RoadBikeReview Member

A few rough snaps of DannyBoy's Retro Raleigh Ride last Sunday!

Been off the bike for a few weeks due to a cold and kids. Decided to get 'back in the saddle' on Sunday so to speak.

We're well into winter down here in NZ but despite being crisp it was a great sunny day for a ride.

Wellington, the capital, is basically a series of bays. I rode from my home in Khandallah through to Petone and round to Eastbourne and back. Only 55km or so on the flat, apart from a few diversions up hill (hence the views.

Shots of my ride and my recently ergo'd C Record Raleigh enclosed.

DannyBoy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A few rough snaps of DannyBoy's Retro Raleigh Ride last Sunday!-sunday-ride-001.jpg   A few rough snaps of DannyBoy's Retro Raleigh Ride last Sunday!-sunday-ride-002.jpg   A few rough snaps of DannyBoy's Retro Raleigh Ride last Sunday!-sunday-ride-009.jpg   A few rough snaps of DannyBoy's Retro Raleigh Ride last Sunday!-sunday-ride-010.jpg   A few rough snaps of DannyBoy's Retro Raleigh Ride last Sunday!-sunday-ride-006.jpg  

A few rough snaps of DannyBoy's Retro Raleigh Ride last Sunday!-sunday-ride-008.jpg  

Descender
    Oct 2005
    Don't know which I like better the bike or the scenery - both great.

jd3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nice bike!!!!!!!!!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jd3
    Nice bike!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks. I'm being a bit naughty as it's not the first time I've slipped a piccy or two of this ride into the retro forum, but hey, new saddle, new ergo's and some new scenery so I thought why not. It used to be full C-Record and a white Regal but I'm an ergo man thru and thru now and the white Regal went onto my Mercian.

Wellington has some great riding. Lots and lots of bays with great views and some really scenic inland valleys and hills (access to some fantastic wineries inland in Martinborough too).

I moved down here from Auckland at xmas (and from London to Auckland 7odd yrs ago) and have really enjoyed the scenery. Just as well as I had my 2nd Kiwi baby 3 months back (no doubt he'll want to be an All Black rather than Bernard Hinault but you can't have it all).

When out riding a few weeks back a local said to me one thing you're assured of in Wellington is wind and/or hills and if you can ride here you can ride anywhere! Looks like my times might improve. I hated both when I first got here but don't notice either now!!

DannyBoy.

JP
    Lizzie will ride free
    Hey from the states. I've got to tell you I still feel like I am supposed to be living in NZ. These pics kill me. Looks like a bit of a change from Auckland. Congrats on second kiwi kid.
    "Another shot of the 6th Street Bridge. I guess I'm feeling sentimental because word is they're going to tear it down and build a replacement." DrRoebuck

http://subterraneanhomesickrandonneurblues.blogspot.com

RoadBikeReview Member

Big change. Just bought a house here too.

Quote Originally Posted by JP
    Hey from the states. I've got to tell you I still feel like I am supposed to be living in NZ. These pics kill me. Looks like a bit of a change from Auckland. Congrats on second kiwi kid.
    So looks like we're staying......

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2008
    This is a classy bike and it looks like you've got great riding routes nearby!

Those delta brakes alway look great, but how do you find them to stop with?

RoadBikeReview Member

I find the Delta's ok.

Quote Originally Posted by greg75
    This is a classy bike and it looks like you've got great riding routes nearby!

Those delta brakes alway look great, but how do you find them to stop with?
    Many people slag 'em off a bit as their performance isn't close to modern dual pivot brakes, but I actually find them just fine. The modulation isn't great. I guess if you raced with 'em you'd not love them, but for a medium paced sunny Sunday ride they're just fine.

I've had some modern brakes (Cane Creek BRS 200's and the like) that were very light weight, but much much worse - you've reminded me I need to source some spare brake blocks.

I love this bike too. I bought the frame when I was 16 some 23yrs ago. When I moved to NZ 7 yrs or so back it was sitting in my mums garage. She died and I asked my brother to just chuck it when he was clearing house. He didn't and kept it in his shed in London for a few more years.

Lucky he did as I got bitten by the retro bug. Bob Jackson did the refurbishment for me and I got all the C Record stuff NOS.

It's a really nice metallic black. Originally the bike was white with yellow overspray around all the lugs. No chrome.

In a way it's my favourite bike. Although it's only humble 531 and quite heavy I rode this to some great results in local 10 and 25 mile TT's. Back in the day it had grey shimano 600/ultegra on it and mavic open 4 cd rims etc.

As I said earlier I'm a bit cheeky as I'll repeatedly post pictures of it at the drop of a hat!!

Weather out here meant to be ok over the w/e so I feel another retro ride comin' on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oh wow, I lived in Tititrangi for awhile and these photos make me really, really miss NZ. I hope to move back permanently one day.

GREAT bike, awesome photos.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I particularly like the Raleigh because it's unusual with those rare Campy Delta brakes and I like unusual bikes and cars. I hope you keep some if not all your uprights, they are unusual and should be kept in pristine condition; some buyers won't respect that and will try to make more money then they paid by stripping them down and selling parts separately and the frame and fork by themselves. I detest that because someone loves money more then the bike.