RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008

Cinelli 1A expander bolt problem...

This is a follow-up to this thread...

I bought some new handlebars to replace the ones I crashed, they finally got here and I went to put them on the bike. The expander bolt (right term? the bolt that clamps the stem onto the bars) was stuck so I squirted a bunch of wd-40 in there and let it sit for a couple days. I tried turning it tonight and it turned with some resistance but nothing terrible (I was worried about stripping the allen wrench "threads" so I didn't torque on it too hard). After a couple of turns, I heard a "pop" and it suddenly became somewhat easier to turn...kept turning it until it came out and I think I broke the bolt.

Here's a couple pictures, they're not great but my house is dark and it's hard to get good shots of small stuff with my camera.

Here's the part with allen threads. It's about 1/4" long and this is a side view showing the crack that I don't think should be there...

Here's the best shot of the hole the above bolt came out of. I think I can see the end of the screw surrounded by the rest of the bolt that broke (shiny new metal around the screw instead of the old metal exposed everywhere else)

So...am I correct in thinking that the bolt broke? And is there anything to do to fix it? I did a quick google to see if there are any replacement bolts available anywhere and found some for the XA stems but not the 1A... is it back to the ebay for a new stem or is there some trick to replacing the bolt with something else (assuming I can get the remnants of the old bolt out)? At the moment, I don't really care if it's cosmetically perfect. (I really want to ride this bike, the weather in Albuquerque's finally getting nice and I'm stuck on my crappy mtn bike/commuter...)

Thanks for any help/suggestions

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    You can soak the broken part left in stem some more. Than drill a hole in it so you can get an easy out in the hole and than hopefully twist it out. Or you can take it to a machine shop an they will do it, maybe cheap and maybe not. You may have to buy a replacement from ebay, there is plenty there. Your next bolt you should use some anti- seize on the threads.
    Just buy a new Cinelli XA

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    Now that it's broken you should be able to knock that side out with a hammer and a punch.

Since you are in Alb there is a little shop called "Bicyclist" on the corner of Wellelsy and Silver.
    Dennis the owner sells only old stuff so he should have lots of 1A stems and parts.

Good luck!
    Robb

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks. I'm pretty sure the stem hasn't been out of the bike in awhile...if ever, lots of dirt and sand(!!!) inside the tube and the grease on the stem had hardened in places.

Got the bars out but can't seem to hammer the rest out...it's in the freezer for a bit to see if the cold shrinks/loosens it any. Beyond that, it's going to a guy at work who offered to drill it out for me (I don't have a vice or the right drill bit).

I may try and find a bolt at home depot or the like that I can stick in there and tighten and see if it rides ok like that for awhile (I know that's probably not recommended, but just until I find another stem with the same reach)