RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007

Early 80's tubular recommendation

Hello - I would like to built up a period correct tubular wheelset for my 1983 Atala. I have a set of high flange Campy N/R 36h hubs but i'm having a hard time finding out which tubular rim(s) manufacturer and models would be correct. Was there an overwhelming consensus in the pro peloton during that period?

The bike Winter Resto

Thanks for any suggestions
    Last edited by Om Flyer; 03-07-2013 at 02:57 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    There is a NOS pair of Ambrosio Hypothesis available to me locally.
    I'm not crazy about the early aero shape and the weight seems high.
    Does anyone have any experience with this tubular rim?

VeloBase.com - Component: Ambrosio Hypothesis
    Last edited by Om Flyer; 03-06-2013 at 04:26 PM.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    I can't tell you what was used in the peloton, but Mavic rims were fairly common back then. Fiamme Red and Yellow Label rims were hip, too. And very pretty. Of course, they were all box rims. Anything remotely aero will look wrong. If you can find any Clement Campionato del Mondo tires or Clement Paris-Roubaix tires you'll be comfortable as hell and picture perfect.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Agree with Mapei, go for Fiamme Reds, new label or old label would be period correct or Mavic GP4, old label which is red. Another choice would be Super Champion Arc n Ceil or Aspin. I've built with all of them and still have a stash of NOS including Mavic SSCs. Another Italian rim of that era is Nisi but many of their rims required use of washers.
    i've got limited minutes left in life, don't waste my time

RoadBikeReview Member

rims

Wolber profil 18 and profil 20, Super Champion arc en ciel and various Mavics for non italian rims . Ambrosio , Nisi , Fiamme and FIR ? Italian ones ?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    Currently my clincher wheelset is built with Ambrosio Elite rims...boxy, shinny and Italian.
    The Fiamme's are beautiful but in my mind belong on 60's-70's bikes...also boxy, shinny and Itialian.
    I am considering a pair of Super Champion Arc en ciel's with a gold anodized finish.
    Is this a proper rim for a 1983 Atala with Record/SR?
    Early 80's tubular recommendation-image.jpg
    Last edited by Om Flyer; 03-07-2013 at 06:36 AM.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    They're gorgeous. Use them.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Om Flyer View Post
    I am considering a pair of Super Champion Arc en ciel's with a gold anodized finish.
    They will be stunning on the Atala and would look beautiful on my 81 Austro Daimler Olympian, which is currently sporting Mavic GEL280 front and GL330 rear on Campy hubs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    They're gorgeous. Use them.
    Quote Originally Posted by SantaCruz View Post
    They will be stunning on the Atala and would look beautiful on my 81 Austro Daimler Olympian, which is currently sporting Mavic GEL280 front and GL330 rear on Campy hubs.
    Well the rims are on route! Now to find some tires...
    I'm looking at the Challenge line, formerly Clement and I think the Stada or Paris-Roubaix would be a great fit...per Mapei's suggestion.

Strada

Paris Roubaix

I really feel like I should put some high-end tubular tires on these wheels to experience the full benefit...mostly because I've never ridden tubulars!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    I really feel like I should put some high-end tubular tires on these wheels to experience the full benefit...mostly because I've never ridden tubulars!
    Can't claim to be an expert on high end tubulars. For 1st timers the main thing is to mount the tire without creating any bumps or humps in the roundness. {tip - you don't need 3 glue layers to bond the tire, unless you are racing maybe} Vittoria Rallye are among the least expensive and my experience over 4 tires was not good. A friend reccomended Continental Sprinters and am happy with them on 2 vintage wheelsets.

For me the 2 most outstanding benefits of tubulars are: a. the rounder profile and how that improves cornering; b. the lighter rim&tire seem to spin up faster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Those Super Champion Arc-en-ciels would be perfect for your bike especially if you have any other gold colored graphics or details on it. I think Mavid GEL280's and 330GLs came in a little later in the middle 80's, and their dark anodize finish might not match up to the Atala as well as clear (silver) or gold anodized rims would.
    As noted already, Fiamme Ergal rims would work well too as they were around in the 70's and into the early 80's. very light weight but quite expensive if you want NOS or ver good condition ones......if you can find them....
    JMOs

Chombi

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have some ORO10s mounted to Perrin (Pelissier 2000) hubs. Just put Challenge Stradas on and am waiting for some good weather to ride. Obviously the photo is prior to the Stradas.

ca 1971 Lejeune Pro by CV6Enterprises, on Flickr
    Lynn Travers

Bikes and Stuff

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Wow. A Stronglight crank. Is it strong? Is it light? Are you responsible for the drillium? All told, an outstanding bicycle. A candidate for a Concours d'Elegance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    Wow. A Stronglight crank. Is it strong? Is it light? Are you responsible for the drillium? All told, an outstanding bicycle. A candidate for a Concours d'Elegance.
    Yes, yes, and no. 93 with 105bis rings. A common "upgrade" in the day. Since the photo, the 93 was swapped out for a NOS 105bis and a MAFAC gold brakeset. Pics soon.
    Lynn Travers

Bikes and Stuff

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LejeuneCdM View Post
    I have some ORO10s mounted to Perrin (Pelissier 2000) hubs. Just put Challenge Stradas on and am waiting for some good weather to ride. Obviously the photo is prior to the Stradas.
    LejeuneCdM- Please let us know how the Strada's treat you.
    Also, Great photos on Flickr, WOW... many stellar bikes there!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Also, Great photos on Flickr, WOW... many stellar bikes there!!
    Will do. Today would have been great, but I was busy with work. Of course tomorrow gets colder again and wet.
    Lynn Travers

Bikes and Stuff

RoadBikeReview Member
    First ride a couple of days ago. Short...15 miles. The Stradas feel good and fast, but felt sluggish in turns. The latter did not inspire confidence which is unusual for me on a bike that I have ridden off and on for 40+ years. May be an inflation issue as I was running low pressure on the tires. Smooth ride, good acceleration. Hope to get out today for further "testing" using higher tire pressure.

Lejeune Pro Mar 13 01 by CV6Enterprises, on Flickr
    Lynn Travers

Bikes and Stuff