Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    bike guy extraordinare

De Rosa Signature Model

I need a shoulder to cry on you guys. I let a De Rosa Signature edition slip through my fingers the other day. On CL and i had the first appointment. Panto'd C-Record, all original the works. Low miles cared for condition. It came with an extra set of wheels. Very rare at only about 350 produced world wide in 1988. 55 to the U.S. Man only asking $1550. Bosslady shut it down. Been tough to move forward. DREAM RIG of ALL Dream Rigs! And rarer than hens teeth. Just need console from fellow enthusiasts.

Anphaque II
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonite View Post
    I need a shoulder to cry on you guys. I let a De Rosa Signature edition slip through my fingers the other day. On CL and i had the first appointment. Panto'd C-Record, all original the works. Low miles cared for condition. It came with an extra set of wheels. Very rare at only about 350 produced world wide in 1988. 55 to the U.S. Man only asking $1550. Bosslady shut it down. Been tough to move forward. DREAM RIG of ALL Dream Rigs! And rarer than hens teeth. Just need console from fellow enthusiasts.

I. Know. The. feeling!

And I always end up saying to myself, "I shouldn't have been looking because I just might find it!".
    America's greatest threat: Congressional liberal Democrats

Crimes Against Humanity: The History of The Democrat Party

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Sorry you missed her!

If it helps you at all, half of the De Rosa enthusiasts in the United States saw that bike, and gave her a shot.

I have a forum buddy that gave her a run, and I would have as well had I had a single penny in the bicycle fund.

She was too small for me, but my wife would have looked fantastic on her.

The bicycle looked superb in the pics.

bike guy extraordinare
    wait, what bike are you referring to? this one came up on a local Craigs List.

RoadBikeReview Member
    And judging by your avatar, the De Rosa was a size 62 or greater. Good thing too or else I would be crying!!! I would love to have a De Rosa.
    Ordered and Fitted for my Custom DEAN Titanium frame on Sept 17th, 2008. Finally got it in Oct, 2010!!!

bike guy extraordinare
    That bike in the avatar was just something i put together. the De Rosa was a 55cm

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    The "local" CL is not local, in the sense that we all have the same search capabilities.

I assumed you meant this one, which apparently is sold.

http://palmsprings.craigslist.org/bik/2786627721.html

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010

I have one!

Hi,

Im new to this forum but I have one very similar to this one, well I dont think it is the signature edition and Im not sure of the year (maybe you can help me out), but it is really beautiful.

I found it in a friends basement and was hoping to make it my new project, but it might be a little small for me,it is a 52.

Jaime

I wanted to open a new thread but I cant until I post at least 5 times
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails De Rosa Signature Model-de-rosa-1.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    ^^ Severely lusting for that pink De Rosa

l'illustre sconosciuto
    There are a number of bikes that might be described here: a "Signature" model was indeed special made in 1987 in an unknown quantity. This bike was generally painted silver with blue decals depicting only Ugo De Rosa's signature on the seat and down tubes. On the headtube it had the "normal" De Rosa heart decal. Most of these bikes came with C-Record cranks that had Ugo's signature engraved in them. I have seen very few of these bikes come up for sale and they don't seem to bring in much of a premium over a "regular" De Rosa of the same vintage.

There is then the 35 Anniversario (35th anniversary in English) which was made in 1988. This bike was mother of pearl in color and came with the same signature down tube and seattube decals but differently from the "signature" model had a red rose headtube decal. To the best of my knowledge, this is the only bike that has used this particular decal on teh headtube (some others have featured it on the seattube). On the top tube there is decal stating "35 anniversario". It came with a full c-record gruppo (some in the century finish) with the delta brake covers being engraved with ugo's signature, just like the 3TTT stem. All of the approximate 350 frames built were sold as complete bikes at a significant premium back in the day. They all have a serial number on the BB that clearly indicates that it is a 35th anniversary bike as well as indicating where it was originally sold. These bikes seem to come up reasonably often (a few times a year) and generally sell for $2000 on up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails De Rosa Signature Model-headbadge-rose.jpg   De Rosa Signature Model-downtube-signature.jpg   De Rosa Signature Model-rear-brake.jpg   De Rosa Signature Model-35%B0-logo.jpg   De Rosa Signature Model-stem-pantographing.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dnalsaam View Post
    There are a number of bikes that might be described here: a "Signature" model was indeed special made in 1987 in an unknown quantity. This bike was generally painted silver with blue decals depicting only Ugo De Rosa's signature on the seat and down tubes. On the headtube it had the "normal" De Rosa heart decal. Most of these bikes came with C-Record cranks that had Ugo's signature engraved in them. I have seen very few of these bikes come up for sale and they don't seem to bring in much of a premium over a "regular" De Rosa of the same vintage.

