RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010

Just picked up a Novara frame with Tange Prestige tubing

I have been looking for a good frame to build up for a while now. Its hard to find them small enough for my 29” inseam. But yesterday I came across an add for a Novara frame/fork combo made from Tange Prestige tubing for $75 in 50cm, perfect size. I went and looked at it today and it was in very nice condition with just a few scratches and little chips. No dents or rust and the treads are all clean. I really wanted something new enough for a 1 1/8 headset and this one has 1” of coarse. Also the color and graphics aren’t great but nothing to bad. It is a deep metallic blue with almost some dark purple in it. I am kind of a black, white, gray guy if you know what I mean. The blue isn’t too bad but I tend to like simple classic colors. I figure if I really like it when it is all done I could spend the money and get the frame powder coated if the color still bugs me.
    I almost passed because of the color and the steerer size, but I ended up taking it home. I gave the guy $75 for the frame, fork and a very nice 105 headset. I have a mostly complete Ultegra 6500 group I will build it up with. I still need a few parts and a wheelset. The wheelset will probably eat up most of my budget at this point.
    This will be my only roadie right now. It will mostly serve as my commuter now and maybe for some casual triathlons in the future. Anyone have any opinions or any info on these frames? I am new to the road bike thing, so any opinions or advice on my basic plan would be appreciated.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Pictures, my friend. Pictures.

Novara is REI's "housebrand" and they generally didn't peddle junk. Tange Prestige and lugged (you didn't say), it was probably sourced from one of the better Japanese makers.
    Anyone who believes there are no stupid questions never worked in a bike shop.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    Sorry about the lack of photos. Here goes with a few. Hopefully someone can tell me a little about the frame. Not that it realty matters, but it is just fun to know maybe who made it or that it is the same frame as XXX brand.
    (for the first time in history, the color looks BETTER in the pictures than real life LOL)

sticker on fork

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    That's a great deal....REI most likely outsourced the frame to either Panasonic or Miyata..(my guess is Panasonic judging by the lugs). You have an excellent quality lugged frame for a great price
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    forgot to add, 1993 model that came with 1055 105group if that matters.