Thread: Cinelli Laser

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009

Cinelli Laser

Here's one of my dream, unobtanium, if-I-win-the-lottery bikes, behold the Cinelli Laser:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/CINELLI-RARE-...item27b6c42597

Just can't get over the beauty of the aero "webbing" at the major joints

Name:  cinelli laser ebay 3.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  12.7 KB

I wondered how Cinelli made that. Did they get a Venetian glass blower to sculpt those gorgeous forms out of molten titanium?

And then I found these pics from columbusmaxbikes.com where a Laser is being built up. That wouldn't be a Bondo-like body filler would it? I feel like a Philistine for even suggesting it, but it is lightweight.

Does anyone know how these 'aero curves' were made back in the day?

Name:  ronny 4.jpg
Views: 929
Size:  20.0 KB

Name:  ronny 3.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  20.1 KB

banned
    that would be awesome with riser bars and a top tube pad.

Larry Lackapants
    Quote Originally Posted by VeloCruzer
    Just can't get over the beauty of the aero "webbing" at the major joints

I wondered how Cinelli made that. Did they get a Venetian glass blower to sculpt those gorgeous forms out of molten titanium?

And then I found these pics from columbusmaxbikes.com where a Laser is being built up. That wouldn't be a Bondo-like body filler would it? I feel like a Philistine for even suggesting it, but it is lightweight.

Does anyone know how these 'aero curves' were made back in the day?
    Well it's only a presumption but I don't think they used filler for the whole curved part.
    I guess the frame is fillet brazed (umm - is it?) like any normal fillet brazed frame. Then the curves made out of sheet metal of the same material as the frame, and brazed over the finished frame..
    Or not

I just guess that any kind of filler would be a boat anchor, since it'd be metal..
    Anyway a stunning frame...
    "There are only 3 motivating factors that change human behavior; pain, fear or ambition. Which button do you want to press?" Steve Hogg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Looking at the seat cluster you can see brass and 2 other filler colours but looking at the head tube there are 3 different filler colours (white,grey and yellow) it would have been a very labour intensive process. What colour was bondo (bog) in Italy ?

RoadBikeReview Member
    FWIW, They are making a reissue Laser in a pista style.

Probably a year too late.

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Here is the track version... and as Zmud said, they have re-issued this version

http://www.velorama.fr/?page_id=986
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member

yes, yes it would.

Quote Originally Posted by buck-50
    that would be awesome with riser bars and a top tube pad.

It blows my mind how 80s TT bikes have caught on with some of the fixed gear yahoos. I guess there is some appeal in taking a bike built for a very specific purpose and then using it to roll around LA or SF in jeans at 10 mph. In the dark netherworlds of this cycling niche it really is just a game of trying to outdo the other guy in the game of form over function. Taking raceable track bikes to the streets just isn't unique enough anymore; now you need a TT bike with a 650 front wheel...and risers.

I'm sure there is an academic theory about taking an object and using it for a purpose it was not designed or built to be used for. It's just weird for me to see it happening in the cycling world.
    Last edited by nayr497; 11-25-2010 at 05:51 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    The French have a word for it - Poseur

Translated into Australian by the local cyclists here - Wanker

Quote Originally Posted by nayr497

It blows my mind how 80s TT bikes have caught on with some of the fixed gear yahoos....

I'm sure there is an academic theory about taking an object and using it for a purpose it was not designed or built to be used for. It's just weird for me to see it happening in the cycling world.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    Old time trial bikes?? It's a discfunctional piece of steel ffs, let them have at it (just don't dare touch the braze-ons!!) Also, it's not like all of those bikes were of the Laser class...

I run one (koga) with gears and a pair of risers with oury grips love it.

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Carabo
    Old time trial bikes?? It's a discfunctional piece of steel ffs, let them have at it (just don't dare touch the braze-ons!!) Also, it's not like all of those bikes were of the Laser class...

I run one (koga) with gears and a pair of risers with oury grips love it.

+1....I've seen more 650/700 TT bikes on the road since the fixie kids started riding them with riser bars......let 'em do it...I'd rather see them being ridden instead of being stored in someones basement or garage
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hickey
    +1....I've seen more 650/700 TT bikes on the road since the fixie kids started riding them with riser bars......let 'em do it...I'd rather see them being ridden instead of being stored in someones basement or garage
    Like Dave says, we get a lot of "wanker" kids in our shop doing all kinds of weird things to both vintage and "off-the-rack" tig-welded POS's. But, dammit, they're riding the stuff and they're learning to appreciate bicycles (something other than BMX - although that's OK too).

I've seen a lot of kids who started out with a "cheap" fixie now scouring Craigslist for decent steel road bikes or coming into our shop looking at the "modern" stuff. In my opinion, it's all good. These kids are riding, learning, appreciating, and getting their butts up off the couch and ditching their video games and becoming "cyclists"!!
    Anyone who believes there are no stupid questions never worked in a bike shop.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by zmudshark
    FWIW, They are making a reissue Laser in a pista style.

Probably a year too late.
    Interesting, are there any photos of this re-issue floating around?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    They are bondo buckets. If you search through the CR archives there's some posts from Brian Baylis about having to re-paint these and dealing with the gobs of body filler.

It would be cool to see a modern builders take on one of these using sheet steel instead. Could be beautiful.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Lots of various Laser, and related, photos in CINELLI ONLY, www.cinellionly.blogspot.com

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by merckxman
    Lots of various Laser, and related, photos in CINELLI ONLY, www.cinellionly.blogspot.com

A few Lasers from my pic archives
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

RoadBikeReview Member
    What makes you guys think the laser has been reissued?

I saw some wicked snaps once of the road bike version, it had modolo kronos brakes one of which was hidden under a housing behind the b/b shell.

I live these bikes.

On your left!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hickey
    ...I'd rather see them being ridden instead of being stored in someones basement or garage
    Hey, you been in my basement Dave??
    Not in the mood?! Mood's a thing for cattle and love play... not fighting.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nayr497

It blows my mind how 80s TT bikes have caught on with some of the fixed gear yahoos. I guess there is some appeal in taking a bike built for a very specific purpose and then using it to roll around LA or SF in jeans at 10 mph. In the dark netherworlds of this cycling niche it really is just a game of trying to outdo the other guy in the game of form over function. Taking raceable track bikes to the streets just isn't unique enough anymore; now you need a TT bike with a 650 front wheel...and risers.

"That would look awesome with Riser bars" is pretty much the same as "does trek make good bikes?"