RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013

I think I found MY bike! '73 World Voyageur

First off I want to say I appreciate the very helpful replies I've gotten from a couple members here as I've been searching for an old road bike. I would certainly have made a big mistake by now if not for the advice and info I've read here.

Anyway... I recently came across a 1973 Schwinn world voyageur at a shop in town. I road it. I like it. After some research I realize that it was, in it's time, quite a special bike, and I'm this close to pulling the trigger. I've decided to cool my heels for a day or two before I buy it.

If your not familiar here's a page with some good information about it: Cycle Thru: 1973 Schwinn World Voyageur

The one I'm looking at is yellow and appears to have all the original parts except the saddle and the shifters. The mechanic at the shop put clamp-on DT shifters and a bargain bin saddle on it to sell it. The paint is not great, but the chrome under the paint is pretty much intact. There are a few very small rust spots here and there.

The guy at the shop wants $189 for it. This seems to me to be a fair price for this bike. If it was 100% original and paint was excellent, I believe it would be worth $500-600 or maybe more. What do you think? Does it sound like a square deal?

Decrepit Member
    Yes; that's a good deal. The '73 World Voyageurs were designed by Schwinn and built by National/Panasonic in Japan. They are among the first bikes to be imported by Schwinn. The frames are beautifully built double-butted lugged chromoly.

This is an excellent choice for a quality vintage road bike.

-Stan
    my bikes

RoadBikeReview Member
    I say, if the bike speaks to you, BUY IT.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    It's mine!

I think I found MY bike! '73 World Voyageur-p7121754-001.jpg

I rode it home from the shop tonight, 12 miles or so, made a few minor adjustments on the way, but everything seems to be pretty much in order.

I like my new hoopty a lot better than my old hoopty.

Wave, dammit!
    Nice! Looks like it's in really good condition. I dig that zebra saddle.
    When a cyclist in your area is injured or killed by a motorist, make an extra effort the next day to go for a ride. It doesn't have to be an organized ride, or even a long ride. Hell, ride a 15 minute loop around your neighborhood if you want.

Just be seen riding your bike.

Do it to make people aware we're out there. Do it to honor a fellow traveler. Do it because you're lucky enough to still be able to.

Decrepit Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clengman View Post
    It's mine!

I rode it home from the shop tonight, 12 miles or so, made a few minor adjustments on the way, but everything seems to be pretty much in order.

I like my new hoopty a lot better than my old hoopty.
    Congratulations! You did well.
    -Stan
    my bikes

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nice! Glad you bought it!
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    got a black leather saddle I'll trade you for that zebra saddle! That's classic! Joe

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Nov 2008
    Nice bike, can we get a picture if the "hoopty" too?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks everyone.

I think it's in decent shape, but there's definitely some paint missing and a tiny bit of rust here and there. That's probably good, though. If it was perfect, I wouldn't have been able to afford it.

I wasn't sure about the saddle at first, but it's growing on me.

I've been thinking about what I might do with it in the future. It'd sure look nice restored to factory condition. With brown leather saddle and bar tape and a shiny rack and fenders it'd be pretty classy looking, but for right now, I'll just keep it clean and polished and enjoy it the way it is.