JP
    Lizzie will ride free

Indian Hercules DTS Popular

So three years ago a friend moved to India. I asked him to pick me up a local commuter bike. He moved back, and look what was in the container. $41 US.

It needs a sprung Brooks saddle, and I spent about an hour destickering it.

It came with a center stand that weighs more than some of my bikes. I took it off when I swapped out the tubes to something I could pump up. I'll likely remount the stand.

28 inch wheels, rod brakes, and an insanely laid back ride. I love it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Indian Hercules DTS Popular-p8032274.jpg  
    "Another shot of the 6th Street Bridge. I guess I'm feeling sentimental because word is they're going to tear it down and build a replacement." DrRoebuck

http://subterraneanhomesickrandonneurblues.blogspot.com

JP
    Lizzie will ride free
    Oh, and the bell rings really loud and long.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Indian Hercules DTS Popular-p8032276.jpg   Indian Hercules DTS Popular-p8032277.jpg   Indian Hercules DTS Popular-p8032278.jpg   Indian Hercules DTS Popular-p8032279.jpg   Indian Hercules DTS Popular-p8032280.jpg  

Indian Hercules DTS Popular-p8032281.jpg   Indian Hercules DTS Popular-p8032283.jpg   Indian Hercules DTS Popular-p8032284.jpg   Indian Hercules DTS Popular-p8032285.jpg   Indian Hercules DTS Popular-p8032286.jpg  

Indian Hercules DTS Popular-p8032288.jpg  
    "Another shot of the 6th Street Bridge. I guess I'm feeling sentimental because word is they're going to tear it down and build a replacement." DrRoebuck

Moderatus Puisne
    You have to let me ride that thing!

I'm totally doing STP on it next year! TOTALLY!

Um, do the rod brakes... work?

JP
    Lizzie will ride free
    Well, Argent, if it got here any earlier, I would have done STP on it this year. As of now I have sworn off STP, so perhaps you could use it.

The rod brakes work fine, although I suspect they will do nothing in the wet given the steel rims. I also have no idea if I could get replacement pads in these here parts, but I suspect I won't need to worry about it for a long time.

The ride is cool. The steering is sloooowwww.

your text here
    saw some rod brake bikes in rome. pretty hefty looking things.

you must have super long thumbs for that bell to mounted down there.
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

Seat's not level
    That is very cool. I have a coworker that goes back to india every other year. I've asked her to bring me back a bike and she thinks I'm crazy. She's probably right, but I'd love to add one of those to my stable.
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any man I know. -- Abraham Lincoln, Unknown , Unknown

RoadBikeReview Member
    Raleigh and Phillips (Birmingham) were two big British giant cycling companies and when the British Empire was so big, as in the sun never set in it, the two big companies actually divvied up the markets,

Raleigh found in Malaysia, in African countries like Kenya,

Phillips in Iraq, in India. I'm not an expert but I know someone who is and this is what he said.

So, though Phillips is gone as a company, the 3 speeds in India are suppose to be Phillips styled.

These bikes have made appearances on ebay.

I've looked at Indian manufacturers webpages just the way one can look at Taiwanese bike makers webpages.

Such as this page from India: http://www.sunshineexport.com/blog/index.php?blog=6

What was on the headbadge of a Phillips bike? Why a Lion of course, http://www.lionindustries.co.in/

The key here is it seems this manufacturing is mainly done in Ludhiana India, that is the keyphrase. Ludhiana must be a city in India.

The one thing I heard is sometimes Rod Brakes can get misaligned easily, but I don't know if that is true, seems the author was just throwing out his opinion.

Of course, here, Hercules was the name of another big manufacturer of bikes, maybe the 3rd biggest, there were actually quite a few brands, Rudge, Sunbeam, Pashley who are still around. www.pashley.co.uk Pashley makes way beautiful Roadsters too, workbikes too.

In quite a few places in the USA, there are British Rides, you know, real big events over weekends usually in the summer and everyone rides their vintage British (or similar, Flying Pidgeon out of China is another make of 3 speeds or Roadsters) Bike around.

One such event is the Lake Peppin challenge, http://www.home.earthlink.net/~steinborn/3speedtour.htm

I understand Philadelphia and of course, Massachussets has there fair share of events like this. I had a friend who won the most unique or amazing bike, he won it with an original 28 inch wheeled bike.

Of course, the www.oldroads.com Roadster section is a good place to ask or search for information on these bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    So rad.
    I saw a werewolf drinking a piña colada at Trader Vic's, his hair was perfect. (Warren Zevon)

RoadBikeReview Member
    We have Traveled a long way since then , From a small home industry in ludhiana producing major bicycle components, to the market leader in the bicycle industry today. The path to success was not always smooth, our growth has been directly linked to consumer satisfaction which represents the foundation of our commitment.
    http://www.anglocycles.com/company.htm

This was more of what I was looking for last night, I hadn't looked at these bikes for a couple of years.

http://www.anglocycles.com/bicycle.htm

Perfect knockoffs of Raleighs, Phillips, even a double top tube or bar on the one bike.

I'm just not sure if the outfit is wholesale or retail but some nice looking bikes all the same.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013

Hercules Popular DTS

Hi,

I have a very similar bike that i have for about 2 years and a really enjoy riding, but unfortunatly i have to sell the bike now. Im woundering if im asking too much for the bicycle or if it is the price it should be. Im selling it for 199 pounds. here is the link:
    Hercules Popular DTS Vintage Bike retro bicycle indian classic bicycle good for shop window in Shepherds Bush, London | Bikes, & Bicycles for Sale | Gumtree.com

If anyone here interested let me know.

Thanks for your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    So three years ago a friend moved to India. I asked him to pick me up a local commuter bike. He moved back, and look what was in the container. $41 US.

It needs a sprung Brooks saddle, and I spent about an hour destickering it.

It came with a center stand that weighs more than some of my bikes. I took it off when I swapped out the tubes to something I could pump up. I'll likely remount the stand.

28 inch wheels, rod brakes, and an insanely laid back ride. I love it.