Lost in translation

Colnago Master Olympic '93 NOS build

Bought this frameset in my size earlier in 2012. Lusted after one at Budget Bicycles in Eagle Rock some twenty years ago, spec'd with Dura Ace with similar componentry. Managed to assemble this over the holidays. It took me several years to accumulate the period-correct parts. (Ahem...we will not discuss the cost. )

In my estimation, this frame saw less than a thousand miles on dry roads. Some small blemishes from parts rub, but definitely no rust or scrapes from a spill. Zero miles on the components, including the somewhat crusty and trusty Continental Grand Prix tires. Note the lack of brake pad contact with the rim.

Installed brake cables but decided to leave the shifter cables off, lest the open road tempts me. I well know how wonderfully these Colnagos ride. (My first attempt at uploading pics on the new website...hope it works.)

Last edited by fast ferd; 12-30-2012 at 06:35 PM. Reason: pics uploading

RoadBikeReview Member

Very nice!

I used to ride with a guy that had a black one back in the mid 90's. In my eyes, one of the best looking frames...ever. My only concern is you will need the 7400 D/A seat post to finish it properly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Colnago Master Olympic '93 NOS build-da-7400.jpg  
    Can't chrome carbon.
    Yes, you can call me a slightly opinionated retrogrouch.

"Keep your eyes on the road and your hands upon the bars"

Lost in translation
    Nice post in your post! You are correct about that, except I think a slightly later one to match the components. I do own a brand new one, along with a 110mm stem with the hidden clamp. Those will go on another build.

RoadBikeReview Member
    beautiful. I have a 600 Ultegra version of that era.

Bill

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    If my brother sees that, he will cry. He rode an identical frame with the identical paint and 8-speed Record, then 9-speed Record, then 10-speed Record, for years, until he was hit by a car and the frame was ruined.

Lost in translation
    It took me YEARS to find this frame. And I got lucky. You can imagine the difficulty, once you factor in model year, size, condition, price, and color.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    That has to be one of my favorite nago paint schemes. Loud and flamboyant pretty much captures the era these are from.