There is then the 35 Anniversario (35th anniversary in English) which was made in 1988. This bike was mother of pearl in color and came with the same signature down tube and seattube decals but differently from the "signature" model had a red rose headtube decal. To the best of my knowledge, this is the only bike that has used this particular decal on teh headtube (some others have featured it on the seattube). On the top tube there is decal stating "35 anniversario". It came with a full c-record gruppo (some in the century finish) with the delta brake covers being engraved with ugo's signature, just like the 3TTT stem. All of the approximate 350 frames built were sold as complete bikes at a significant premium back in the day. They all have a serial number on the BB that clearly indicates that it is a 35th anniversary bike as well as indicating where it was originally sold. These bikes seem to come up reasonably often (a few times a year) and generally sell for $2000 on up.
    Hey dnalsaam,
    nice pictures! Is that your own personal bike? I know you used to work for De Rosa many years back. I appreciate your sharing the De Rosa knowledge with the rest of us. The 35th bike is the sweetest De Rosa ever made. I recall seeing one on ebay about 2 yrs ago that started at $1300 and it went unsold. Zero bids! I was dumbfounded that there weren't De Rosa fans that didn't jump all over that. I was very tempted but it was a 57 or 58 so it was waaaaay too big for me. My odds of landing on the moon is better than ever finding one in a 54 or 55, so I've settled on looking for a size 54 Neo Primato in Faema. I want a De Rosa really bad. You wouldn't have a bead on one of these would you?
    Ordered and Fitted for my Custom DEAN Titanium frame on Sept 17th, 2008. Finally got it in Oct, 2010!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Hi Ride Fly,

I have two available but neither is your size.

I'll look around though, as I am riding in a new group this spring.

Three of the guys have De Rosas, and they seem to have an awareness of the brand.

Who knows what might turn up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have three in your size. They are not for sale, ever.

I do have a Merckx (next best thing) that I would part with.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by zmudshark View Post

What an incredible bike John.

I'm working on a Corsa for my "little" brother that is very nice, but not in the same league.

Heh Ride-Fly, this one from zmudshark gets you there in my book.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gomango View Post
    Hi Ride Fly,

I have two available but neither is your size.

I'll look around though, as I am riding in a new group this spring.

Three of the guys have De Rosas, and they seem to have an awareness of the brand.

Who knows what might turn up.
    Keep me in mind as well if a 53 or 54 De Rosa shows up. zmudshark's Merckx would fit me too, but I already have a Corsa Merckx.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty2Hotty View Post
    The problem is I don't know how hard my wood is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    well, riding reduces my homicidal urges, so it's beneficial in that regard.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by stelvio1925 View Post
    Keep me in mind as well if a 53 or 54 De Rosa shows up. zmudshark's Merckx would fit me too, but I already have a Corsa Merckx.
    Definitely!

I have a very nice red SLX and a Giro D' Italia, but they are somewhat larger than 54 cm.

I never thought I'd sell the SLX, but I have an "oddball" De Rosa frameset coming from Bolzano via my brother-in-law this spring.

It's made from EL-OS, and should be a heck of a ride.

The Giro D' Italia was on our local racing board and I picked it up for a friend. He already has a Primato, so this may be available, pending his interest when he returns from China.

Z's Merckx is as pretty as they come though and someone will wisely give it a new home soon enough.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Definitely!

I have a very nice red SLX and a Giro D' Italia, but they are somewhat larger than 54 cm.

I never thought I'd sell the SLX, but I have an "oddball" De Rosa frameset coming from Bolzano via my brother-in-law this spring.

It's made from EL-OS, and should be a heck of a ride.

