Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. #1
    Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Reputation: Dave Hickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    20,856

    I'm a sucker for red frames...

    I need another bike like I need a hole in my head but this one just jumped out at me...

    I've always been a fan of French frames. I was just browsing eBay and came across this 1984 Gitane Tour De France. It's my size and it's english threaded...oh and it's red

    This will become a geared bike...It won't be a fixed gear....Time to go start collecting parts..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I'm a sucker for red frames...-gitane042.jpg   I'm a sucker for red frames...-gitane059.jpg   I'm a sucker for red frames...-gitane081.jpg  
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

    My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: JaeP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    4,253

    Great find

    Hey Dave,
    I, too, like red bikes. Can't wait to see her built up. What parts are you gonna hang on her? Mavic, maybe?
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

  3. #3
    Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Reputation: Dave Hickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    20,856
    Quote Originally Posted by JaeP
    Hey Dave,
    I, too, like red bikes. Can't wait to see her built up. What parts are you gonna hang on her? Mavic, maybe?
    Good idea....I have a few Mavic parts....I'm not in any hurry with this bike,,, Mavic sounds like a plan
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

    My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: JaeP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    4,253

    Luff Mavic Derailleur

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hickey
    Good idea....I have a few Mavic parts....I'm not in any hurry with this bike,,, Mavic sounds like a plan
    I just love those old Mavic rear derailleurs (friction, baaaay-BEE!). I'm waiting for a frame to fit this derailleur.
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: DannyBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,107
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hickey
    I need another bike like I need a hole in my head but this one just jumped out at me...

    I've always been a fan of French frames. I was just browsing eBay and came across this 1984 Gitane Tour De France. It's my size and it's english threaded...oh and it's red

    This will become a geared bike...It won't be a fixed gear....Time to go start collecting parts..
    Nice, shame you sold that older campag from your last project!!!!

    Assume as ever you'll be going ShimaNO? I know a man who is knee deep in NOS 7400 DA - PM me if interested.

    Nice frame.

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3,095
    Nice find, Dave. The upper end Vitus tubesets are, in my opinion, very underrated. We just built up an NOS French Motobecane, lugged Super Vitus, for one of our mechanics who was mugged on his way home from work and had his new Trek stolen. We "cobbed it up out of the parts bin", a real mish-mosh of stuff, but boy, does that thing ride nice.

    As for the "mugging," it was on the Santa Ana River Trail (Orange County, CA) at night. There's a whole thread in Regional rides about the "danger" of that bike trail and I guess those folks weren't paranoid.

  7. #7
    Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Reputation: Dave Hickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    20,856
    I've been going through my parts stash this weekend and I have a complete 7/8 speed Dura Ace group... In the interest of ecomomics, It's going to be a full DA bike

    I won't have to spend a dime on anything...I'm going to clean up/touch up the frame, mount the parts and ride the #$% out of it...
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

    My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

  8. #8
    Old Skool
    Reputation: Stogaguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    831

    Thumbs up Sweet frame

    Dave, that is a sweet frame. It will look great with a "period" DA group. Say what you like about the French, but they know a thing or two about building bikes that perform well on rough roads. When you get a chance please post the geometry.
    The avatar is not me; just cool and suitably old skool.

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Kuma601's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,462
    So you're the one who won it.
    I saw that and thought..."Nice". Looking forward to the build-up.

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: boneman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    2,575

    Talking Shocking!!!

    Dave- I'm shocked with the choice of gruppo. Ha ha! Would have been nice to cobble together a Mavic SSC group but I'm sure you've looked and the prices are high, a function of limited production.

    Stronglight headset, nice touch. I've never really focused on French bikes over the years although given today's market for used quality steel, probably a great value.

    All these bikes coming in the front door...does anything ever exit out the back?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hickey
    I've been going through my parts stash this weekend and I have a complete 7/8 speed Dura Ace group... In the interest of ecomomics, It's going to be a full DA bike ...
    i've got limited minutes left in life, don't waste my time

  11. #11
    Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Reputation: Dave Hickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    20,856
    Quote Originally Posted by boneman
    .

    All these bikes coming in the front door...does anything ever exit out the back?

    Occasionally old bikes exit out the back...Most of my off the shelf fixed frames have been sold off(IRO, Soma Rush,etc...)..

    My old carbon LOOKs and Vitus are now reduced to framesets and hanging in the attic...

    Compared to some, I really don't have that many built bikes...My current fleet is about 7 built up bikes...This will make 8....(not counting my folding travel bikes. they spend their time in a suitcase waiting for trips so they don't count right? ).....I have quite a few framesets in the attic....

    I enjoy working on bikes almost as much a riding them..I spent all afternoon cleaning and polishing old parts for the Gitane...I find it very relaxing...

    The dollar amounts are as large as you'd think... I sell a lot of parts to support my addiction. I also buy complete bikes and part them out on eBay or keep the components and sell off the frames....
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

    My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

  12. #12
    Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Reputation: Dave Hickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    20,856

    Bike is finished

    Frame came yesterday. I touched up the scratches and built her up last night..

    I just came back from a 60 mile ride...She rides extremely nice
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I'm a sucker for red frames...-gitane10.jpg   I'm a sucker for red frames...-gitane11.jpg   I'm a sucker for red frames...-gitane12.jpg  
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

    My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Kuma601's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,462
    Nice build!

