RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017

Id This racing bike . Peugeot px 10 ?

I found this racing bike frame to be restored. On the frame I found a rear derailleur Suntour VX . Front derailleur shimano 600. Looking for numbers found under crank 446 and Nervex name. No labels on the frame. After 3 weeks I found a close match as Peugeot PX 10.Also on top tube in the metal a lion similar as Peugeot. But there are all different makes of This model. Can someone help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Id This racing bike . Peugeot px 10 ?-dscf2996.jpg   Id This racing bike . Peugeot px 10 ?-dscf2992.jpg   Id This racing bike . Peugeot px 10 ?-dscf2990.jpg   Id This racing bike . Peugeot px 10 ?-dscf2994.jpg  

Fecal indicator
    looking at google images of PX 10s, don't see any with eyelets on the fork or dropouts.

are you sure that icon on the TT is a lion...? looks more like some kind of dragon...
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    HI. It could be a dragon . If look at peugeot badge then it is close. My problem is i cant restore the bike if i dont know the make. It is a lovely frame.

Fecal indicator
    fwiw, the eyelets are for racks/fenders which would tend to make it more of a touring frame rather than a racing frame.

don't know if that matters to you or not...
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

Russian Troll Farmer
    The bracket for a center-pull front brake guarantees that it's not a PX-10. The true test is weight; a PX10 frame is very light. Check to see if it has butted tubes.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't know that it's a Peugeot, the seat stay caps don't look right and I don't know about the pump pegs on the top tube. I could be wrong thou. They're Nervex lugs but those have been used by plenty of manufacturers over the years.

What's the threading on the bottom bracket and headset? French?

Looks like a 60's or 70's frame that could be built into a nice bike even if not built n its original livery.

Have you been to VeloBase.com or Lightweight Classic Vintage bicycles to compare this frame to others?
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    The bracket for a center-pull front brake guarantees that it's not a PX-10. The true test is weight; a PX10 frame is very light. Check to see if it has butted tubes.
    I'm pretty sure that there were plenty of PX 10's built with MAFAC competition brakes.

from PEUGEOT

Id This racing bike . Peugeot px 10 ?-px-10.jpg
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    fwiw, the eyelets are for racks/fenders which would tend to make it more of a touring frame rather than a racing frame.

don't know if that matters to you or not...
    Not necessarily true. In years past there were plenty of racing frames built with eyelets.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Thank you for the help. I will look at velobase or lightweight classic. Comparing with other frames has taken me over a month. will keep looking. Many thanks Izak

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Hi. Its a lovely frame so it does not matter touring or racing. The components you used must fit the name.

Fecal indicator
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Not necessarily true. In years past there were plenty of racing frames built with eyelets.
    true, but wanted to point out the possibility that it might not be a 'racing' frame with steeper angles...

my first 'real' bike was a Motobecane Grand Touring that had eyelets and some pretty relaxed geometry...the guy at the LBS sold it to me as a 'race bike'...I was too much of a noob to notice the word 'touring' in the name.

doh! I considered touring was for old farts and it always bugged me so I ended up selling it for that reason.

Off the back
    You might look for markings on the bottom bracket (35x1) or headset (25x1) for French threading. Although that headset appears a little munched. Moreover, PX-10 models seemed to use Stronglight components and those do not look like that brand. Also, you should see the usual chrome stays and fork tips.

Agree that the eyelets likely take the PX-10 idea off the table.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    The bracket for a center-pull front brake guarantees that it's not a PX-10.
    smfh. you continue to have absolutely no clue. please stop.

px10s have forged rear drops, and the rear stays were always chromed. (that's how you tell a px10 from a pr10.) those rear drops look stamped, without a rear derailleur hanger. this is a giveaway it's lower mid-level.

very cool lugs though. you gotta strip that paint and refurbish it. whatever it is, it will be a fun project.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    those rear drops look stamped, without a rear derailleur hanger. this is a giveaway it's lower mid-level.
    I had to go back and take a closer look after reading this, my 1st look I saw the derailleur and didn't notice the stamped drop outs.
    Too old to ride plastic

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by izak View Post
    My problem is i cant restore the bike if i dont know the make.
    if it's lower-level like i think it is, you wouldn't want to restore it anyway. a restoration will cost $1000-$1500 (or more) with a full repaint and the exact replacement components in which the bike was originally equipped. it just doesn't make sense for a bike like this.

instead, refurbish it. you do this by making the paint look as good as you can within your budget and use period correct parts from japan, italy, france, or wherever. refurbishing can actually place a bike like this in a much better condition than it was originally, because you can upgrade the original parts, especially the wheels, any way you please.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Thank you

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    I Do enjoy reading your message and its true. it will be great to built a bike. Many thanks

a real member's member
    here's another note from the now defunct cycles peugeot website about pre-1980 px10 identification:

"Braze ons: With the exception of a rear derailleur cable stop and a small tab under the down tube, a PX10 should have NO braze ons."

so the four top tube fittings on the op's bike should have also been a major clue this is not a px10. so remember:

- forged rear drops
    - on frame rear derailleur hanger
    - chrome rear stays
    - no top tube guides nor other top tube fittings.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    I am not a Peugeot expert but a PX 10 will have chrome "socks" like the pic in post #7' . A repaint will possibly have covered this up but you should be able to tell anyway. Of course the stamped rear dropouts also aren't found on PX 10.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May be a U-08.
    Waxahachie, Texas
    Biciclette Gios

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."