RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005

Columbus Neuron tubing and rust

Has anyone else had problems with Neuron Tubes rusting. Just having my 2nd tube replaced on my 10 year old steel frame. The first one was mostly my error for not wiping off sweat after rides but 2nd one was a surprise. I live close to the TX coast so heat and humidity are the norm but I have had other steel frames and not had this problem. Also teh rust is not in the usual places around braze-ons and such and I don't have "toxic" sweat that kills bikes and parts. Any guesses?

RoadBikeReview Member

Frame Saver?

Quote Originally Posted by steelbikerider
    Has anyone else had problems with Neuron Tubes rusting. Just having my 2nd tube replaced on my 10 year old steel frame. The first one was mostly my error for not wiping off sweat after rides but 2nd one was a surprise. I live close to the TX coast so heat and humidity are the norm but I have had other steel frames and not had this problem. Also teh rust is not in the usual places around braze-ons and such and I don't have "toxic" sweat that kills bikes and parts. Any guesses?
    I live in San Antonio so nowhere near as humid and all of my bikes are stored in my garage. Never had a problem with rust. None have NEURON tubes though.
    San Antonio, Texas

Descender
    Oct 2005
    If it's not too late J.P. Weigle's framesaver would be a good way to slow down the process. Unfortunately you live near salt water with pretty high humidity - probably the environement more than the tube type.

duh...
    2 guesses:
    no framesaver
    toxic sweat

Quote Originally Posted by mikagsd
    Fat tire Fred....you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    tons of framesaver used in initial construction and rebuilds
    never had a problem with toxic sweat - my 20 year guerciotti still has original paint around the cable guides - no other rust problems on the bike - just the Nueron tubes. That is why I was wondering

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    nivacrom as used in neuron tubing has greater corrosion resistance than chrome moly (ex: columbus sl/slx/tsx/brain,etc.) or manganese moly(ex: reynolds 531,etc.). i can't explain why you are having this problem but it would not be directly attributable to the tubing's metallurgy. perhaps the issue is poor surface preparation prior to painting/finishing?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Thanks - the metal properties was what I was wondering about. I doubt that it was surface prep and paint -the paint job was flawless and I will buy again from the same framebuilder. I guess 40 - 50 kmiles and stored in a garage on the Gulf coast for 10 years will take it's toll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    Sounds like poor gas relief during chroming to me. This rusts the tubes from the inside out and makes all of the brazed junctions brittle. Look for corrosion forming in the smaller hollows, like the filed transitions at the stay ends.