Thread: Haral Chambery

RoadBikeReview Member

Haral Chambery

Having owned this frame since the early '90s, just recently I found more info on this rather unusual frame thanks to a helpful ebay watcher. Personally I love this bike and it is surprisingly stiff and accelerates better than my other steel rides. I have torn down and built up this bike at least 3 times, now it's finally how I wanted it........for now.
    headset: stronglight
    stem/handlebar: 3T/Scott
    derailleurs: Chorus 9spd front; Athena rear, Victory shifters
    crankset: Corce dAnue
    seatpost: Record
    brakes: Cobalto calipers wit Dia Comp levers
    wheelset: Mavic 550 hubs laced to Sun hard annodized rims with Wheelsmith bladed spokes; Dura Ace 7spd freewheel
    saddle: Flite Titanium

Here is what acmebicyclecompany wrote:
    They were based near Chambery in the Haute Savoie alps...I remember
    the first day I ever visited them...on industrial estates in such a
    wonderful part of France. The Swiss type emblem on this frame is the
    emblem of Haute Savoie..so the frame is truly French..and
    top-of-the-range. The tubing is definitely not Reynolds or Columbus, but
    is EXCELL Mexico II series. The tubes were made by Gautier-Trousell of
    Longueville, near Paris for Excell. The gauge is .6mm, plain gauge , with
    a resistance to rupture of 1180/1380N/mm(sq)...it's wonderful stuff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Haral Chambery-dsc_0383.jpg   Haral Chambery-dsc_0384.jpg   Haral Chambery-dsc_0385.jpg   Haral Chambery-dsc_0387.jpg   Haral Chambery-dsc_0388.jpg  

Last edited by orbeamike; 02-11-2008 at 12:49 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member

more photos

more to share with other Haral owners. Note the construction is both fillet brazed and lugged. I also wonder the design reason behind the curved top and seat tubes....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Haral Chambery-dsc_0389.jpg   Haral Chambery-dsc_0390.jpg   Haral Chambery-dsc_0392.jpg   Haral Chambery-dsc_0393.jpg   Haral Chambery-dsc_0394.jpg  

Haral Chambery-dsc_0395.jpg   Haral Chambery-dsc_0396.jpg  

merckxman
    Jan 2002
    Beautiful, and wonderful workmanship! I saw the one on ebay which was the first I had ever seen.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    Wow, that is absolutely stunning!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004

0.6 Straight gauge tubing?

Holy Crap! Hope that is accurate. Cooooool.

Nice paint, too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    very unusual, beautiful!

Incredibly slow
    Feb 2005
    Very nice. Is that paint, or something like a red chrome (if there is such a thing)?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bwana
    Very nice. Is that paint, or something like a red chrome (if there is such a thing)?
    Red chrome is a pretty good way to describe it in appearance.
    The frame is fully chromed with a red tranparant laquer finish over it. This type of finish is called "chromovelato". Someday I may have it clear coated to protect the fraile decals.

Mike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    Thank the stars above that frame is bigger than a 57. I'm absolutely in love with it and I just can't chase after anymore. One of the most beautiful bikes I've ever seen. Congrats!

Danny

RoadBikeReview Member

additional info:

Haral was a builder of very high quality frames of all types, based in La Motte-Servolex in the Haute Savoie region They linked up with Isidoro Rezze, the owner of EXCELL tubes to build a large range of top-end frames with this series.
    The frames illustrated are built from the Mexico I and Mexico II sets that were characterised by the slightly curved seat and top-tubes.. The Mexico I series had four lines of "beading" pressed into the tubes that resembled long lines of interlinked small circles..This feature was known as "perle " ( or pearled) It can just be seen on the green frame. On a frame finished with chrome plate covered by a clear coloured varnish the effect was sparkling.
    The tubes were used for standard road racing frames as well as low-profile ones.

T-mar from bike forums also wrote:
    By rotating the bottom bracket shell several degrees forward, the seat tube becomes steeper, allowing shorter and stiffer chainstays. It also lowers junction of the down tube with the head tube for the small diameter front wheel. Of course, this would also result in a lower bottom bracket height and steeper head angle, but the latter can be offset by using shallower, touring angle lugs. With the steeper seat tube, it has to be curved to get the the saddle back to the correct position.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Absolutely beautiful. But is this, like so many other things in cycling, the "answer to the question nobody asked?" Regardless, those frames are stunning and the Excell tubing was something special.
    Anyone who believes there are no stupid questions never worked in a bike shop.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm sure I've seen one of these before, really nice, really unique. The finish isn't uncommon for the era - nice, I want one.

Diesel Engine
    Gorgeous.