RoadBikeReview Member

Help ID Nervex lugged frame

Please help ID this old girl, I've narrowed it down to being British 1950-60's with Nervex profesional lugs. Probably is reynolds 531, English BB, nice wrap around chain stays. I think the cable guides have been added on. Would love to know who made it, any thoughts?

Nervex pictures by bjohno - Photobucket

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Higher end Falcon from the mid 70's would be my guess.

Hide Age and DOB
    May 2007
    I'm guessing 63-65 Raleigh Record or similar; Raleigh advertised the wrap around chain stays during this time and used the Nervex lugs.
    E fatto espresso divieto di partecipare alla manifestazione con biciclette che non possiedano i suddetti requisiti.Ogni tentativo di farlo a mangiare un piatto di grandi dimensioni di 3 settimane la polenta e in genere di divertimento, soprattutto se egli straniero.

We have met the enemy...
    Agree about the cable stays--heck I did that to my Falcon because even teh Campy guides used to move and or rust.

I actually don't think Falcon, or at least the head lug treatment and wrapover seat stay treatment are different than even the late '60s falcon--when they started doing the flattene wrapover they wer e using that one piece cast style, like the Holdsworth Pros. Thetr also typically dinn't do the braze on pump peg--

if you can find a serial #--I wold look at nick kilgraf's Holdsworth page to see--he has a lot of catalog pages too. But it would be the generation before the cinelli crown.flattened wrapover like the Falcons.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by onespeedbiker View Post
    I'm guessing 63-65 Raleigh Record or similar; Raleigh advertised the wrap around chain stays during this time and used the Nervex lugs.
    Don't know how I overlooked this--also a strong possibility--and I like the dating....
    Last edited by paredown; 04-27-2012 at 03:31 PM.
    "When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking."

(Sir) Arthur Conan Doyle. Scientific American, January 18, 1896

mtnroadie
    I wanted to say Holdsworth too, I recently got a Holdsworth and looked at a lot of pictures of different ones. The wrapover seat lug is similar to some of the ones found on Holdsworths. The fork crown is what throws me for a loop, I have never seen those on a Holdsworth, the Professionals almost always had a Cinelli sloping fork crown (at least the ones i have seen)

I am thinking perhaps a Mercian or some smaller scale builder from Great Britain or France. There were quite a few back the day.

If i were you i would do some research on Nervex lugs and look at tons of pics online. The wrapover seat tube lug, the fork crown and pump pegs are going to be the key details that will help id this frame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    yes the wrap over seat stay is the main clue and i agree about the small scale builder, there is no serial no anywhere

Hide Age and DOB
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bjohno View Post
    yes the wrap over seat stay is the main clue and i agree about the small scale builder, there is no serial no anywhere
    There is a serial number it's just filled in with paint and illegible.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help ID Nervex lugged frame-sam_3337.jpg  
    E fatto espresso divieto di partecipare alla manifestazione con biciclette che non possiedano i suddetti requisiti.Ogni tentativo di farlo a mangiare un piatto di grandi dimensioni di 3 settimane la polenta e in genere di divertimento, soprattutto se egli straniero.

RoadBikeReview Member
    yes i was confused by that, apparently its the dim's & angles of the nervex lug itself