RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006

De Rosa neo primato what color molteni or faema

De Rosa neo primato what color molteni or faema-de_rosa_neo_primato.jpg

I'm a bit puzzled after reading here about Merckx and faema colors.

I'm looking at a DeRosa newly made neo primato frame set.

It's the colors i have to decide.

I like it in the molteni orange with the blue down tube panel which was as far as i understand used and ridden by the cannibal, but i also like the faema colors.

Now here is where i get sidetracked was this faema color (white with red panels of red with white panels? original used on a de rosa or was this paint scheme used in his own brand Merckx.

Your thoughts please

old school drop out
    I really like both schemes. However, on a De Rosa I'd lean more toward Molteni as when Eddy road De Rosa frames (starting in '74?) that's the team he was on. None of Eddy's Team Faema bikes would have been made by De Rosa.

However, if you're not concerned about matching the racing heritage, I'd go with the color that you prefer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux View Post
    I really like both schemes. However, on a De Rosa I'd lean more toward Molteni as when Eddy road De Rosa frames (starting in '74?) that's the team he was on. None of Eddy's Team Faema bikes would have been made by De Rosa.

However, if you're not concerned about matching the racing heritage, I'd go with the color that you prefer.
    Well i do care about riding something that never was 'real' so in this case i go for the color scheme from the picture.

One q'n though see this link
    ::: De Rosa ::: Neo PRIMATO
    What can you tell me about this paint scheme where is that based on as faema never was as i understand made on and for a de rosa bike.
    It's now an option though when buying a neo primato new.

old school drop out
    Quote Originally Posted by ba13 View Post
    One q'n though see this link
    ::: De Rosa ::: Neo PRIMATO
    What can you tell me about this paint scheme where is that based on as faema never was as i understand made on and for a de rosa bike.
    It's now an option though when buying a neo primato new.
    There's nothing wrong with painting a De Rosa in a scheme that was never raced by Eddy. It looks good regardless.

However, the red/white that De Rosa lists as Faema is actually the opposite of the Team's color. Faema's colors were white with a red head tube and panels. As in the pic below. De Rosa's frame is red with white panels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    De Rosa himself said he made a few frames for Merckx in his Faema days, I think Colnago did too.

I don't know why De Rosa calls that paint job Faema instead of Reverse Faema, or better yet, actually replicating the Faema colours.

Love that pic of Alberto with the Fierte. Slotted chainstays!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux View Post
    There's nothing wrong with painting a De Rosa in a scheme that was never raced by Eddy. It looks good regardless.

Well it may look good, but it would be just as wrong as to paint a derosa in the colnago saronni colors. It sure looks nice, but it's non original and that's not what i aim for.

So i therefor keep it to the orange and blue, but perhaps the most important q'n is what RAL color is the orange and blue.
    As far as i found on the net the orange is RAL 2004 the blue is not know to me at this moment.

Can anybody help out with this.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    Would tend to agree that a De Rosa should be kept to the original colour scheme in this case Molteni
    Just for interest here's my 1984 Merckx Corsa Faema (Team copy)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails De Rosa neo primato what color molteni or faema-p1300320.jpg  
    Just Ride It !!

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Neo Primato didn't appear well after Merckx's racing career was over, with Faema and Molteni having gone by the wayside even before that. So in a sense, it doesn't really matter all that much how you paint a Neo Primato. You're on a "modern" frame, one way or the other.

Descender
    Oct 2005
    Is that Molteni color new for 2013? Or do you have a seller for that frameset pictured?

That is one good looking color. I have the KAS and it rides great.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    The Molteni colour has been around for many years.

Descender
    Oct 2005
    As far as I know that color has not been offerred on a Neo Primato for at least 6 - 7 years. Not sure when it was before that, further that bike looks new - hence my questions.