthur Conan Doyle. Scientific American, January 18, 1896

duh...
    yes, yes, yes...

there are threads on here about the conversion. I've gone to 9, others have done 10. one type can be done, depends on if the shift ring is on the inside or outside. if you useing barcons you''' need to find the stop, round alu piece w/ square hole and 'ear'

Quote Originally Posted by mikagsd
    Fat tire Fred....you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid

RoadBikeReview Member
    Has anyone used the 8 speed DT Synchro 2 shifters? Indexed or friction?
    Yes, the later version was a redesign and they work very well. I wish current levers were as positive in indexing. Both directions too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yep I did it.

We have met the enemy...
    So now the trick will be finding the bits...

This all started because I thought it would be great to do a retro build, use 10spd wheels I have, dt shifters and aero brake levers & from a distance it will look truly retro.
    "When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking."

(Sir) Arthur Conan Doyle. Scientific American, January 18, 1896