  14. #14
    Bikespace member
    Reputation: moschika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,464
    that is beautiful!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse D Smith
    You can always tell the guy that started his day with a proper shave versus the guy who started his day slappin' it to internet porn.

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    599
    That really came out remarkably well, dave. I just love the look of the fork crown- very svelte . I'd put it on my watch list almost as soon as it had been first posted.Had the frameset been even one cm smaller, I might have considered it myself- not often that you see any of the better Gitanes of any vintage come up for sale or auction.
    ...Then the Vitus came up for a second time.... Looks like things worked out well for the both of us.

    best,
    k

  16. #16
    Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Reputation: Dave Hickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    20,856
    Quote Originally Posted by caterham
    That really came out remarkably well, dave. I just love the look of the fork crown- very svelte . I'd put it on my watch list almost as soon as it had been first posted.Had the frameset been even one cm smaller, I might have considered it myself- not often that you see any of the better Gitanes of any vintage come up for sale or auction.
    ...Then the Vitus came up for a second time.... Looks like things worked out well for the both of us.

    best,
    k
    Thanks... I have some changes coming. I just bought some more period correct Dura Ace 7402 cranks that will be added next weekend.

    I had a pair of Dura Ace 7400 non aero brake levers but I can't find them I'll keep looking or find a pair on eBay...
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

    My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    599
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hickey
    Thanks... I have some changes coming. I just bought some more period correct Dura Ace 7402 cranks that will be added next weekend.
    fwiw- in case you encounter the inevitable cadre of purist french bike-fashion critics, Shimano on vintage french bikes is just fine- the french were fairly regularly amoungst the first european adopters of japanese componentry.in fact, in the early 80's, the andre bertin/milremo factory racing team was fully equipped with Dura Ace.



    Last edited by caterham; 09-09-2007 at 10:01 PM.

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: boneman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    2,575

    Came out nicely

    What model freewheel is that and what's the range? How was 60 miles and the single bottle carrier? My Gios only had braze on's for one bottle so for longer rides in the 70's I used to mount a handlebar TA cage. Nowadays, I'd probably just stuff another bottle in my jersey. What is your solution?

    That one's a keeper for sure.


    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hickey
    Frame came yesterday. I touched up the scratches and built her up last night..

    I just came back from a 60 mile ride...She rides extremely nice
    i've got limited minutes left in life, don't waste my time

  19. #19
    Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Reputation: Dave Hickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    20,856
    Quote Originally Posted by boneman
    What model freewheel is that and what's the range? How was 60 miles and the single bottle carrier? My Gios only had braze on's for one bottle so for longer rides in the 70's I used to mount a handlebar TA cage. Nowadays, I'd probably just stuff another bottle in my jersey. What is your solution?

    That one's a keeper for sure.
    It's a 12 x 25 cassette... I only carry one water bottle on rides. I stop around 30-40 miles for a large Gatorade and to refill my bottle... I'm sure I don't drink enough but it's the way I've always done it
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

    My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

  20. #20
    Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Reputation: Dave Hickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    20,856
    Quote Originally Posted by caterham
    fwiw- in case you encounter the inevitable cadre of purist french bike-fashion critics, Shimano on vintage french bikes is just fine- the french were fairly regularly amoungst the first european adopters of japanese componentry.in fact, in the early 80's, the andre bertin/milremo factory racing team was fully equipped with Dura Ace.

    ]

    Beautiful. I haven't really dabbled in Dura Ace AX and EX components... I'm going to have to start
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

    My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

  21. #21
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5
    I am almost finished with my 1983 Gitane Tour de France upgrade. The parts have been gathered from Puerto Rico, England and all over the US. I will be bringing it back to Seoul where I will be using it as my commuter. More to come on the merits and demerits of using tubs for commuting. My Bianchi Carbon T-Cube will be saved for weekend warrior duties...

    Before - top photo
    After - bottom photo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I'm a sucker for red frames...-.jpg   I'm a sucker for red frames...-new-baby.jpg  
    Last edited by them-apples; 04-19-2009 at 08:50 PM.

  22. #22
    duh...
    Reputation: FatTireFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    9,823
    Quote Originally Posted by them-apples
    I am almost finished with my 1983 Gitane Tour de France upgrade. The parts have been gathered from Puerto Rico, England and all over the US. I will be bringing it back to Seoul where I will be using it as my commuter. More to come on the merits and demerits of using tubs for commuting. My Bianchi Carbon T-Cube will be saved for weekend warrior duties...

    Before - top photo
    After - bottom photo


    shouldn't that be blue? renault-elf rode blue bikes
    .


    Quote Originally Posted by mikagsd
    Fat tire Fred....you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid

  23. #23
    Sleep Expert
    Reputation: Peanya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,961
    For a minute, I thought you got yet another bike. I then realized how old this post was.
    My carbon footprint has cleats

  24. #24
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    299
    I like the goldel look to it, you don't see that often.
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="http://photozbucket.com/pages/2965/"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://photozbucket.com/pages/2965/" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>

  25. #25
    Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Reputation: DrRoebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    26,990
    That is a sweet build, DH.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut
    _____________________
    L.A. Landscapes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Sea Otter Classic

Hot Deals

Contest


Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook