RoadBikeReview Member

Dura Ace 6 speed freehub

I have what I believe is a Shimano Dura Ace 6 speed freehub, from 1978 or 1979. This was the Dura Ace EX group. Can anyone advice how to get the cassette sprockets off? There doesn't seem to be an opening for a spline tool. Maybe the last sprocket has to come off first?
    Thanks in advance, and sorry for the foggy pic, my camera has trouble focussing at short range!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dura Ace 6 speed freehub-freehub.jpg  
    And goodnight to the street sweepers, the night watchmen flame keepers, and goodnight to Mathilda, too.

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by t5rguy
    I have what I believe is a Shimano Dura Ace 6 speed freehub, from 1978 or 1979. This was the Dura Ace EX group. Can anyone advice how to get the cassette sprockets off? There doesn't seem to be an opening for a spline tool. Maybe the last sprocket has to come off first?
    Thanks in advance, and sorry for the foggy pic, my camera has trouble focussing at short range!
    If it is a freehub, the last cog screws on. You need a chainwhip on the last cog and a lot of elbow grease..Lefty loosy righty tighty applies..so you loosen it by unscrewing to the left.
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

NeoRetroGrouch
    I don't beleive thare there is a 6-speed cassette which would mean it's a freewheel. The whole thing is threaded on to the hub body. Put you chainwhip on the largest cog. - TF
    "Don't those guys know they're old?!!"
    Me, off the back, at my first 50+ road race.

Banned forever.....or not
    From the picture, it looks like it is a freehub type hub instead of a freewheel type hub. The bulge next to the right side is the giveaway. 6, 7, and early 8 speed cassettes were Uniglide type with a thread on outer cog. The splines were evenly spaced and the cogs didn't have ramps.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY
    From the picture, it looks like it is a freehub type hub instead of a freewheel type hub. The bulge next to the right side is the giveaway. 6, 7, and early 8 speed cassettes were Uniglide type with a thread on outer cog. The splines were evenly spaced and the cogs didn't have ramps.
    Yep..This is a bad picture, but you can see it's a freehub.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member

it's off

The sprockets were off in a jiffy, I still have those chainwhips from the freewheel days. Dave and others, thanks. I knew it was a freehub, because of the bulge in the hub, just didn't know how it worked. I didn't want to wreck anything with those enormous arms I have !
    Although the hub is from 1978 it's still in perfect running order.
    And goodnight to the street sweepers, the night watchmen flame keepers, and goodnight to Mathilda, too.

Thinking back, I can't remember if the "freewheel type" Dura Ace hubs had a straight barrell or if they just used the same casting as the freehub type hub. Can anyone remember ?
    Dura Ace freewheels came in 6 and 7 speeds.
    Dogbert.

I>U

NeoRetroGrouch
    Thinking back, I can't remember if the "freewheel type" Dura Ace hubs had a straight barrell or if they just used the same casting as the freehub type hub. Can anyone remember ?
    DA 7-speed cassette hub

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

DA freewheel hub

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

TF

RoadBikeReview Member

a better pic

OK, here is a better picture. I've dismatled the lot. As you can see, 6 cogs (13 to 18), 4 plastic spacers and a hub with a OLN dimension of 120 mm!

I didn't know there even was a cassette freehub in 1979 or 1980. Does this make this hub a rarity? I would appreciate any suggestions to its value, to a colector I would suggest.
    It is in used but excellent, like new, condition. I took it of a bike, together with all the other Dura Ace EX components, everything in the same used but flawless condition.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dura Ace 6 speed freehub-dura-ace-6-speed-freehub.jpg  

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Not the best of pictures, but here's a Dura-Ace front hub and rear freewheel hub. Rear looked very much like the front, except for a narrow, threaded ramp outside of the right-hand flange onto which you (carefully) threaded the freewheel. Easy to crossthread.

NeoRetroGrouch
    OK, here is a better picture. I've dismatled the lot. As you can see, 6 cogs (13 to 18), 4 plastic spacers and a hub with a OLN dimension of 120 mm!

I didn't know there even was a cassette freehub in 1979 or 1980. Does this make this hub a rarity? I would appreciate any suggestions to its value, to a colector I would suggest.
    It is in used but excellent, like new, condition. I took it of a bike, together with all the other Dura Ace EX components, everything in the same used but flawless condition.
    At 120mm, was the DX a BMX hub? - TF

RoadBikeReview Member
    No, it came out of the rear wheel of a 1979 or 1980 Koga Miyata bike. I seem to remember that my first (custom built) frame in 1981 had 120 mm spacing too, although I used 5 speed freewheels at that time.
    As we all moved from 5 to 6 to 7 speed freewheels, the frame was extended to about 126 mm spacing. So 120 mm must have been the standard around 1980.

All 6 and 7 speed Shimano freehubs came from the factory with 126mm spacing. If your hub was really respaced by the original owner, the last cog of the six, would rub on the right dropout.
    At that time, bikes were switching over from 5 to 6 speeds. Bikes that were made with 120mm spacing were stuck using 5 speed freewheels, or if they were lucky, they could get hold of a 6 speed "ultra" freewheel. This "ultra" freewheel would cram 6 cogs into 120mm spacing. Everybody else (with 126mm spacing) would use a standard 6 speed spaced freewheel. Because of the extra dishing, people started to break axles more often than with 120mm type axles. That's why Shimano came out with the Freehub type hub. It put the right side bearing all the way out by the right dropout. After the 126mm 6 speed hub was out for a short time, manufactures got the idea of going with "ultra" spacing so that they could cram 7 cogs where they used to stick 6.
    Dogbert.

I>U

That answers my question.
    Thanks
    Dogbert.

I>U

RoadBikeReview Member

120 mm spacing

The frame of the Koga Miyata has 120 mm spacing; the bike was supplied by Koga completely Dura Ace equipped. To me that means that Shimano supplied the rear hub at 120 mm.

Anyone: thoughts about the value and/or rarity of this hub, and the other Dura Ace EX parts?

Coco Puff
    The frame of the Koga Miyata has 120 mm spacing; the bike was supplied by Koga completely Dura Ace equipped. To me that means that Shimano supplied the rear hub at 120 mm.

Anyone: thoughts about the value and/or rarity of this hub, and the other Dura Ace EX parts?
    I have a full set of the EX. It is very nice stuff, tho I'm not sure about the market value. The rear D and crankset are a work of art.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    I still have, and use, my full Dura Ace EX grouped bike. I loved the design, and it never let me down . . . until fairly recently. The rear derailleur spring broke, and no one could fix or replace it.

Thanks to Dave Hickey's information, at the time, I was able to find a newer Dura Ace rear to replace it with. Works perfectly, although it doesn't match the aesthetics of the original EX.