RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010

E bay 1971 Schwinn Super Sport, How'd I do?

Was looking for a road bike or a fixie, came across this SS that was close enough to do local pick up. I"ll either ride it as is or replace some parts and hold the originals. How does it look like I did for $114? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=260623067094

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Looks sweet. Pretty original, too (though Richard ought to chime in about this). And at that price in that condition, it's pretty hard to lose. But did bicycles have suicide brake levers in 1971? And I think there's a link inside a recent Retro-Classics forum thread that says the Schwinn frames of the era were actually electro-forged, not fillet-brazed. Just filling your head with useless information here.......
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010

I'm old enough to know

Kinda sure those levers were available at the time. The seller does provide part of the serial #. I'm a former machinist/toolmaker/welder, I know something about metalurgy, forging, welding ,brazing and silver solder. I missed "roto-forging" please do help me out. What I do know is CHROMEMOLYBDENUM, TURNS ME ON, Wether it be a bicycle frame or a gun barrel, CromeMoly, I'm in.

Decrepit Member
    The Super Sport, Superior, and Sports Tourer were fillet brazed in the "Paramount cage" at the Chicago factory. They were not electro-forged like the Varsity, Continental, Suburban, etc.

The Super Sport used straight gauge (not butted) 4130 chromoly tubing, and was bullet proof. You did well.

Sheldon Brown has a good article on the Schwinn fillet brazed models HERE, and an equally good article on the Schwinn electro-forged frame manufacturing process HERE.

I described my own 1973 Super Sport project in THIS THREAD.
    -Stan
    my bikes

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    You did great.....nice saddle too
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

duh...
    thank gawd you didn't pay to have it shipped

Quote Originally Posted by mikagsd
    Fat tire Fred....you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    I read Mapei's post and immediately thought of Scooper - the "go to" guy on everything Schwinn. Sure enough.......

I've learned a lot about old Schwinns from our shop manager who sold them back in the '70's.

You did quite well. And yes, they did have "suicide levers" then!
    Anyone who believes there are no stupid questions never worked in a bike shop.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    I think my brown SuperSport had a cost of $138 in 1970. It definitely came with those brakes. It was sold when I bought my 1972 Paramount for $352, which I still use.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'd love to find a 26" inch frame super sport like that.