The Giro D' Italia was on our local racing board and I picked it up for a friend. He already has a Primato, so this may be available, pending his interest when he returns from China.

Z's Merckx is as pretty as they come though and someone will wisely give it a new home soon enough.
    Hi Grady! Thanks for keeping me in mind when happening upon a DR! I appreciate the help in depleting my bank account! ;)

Can't wait to see your new EL OS frame. IMHO, EL OS is the finest steel ever made. A DR in EL OS is the pinnacle of steel frames.

What size are your frames? I can ride a 54 to 56 ETT but prefer a 54.5 ETT if the frame has a steeper STA of 74 deg like the Primatos have in their size 54. It seems to me that DR's size 54 is very similar to Colnago's size 55- which is my perfect size.

I just saw a Merckx that I want but if I bought it, it just means my De Ros gets delayed even more! Ride ON!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    What an incredible bike John.

I'm working on a Corsa for my "little" brother that is very nice, but not in the same league.

Heh Ride-Fly, this one from zmudshark gets you there in my book.
    Quote Originally Posted by zmudshark View Post

Hey Z-man! I hope you were "talking" to me! Is that the Merckx for sale and is it my size? It sure is pretty! Looks flawless! Why are you selling and how much? (PM me if you aren't comfortable with advertising your sale price). Thanks Z! BTW, every time I think about your white De Rosa that was stolen, I get sooo bummed. Seriously. Ride ON brutha!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Was it this one? It looks like it got parted out on eBay---blue suede saddle and handlebars, etc.

De Rosa 35th Anniversary Road Bike Frame Columbus SLX 58cm | eBay

Cinelli Blue Suede Leather Wrapped 64-40 Handlebar and 110 1R Stem | eBay

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride-Fly View Post
    Hey Z-man! I hope you were "talking" to me! Is that the Merckx for sale and is it my size? It sure is pretty! Looks flawless! Why are you selling and how much? (PM me if you aren't comfortable with advertising your sale price). Thanks Z! BTW, every time I think about your white De Rosa that was stolen, I get sooo bummed. Seriously. Ride ON brutha!
    Details here: Serotta Competition Bicycle Forums - zMud's 'I may regret this' bike sale. 1985 Merckx Professional still available

54cm, selling because I'm not a collector, and it only gets ridden a couple times a year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    @Ride-Fly:

Here's a Neo-Primato on the 'bay:

De Rosa Neo Primato Road Bike Frame, Fork and Seatpost | eBay.

It's a tad too big for me. And I already have a Neo-Primato with the KAS livery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty2Hotty View Post
    The problem is I don't know how hard my wood is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    well, riding reduces my homicidal urges, so it's beneficial in that regard.

l'illustre sconosciuto
    Quote Originally Posted by jet sanchEz View Post
    Was it this one? It looks like it got parted out on eBay---blue suede saddle and handlebars, etc.

De Rosa 35th Anniversary Road Bike Frame Columbus SLX 58cm | eBay

Cinelli Blue Suede Leather Wrapped 64-40 Handlebar and 110 1R Stem | eBay
    This is not a 35th anniversary frame. It has been painted to closely replicate the 35th anniversary model but it is missing the tell-tale serial number, plus the rose on the headtube is wrongly placed and the color is silver instead of mother of pearl.

BTW, I looked back at the photos of my former signature and it did not have the heart headtube badge but rather Ugo's signature all by itself.
    Last edited by dnalsaam; 01-28-2012 at 08:51 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stelvio1925 View Post
    @Ride-Fly:

Here's a Neo-Primato on the 'bay:

De Rosa Neo Primato Road Bike Frame, Fork and Seatpost | eBay.

It's a tad too big for me. And I already have a Neo-Primato with the KAS livery.
    Thanks stelvio. I've been watching that one but I prefer a 54 in DR geo. There was a 56 in Faema that started at $600 and ended without a bidder. It's been relisted at $900. Go figure. Anyhow, a 56 is not my preferred size, even though I could ride it.

You already have a NP in KAS, and want another in Faema? Nice!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    FWIW, The Merckx Professional is De Rosa geometry.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    You are correct about the headtube, but the lugs look correct- strange!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast