RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011

CL Find - Louison Bobet

Found this on CL, no affiliation, tried a search on this forum and found Louison's name in a few places, but no pics of the bikes - what do you guys think?

Louison Bobet Touring Bike
    Attached Images Attached Images  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Looks uncannily similar to an "Eddie Merckx" that I donated recently. Mine was a bike boom bike made by Falcon in the UK with a foil head badge with Eddie's face on it and a foil down tube Merckx label. Otherwise it looked about identical to that one. Weighed a ton, literally.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    From what I can research, it most likely has Reynolds 531 tubing rebranded as Luxtube, might keep the weight down to under 28 lbs if those are the alloy rims I think they are.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    I don't know much about this brand but $200 is not alot of money. I pay that much for hockey sticks and they can, and do, brake and I'm left nothing.

I say, go look at it and if you like it, buy it. The frame may well be worth it as a project.

RoadBikeReview Member

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by davcruz View Post
    Looks uncannily similar to an "Eddie Merckx" that I donated recently. Mine was a bike boom bike made by Falcon in the UK with a foil head badge with Eddie's face on it and a foil down tube Merckx label. Otherwise it looked about identical to that one. Weighed a ton, literally.
    donated!? maaaaaaan where was i?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucson_2011 View Post
    From what I can research, it most likely has Reynolds 531 tubing rebranded as Luxtube, might keep the weight down to under 28 lbs if those are the alloy rims I think they are.
    Yes, so did the Falcon "Merckx", but it was one heavy clunky mofo. Had just about every detail of the one you found, Simplex components, same stem and bars, same Brooks saddle but it had clamp on down tube shifters. I did some research and decided it was a project for someone else to tackle.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Phaseshift View Post
    donated!? maaaaaaan where was i?
    Probably in similar location as you are right now. I know where it is if you want to come to VA to get it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Louison Bobet, jeez, I cant believe it, this guy gave my father an autograph once, had to be in the 70's, he was retired already, I remember my dad talking to him in a Hospital corridor, then he grabbed an envelope my father gave him and signed it, Louison Bobet whoah, did not come a cross that name in Years! ( That was in Starsbourg,France)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Offer him $20, that thing is garbagio.