RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2003

Finally Found a Vitus 979 In My Size

Well, I finally found a nice 979 in a 48cm. I was hoping for a white one or light blue but can live with purple...I think. Now I have to build it.

The frame comes with Kalloy seat post, Cinelli stem,Shimano 600 headset and BB and down tube shifter bosses, as the bike had DA 7400 8 sp, shifters.

I would like to keep it light and will be looking for used 9 or 10 speed components. I know that I will have to spread the stays to accept the 130 hub but it sounds like that isn't a real problem. Is there anything I need to be concerned about regarding the bottom bracket and spindle if I want to go with a late model compact crank? I am thinking a Shimano RC-700 or FC-6650 so I can keep everything silver instead of gray or black. Not sure about hubs and wheels yet?

Any other thoughts, admonishments or warnings will be appreciated. The bike in the photos appears to be super nice but the down tube and top tube decals have been removed. So, I will probably purchase the Ebay decals from the guy in Australia to finish it off.

Yes, pics to come as soon as it is assembled.

Thanks,
    Steve

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm not as up on vitus as i am on classic steel, but here goes.

Crank should be no issue. english thread, as far as i know vitus was pretty standard.

Now for crank choices, if you want to keep a classic polished look, but in a compact crank, i would say take a look at first generation rival cranks. They sell on ebay for cheap, and they look great in a classic way.

I cant say for sure that you can spread the rear triangle to 130, but if it is a 126 mm you could still use a ten speed cassette and leave off the last cog. I mean really, how often are you in the 12 tth cog anyway? Your shifters would work fine, just have an extra click at the end. Remember, the advantage of brifters is the actual hand/shifter interface, not the number of gears in the back.

Again, for classic looks the first gen rival in polished aluminm is hard to beat.

Cant wait to see pictures.

Bill

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by crossracer View Post

I cant say for sure that you can spread the rear triangle to 130, but if it is a 126 mm you could still use a ten speed cassette and leave off the last cog.
    Bill
    This makes no sense to me. How does leaving off a cog change the OLD? I know you can't do this on Campagnolo systems, the smallest cog carries the locknut ratchet mechanism and even if you got around this the cassette would be too short for the frehub body.

I don't use the other two so I can't be sure but I can't see how it would work on them either.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Your BB should be English but check it to be sure. There were some French BBs floating around back when my wife got hers, about 1984.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sorry, let me spell it out a little better.

It depends on a couple of things. 1: you have to have a seven speed cassette body designed for hyperglide lockrings (like current standard.)

Then you have put on the cassette like you would regularly. My fault when i used the small cog analogy, you would need that as it has the knurles on it to engage the lockring.

So say you have a ten speed cassette, thats a 12-25. Even if the cogs are rivited together you can carefully grind off the head of the rivit and say remove the 13 tth cog. Then you can try fitting it on the cassette and see how it works.

10 speed spacing allows you to run any modern brifter, but you just would be missing one gear. Its just a compromise way to keep the 126 mm spacing and still use a modern shifter.

I hope that this helps.
    Bill

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    OK, so that's Sheldon's "8 from 9 on a 7 speed Hyperglide" trick updated to 9 from 10.

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    I've owned many 979s and it's not hard at all to spread the rear to 130mm....These frames are very flexible.
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Of course sheldon would have a nice artical about it. LOL LOL But i have been pulling this trick since when 6400 ultregra brifters first came out. My area didnt have a ton of money, so saving people a wheel build to use the new STI's worked well for alot of people, myself included.

But when i looked at my SRAM cassette today, both the 13 and the 14tth cogs were knurled.

Hope all this info helps

Bill

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2003
    I've decided to build the 979 with DA 7800 parts. I need a clamp-on style front derailleur.. Is the correct clamp size 28.6?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kelly View Post
    OK, so that's Sheldon's "8 from 9 on a 7 speed Hyperglide" trick updated to 9 from 10.
    Wow, Kewl tip!

I may do that on my current project to keep from having to buy a new wheel set.
    Veni, Vidi, Vomiti.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hawker12 View Post
    I've decided to build the 979 with DA 7800 parts. I need a clamp-on style front derailleur.. Is the correct clamp size 28.6?
    Yes.

BTW, my project for my daughter

Last edited by Heinz Heizer; 09-19-2011 at 12:18 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2003
    Thanks Heinz. Does she like the build or is this a surprise of some kind? Looks like maybe a 49 or cm frame?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Good eye, hawker!
    Stamp in frame says 49/51.

No surprise anymore. She alredy found it in the hobby room in the cellar.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2003
    Well it seems that finding a 28.6 DA derailleur is not going to be easy.

I've been looking at the Shimano Derailleur adapters that will allow me to use a braze-on model but can't find any evidence that Shimano makes one in that size. Anyone?

Thanks.

Sleep Expert
    Just get the braze on one, and get a clamp off of ebay. In a worst case scenario, you'll have to use shims.
    My carbon footprint has cleats