RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005

I got sniped - Paramount P65

Anyone else feel huge disappointment when you bid on a nice old bike on eBay and you get sniped at the last minute? Dang, I thought I had this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=370121182968

Early 70's Paramount P65 Ladie's being sold through a consignment outfit. Basically a P15 with a stepthrough frame. From the photos, it needs some cleanup, but it looks to be absolutely 100% original and correct as far as the paint and components. The Brooks saddle looks new! It still has the freaking reflectors on the pedals..... A day's work and it would have been awesome!

Congrats to the evil sniper that got a steal at $550. I guess I'll continue my quest for a nice 22" P15.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Some people make an art of it. Sniping feels vaguely dishonorable to me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I try to put in my best offer with 10 secs or less to go. I think most sniping progs bid around 8 secs. I try not to give anyone time to raise their bid.

The last bike I bought, I put a bid in and went to bed, I was shocked to see I owned it in the AM. I like auctions that end before my (early) bedtime, and winning the last one was an exception, I thought it would have gone higher.

Bike prices are funny like that.

If it was a steal at $550, maybe you should have raised your top bid to the most you would be comfortable paying?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005

Ummm....

Quote Originally Posted by zmudshark
    I try to put in my best offer with 10 secs or less to go. I think most sniping progs bid around 8 secs. I try not to give anyone time to raise their bid.

The last bike I bought, I put a bid in and went to bed, I was shocked to see I owned it in the AM. I like auctions that end before my (early) bedtime, and winning the last one was an exception, I thought it would have gone higher.

Bike prices are funny like that.

If it was a steal at $550, maybe you should have raised your top bid to the most you would be comfortable paying?

I DID raise my bid to the most I was comfortable paying. I couldn't comfortably come up with any more than I bid. I just got outgunned by more money.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Happens all the time. There are still a few folks that have enough money to get whatever they want (not me, or you, evidently). I would think that triple Campy crank is worth at least half the selling price, if not more. High flange Campy hubs, pre CSPC and a nice Brooks, Campy seatpost and old logo Cinelli stem did make it well worth the selling price. Looks like Campy barcons and pedals, too.

I would guess you could strip the parts and darn near double your money, and still have a frame to sell afterwards.

Looks like the buyer knew exactly what he/she was getting.

I never understood why Schwinn made the woman's Paramount an actual woman's frame, instead of a mixte, with a third set of stays going back to rear.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005

I hope...

I hope the buyer keeps it together, because there were so few of those made in the first place. I had planned to clean it up and let my daughter ride it. Oh, and it would have fit me perfectly, too.

It will probably end up parted out, and the frame will end up being a chi chi fixie.

Sad but true.

Those were the Paramount standard issue black alloy caged Campy pedals under the reflectors, and yes, those were Campy barcons.

You are right. Campy triple w/BB, Campy barcons, alloy pedals, Brooks honey saddle, Cinelli bar and stem, seatpost, nice high flange clincher wheels, Regina Oro wide range freewheel and chain. The parts are surely worth more than the whole.

Damn. I just hope it doesn't end up parted out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well, the buyer seems to have spent a lot of time bidding on cycling stuff, so maybe he's one of us.

Sorry you didn't get it. I always like to tell myself when I lose, that the high bidder went WAY higher than I could have, and $25 wouldn't have made any difference.

It lets me sleep better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I still don't understand the "problem" with sniping. If you bid your maximum in the first place, you were simply outbid. How does it matter when the highest bid arrives?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005

Sniping

I labeled the sniper 'evil' in jest.

I don't have any problem with sniping itself, an auction is an auction, it is just really disappointing when you think you have something in the bag, and you get sniped in the last few seconds. In this case I was winning the auction and my max bid was 25% higher than the current amount, right down to the last 15 seconds.

If I put in my max bid and someone has proxied in a higher bid already, it isn't as disappointing to me.

Chili hed & old bike fixr
    If you had placed your maximum bid at the last little bit , you probably would have gotten the bike. Placing it early gave the sniper some idea of what he needed to do.