RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012

Found a early 70's Bottecchia Professional

Going to pick this bike up on monday, thought it was a pretty decent find. Having a hard time getting info on this bike so I figured I would post up here and see if anyone has some more info on it. Here is what I know...

Equipment:

Front derailleur: Campagnola Record
    Rear derailleur: Campagnola Nuovo Record
    Crank: Campagnola Record
    Petals: Campagnola (steel I believe)
    Seat Post: Campagnola
    Hubs: Campagnola
    Quick Release: Campagnola
    Shifters: Campagnola
    Handlebar stem: 3 TTT
    Handlebar: 3 TTT
    Brakes: Universal Mod. 61 center pull
    Brake handle: not marked but I believe these are Universal as well
    Saddle: unmarked (cow hide - no in good condition)
    Rims: Fiame (for sew up tires)

I found that with the particular components all campy NR, and Fiamme wheels w/ Campy hubs that this is a Bottecchia Professional. Its made in italy he said that it says "Teodora Carnielli & C" so I know its before the company got sold out to the US. The bike has been repainted but Im probably going to go with a nicer repaint if I keep it.

What I really want to know is what kind of steel did they use on this frame. He says there is not a sticker indicating if its reynolds 531 or Columbus. I would assume its columbus since most italian bikes sport that steel. Ill put up some pics, its a little rough around the edges but give me a couple weeks and ill have it in good order. Thanks for the help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Found a early 70's Bottecchia Professional-bottecchia-view-3.jpg   Found a early 70's Bottecchia Professional-bottecchia-view-2.jpg   Found a early 70's Bottecchia Professional-bottecchia-view-1.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Oh, forgot to add....this bike has campy dropouts so I know its at least the professional.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Found my info on this bike with just some looking around on the net. Its a Columbus frame, weighs around 22-23lbs. Campy NR Gruppo. I read that the frame was chromed underneath the paint. If this is true I might strip all the paint off and just rock a fully polished frame. Anyone done that have any tips for me? Ill post more pics when I get the bike, just parting it out with all the campy stuff will net me a good amount if I so choose.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    I'm unfamiliar with Campagnola components.

Be aware that if you strip off the paint the chrome underneath may not be the show chrome quality finish you are envisioning. The paint finish is in pretty good condition, you could touch it up and polish it to look pretty nice. Quite a bit of that surface rust on the chrome can be fixed with chrome polish and elbow grease.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by andyfloyd View Post
    Found my info on this bike with just some looking around on the net. Its a Columbus frame, weighs around 22-23lbs. Campy NR Gruppo. I read that the frame was chromed underneath the paint. If this is true I might strip all the paint off and just rock a fully polished frame. Anyone done that have any tips for me? Ill post more pics when I get the bike, just parting it out with all the campy stuff will net me a good amount if I so choose.
    FYI, it's CAMPAGNOLO

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by orbeamike View Post
    FYI, it's CAMPAGNOLO

lol, FYI I just copied and pasted the email from the previous owner of the bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by brewster View Post
    I'm unfamiliar with Campagnola components.

Be aware that if you strip off the paint the chrome underneath may not be the show chrome quality finish you are envisioning. The paint finish is in pretty good condition, you could touch it up and polish it to look pretty nice. Quite a bit of that surface rust on the chrome can be fixed with chrome polish and elbow grease.
    Its campagnolo I copied the email from the previous owner. Im going to touch up the paint and then clearcoat the frame. Need to order the original sticker set from ebay and this bike should look fairly period correct. Ill post more pics when I clean it up some more.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    I do have a question though, the 3TTT quill stem has an unknown size hex bolt. I tried all my metric and standard sizes and they are either too large or too small. It looks like the hex bolt has been slightly stripped but its obvious that I dont have the right size hex, anyone know if italian bikes have odd sized hex bolts on the stem? Want to take it down to the bare frame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Sweet bike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Just to clarify my question previous, I need to know the size hex key for the expander bolt on the stem. I have metric and standard and none of them fit it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Post more pics if you can, the 3T stems usually have a cap on the top and when removed (one of mine has a slot for flat blade screw driver) the allen bolt (metric) is at the very bottom of the stem. It takes either a 4 or 5mm from my experience. It may be a torx if the metric does not fit.