old school drop out

Cinelli Grammo piece

I have a Cinelli Grammo quill stem that's missing the cover over the quill bolt. The shape is a bit odd (see below).

Any idea where I might be able to come up with one of these? Or any good idea on some material that I could use to plug the hole that wouldn't look terrible? (I'm thinking about some sort of thick rubber that I could cut to shape to form a plug.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cinelli Grammo piece-img_4434.jpg  
    Last edited by laffeaux; 12-10-2009 at 08:05 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    try this guy in the netherlands. 'mario's cycling parts shop' on ebay. if your in melbourne, australia try john kennedy cycle fit, just moved next to the melbourne aquatic centre

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    Cork? What about getting someone to carve one out of an exotic harwood? Maybe even inlay an artificial ruby or maybe a peice of turquiose! I had one of those stems yeas ago, and I spent several hours grinding down and sanding the welds, then polishing the whole thing. It was beautiful when I was done, it shined like chrome.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclust
    What about getting someone to carve one out of an exotic harwood?
    This is what I would do and the OP could do it himself. It would look totally unique.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

hello
    I used to have stem too.
    As mentioned, I would go the hardwood route on that. It wood look classy ...
    SurlySteamrollerLitespeedClassicBianchiPista
    DeanColonelSurlyLongHaulTruckerKonaKu
    LitespeedFirenzeCinelliOlympic

old school drop out
    Thanks guys. I e-mailed Mario's. If I can't find a replacement, I like the idea of a wooden plug.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    I like the idea of a wooden plug.
    Some places specialize in exotic, very showy woods for things like gun, knife and musical instrument makers. They might have a small offcut for you. When sanded and polished the grains are exceptional.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

Lost in translation
    My Merlin Extralight has this quill stem. The rubber plug falls out frequently - not while riding - when I accidentally brush up against it. It's only a matter of time before I lose it permanently and go the wood cap route.

old school drop out
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T.
    Some places specialize in exotic, very showy woods for things like gun, knife and musical instrument makers. They might have a small offcut for you. When sanded and polished the grains are exceptional.
    A riding buddy of mine makes custom furniture. I'm sure that he'd have several nice options to chose from.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    I have a couple of those stems....both lost the factory plug. I bought some black rubber stoppers at my hardware store, got out my trusty dremel tool with a sanding drum on it and carved plugs to fit. Not quite as nice as the factory, but better than nothing.