RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009

Help ID: Merckx Corsa Extra with oval tubes

I just put a deposit on it, and need some help figuring this Merckx out:

80s EDDY MERCKX CORSA EXTRA frameset (OVAL tubes !) | eBay

Cable routing over bottom bracket suggests early 80s. But paint scheme suggests early 90s. The only oval tube Merckx frames I know of are the MXLs, and they were more elliptical than a straight oval. Am wondering if this was a one off build...any care to enlighten?

More importantly, if any one has one of these, how's the ride? Early 80s aero frames were supposed to be harsh but am hoping Merckx has massaged that away...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    This auction ended almost a year ago?

I would guess that it is a custom job, the Merckx factory would do whatever you wanted as long as you paid for it. It must be an old TT bike or something.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    There have been several on EBay over the years. Maybe they were popular for TTs requiring better handling than a funny bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    My buddy won that auction and he's got so many projects he's decided to let a few bikes and frames go.

He and I also thought it was a one-off job by the factory. It will be interesting to select the components for it - do I go early 80s aero (AX) because of the cable routing over BB - or go early 90s bits due to the Titanal paint scheme.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Early 90's b/c of shifter braze on?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I owned a Merckx Corsa 01 for a long time, and it had ovalized seat and down tubes.